Motoring Discussion > Audi A6 + RS6 - Warranty Claim.... Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: a6avant Replies: 14

Audi A6 + RS6 - Warranty Claim.... - a6avant
The waterpump on my A6 1.8T has failed (not uncommon) and it hasn't caused any further problems, so the repair is straightforward. The cambelt has to be removed to replace the waterpump, and the garage won't put the old belt back on (sensibly) so have ordered a new cambelt kit. However the 3rd party warranty company won't pay for the cambelt kit, just the waterpump and all of the labour.

Should they also pay for the cambelt kit, as a used belt shouldn't be refitted, as a new cambelt is a requirement of replacing the waterpump....
 Audi A6 + RS6 - Warranty Claim.... - Fenlander
My attitude to this would depend on the timing belt interval for your car and how many miles you have to go before it needed a belt.
 Audi A6 + RS6 - Warranty Claim.... - Zero
>> Should they also pay for the cambelt kit, as a used belt shouldn't be refitted,
>> as a new cambelt is a requirement of replacing the waterpump....

No they wont pay because the belt has not failed.

thanks for the replies. I know the belt hasn't failed, but no-one recommends refitting a belt. So surely it's as much of a necessity as new G12 coolant etc which they are paying for.....

belts were done 40k ago, so not due for a while, but no harm in doing them now anyway.
 Audi A6 + RS6 - Warranty Claim.... - Zero
Absolutely no harm in doing when the pump is off, as is changing the pump when the belt is off.

The warranty company makes money by taking yours, and paying out as little as possible.

You have no hope of making them pay for a new belt.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 12 Jan 11 at 21:24
 Audi A6 + RS6 - Warranty Claim.... - Red Baron
Okay. So inform the warranty company that the old belt will be going back on and that they would be liable for the repairs to the engine should the belt fail before its scheduled point in time.
>>>belts were done 40k ago, so not due for a while.

So what's the interval? I was thinking if it was say 80K then you might argue the belt had used half its life so offer to pay half?? Having said that in just paying for the belt kit you are probably paying for less than half the total job inc labour so in fact you may not end up with any contribution to the parts.
belt change interval is 80k.

total job is £280+vat, belt kit is only £80+vat. At least I've got the warranty, so happy that at least most of it is covered.

Just wondered why they wouldn't dream of draining the coolant and reusing it, even though it was only completely flushed and refilled two weeks ago, but they're happy to reuse a belt which no-one would recommend reusing, even though it has to be removed to complete the job.

I know they've got to make money. And they've paid out more than the warranty cost me in the last 6 months, so I shouldn't grumble.....
 Audi A6 + RS6 - Warranty Claim.... - rtj70
But they probably aren't saying reuse the old belt are they - they are just not going to pay for it because it hasn't failed. I would not expect the garage to refit the old belt either.
 Audi A6 + RS6 - Warranty Claim.... - Kevin
It's standard T&Cs for most, if not all, 3rd party warranty providers. It's only an insurance policy so you need to check the exclusions as carefully as you would any other insurance.

Normally they'll pay to replace the failed component and anything else that is damaged as a direct result of that failure. They won't pay to replace wear and tear items that it would be sensible to replace at the same time.

You might have a valid claim if the Audi factory service manual specifies that the belt must be replaced as part of the pump replacement procedure ('must' rather than recommends), or the garage doing the work can show that the belt was damaged by the pump failure.

For the sake of £80 +VAT I'd pour another glass of vino and forget it.
 Audi A6 + RS6 - Warranty Claim.... - Dave
When I was doing a/c I had a number of dealings with warranty companies - all of them difficult. But when asked if they would pay for a new filter/drier after replacing the compressor they said no. I said it's good engineering practice, but their reply was "we don't pay for good engineering practice".
 Audi A6 + RS6 - Warranty Claim.... - movilogo
>> we don't pay for good engineering practice

Insurance companies are run by accountants and not by engineers.

Unfortunately it is the case with many car makers too.
>>>Unfortunately it is the case with many car makers too.

And many owners too.

Just taking timing belt related items I've had the discussion so many times *so why do I have to change the water pump/tensioners at the same time, I just want the belt done*.
 Audi A6 + RS6 - Warranty Claim.... - DP
The glass half full way of looking at it is you are getting a very cheap cambelt change (no labour cost), but I understand your frustration. I would feel the same way.

I do think warranty companies should pay for the repair method to follow the manufacturer's recommendation though. Although I don't know VAGs stance on this, I can't imagine they advocate the refitting of a used timing belt. I know Renault and Ford outright prohibit it on many of their engines.

In my view, the manufacturers service recommendations and procedures should be followed, and the warranty company should stump up accordingly.
 Audi A6 + RS6 - Warranty Claim.... - Bill Payer
>> Just wondered why they wouldn't dream of draining the coolant and reusing it,

Have you asked them that?

I'm quite surprised that don't insist the coolant is re-used, I seem to remember that catching it for re-use was an instruction common in the Haynes manuls!
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Thu 13 Jan 11 at 11:19
Latest Forum Posts