Motoring Discussion > Local Fuel Price variations Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Perky Penguin Replies: 12

Local Fuel Price variations - Perky Penguin
Here in the East Midlands petrol prices within a town have a variation of up to 5 p a litre. I am going to France next week and went to a French site which gives fuel prices -

www.zagaz.com/

I was amazed to find that, within Calais, unleaded varies between 1.48 euros at a Renault dealer to 1.13 at the Auchan Spermarket near the tunnel. If my maths is right this a difference of 30p a litre. Any thoughts as to why it should such a wide range over there compared with here?
 Local Fuel Price variations - Shiny
At the cheaper ones in France, you have to be a member of their club and all sorts of kerfuffle, but 30p is still a lot.
 Local Fuel Price variations - Netsur
Two Shell sits in Manchester. one is about 122.9ppl and the other 130.9ppl. Both on busy main roads.
 Local Fuel Price variations - mikeyb
We have a short run on dual carriageway here - 40 MPH limit heading from / to the M5. Garage on the to motorway side is often upto 7p more. Its about 1.5 miles to go down and around the roundabout to save a few pence.
 Local Fuel Price variations - Stroudie
In the UK petrolprices.com is the site I use to look out for the best prices when we are out & about.
Prices are higher locally than in Gloucester or Cheltenham, so I try to avoid buying locally.
zagaz is a great site if your Schoolboy French is still up to it.
What I like is it's map facility, which is easy to use to locate a station and see if the prices reported are current-sometimes they are long out of date.
Before we go away I look up likely filling stations and put them in the satnav, trying to top up before we get back on the ferry.
Auchan is often cheap, but the automatic pumps will only seem to take French cards.
When I have tried them they haven't worked.
The other thing is try not to run low on a Sunday-even the big staions may be unmanned, except for the auto pumps.
 Local Fuel Price variations - PhilW
"Auchan is often cheap, but the automatic pumps will only seem to take French cards"
Oddly, when in France, I often target Auchan because I have had no problem having my Nationwide or HSBC credit and debit cards accepted. Intermarche and SuperU the same but not LeClerc.
Have often found that Champion (much smaller than the big supermatkets) have v cheap petrol and wonder if they are hoping that you will go to get fuel and also spend in shop? Bit of a loss leader perhaps?
P
 Local Fuel Price variations - Perky Penguin
My Nationwide debit and credit cards have worked at Auchan and they still don't make any charge for use within the EU plus, I find that the exchange rate I get is often up to 4 cents better than I can get at at any Bureau de Change, even Travelex and ordered on line.
 Local Fuel Price variations - Harleyman
the automatic pumps will only seem to take French cards.
>> When I have tried them they haven't worked.
>> The other thing is try not to run low on a Sunday-even the big staions
>> may be unmanned, except for the auto pumps.
>>
>>

We found this out when on a motorcycling trip a couple of years ago.

We were fortunate to find a local gentleman who understood my elementary French, and filled our tanks on his card in exchange for cash.
 Local Fuel Price variations - Bromptonaut
France had chip & pin long before we did but using their own system. British cards were accepted at the supermarket checkout but a signature was required.

In the last three years they've either adopted the same C&P software as the rest of the world or moved to compatible readers. Still not unknown for my card to be declined in the auto pumps but now tend to assume it will be accepted.

In the same vein my cousin had trouble with his mix of ozzie and singapore cards paying for a pub lunch in a Leicester suburb. And, even in an establishment that could count it's non UK clientele on one hand's fingers the machine asked if he wanted to be charged in A$ or £.
 Local Fuel Price variations - -
Topped up in the local Asda 2 days ago, popped in there this evening for some bread and Diesel's gone down by 1p to 126.9.
 Local Fuel Price variations - Zero
the three local tescos (1 tesco express so Esso) and 128.9, and the Shell and Sainsbury (have to drive past the tesco bandits to get to them) are 126.9
 Local Fuel Price variations - Bromptonaut
GB,

Wd your local Asda be Kettering?

Only that looks a lot cheaper than in the west of the county and Mrs B does some chemistry tuition Rothwell way once a week.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 10 Jan 11 at 22:33
 Local Fuel Price variations - -
>> Wd your local Asda be Kettering?

Indeed it is Brompton, usually the same price at Morrisons Kett/Corby too...incidentally Asda have card machine controlled 24 hours fuel pumps should you be passing at odd hours.

Latest Forum Posts