Motoring Discussion > Tyre tread Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 33

Tyre tread - SteelSpark
Just bought myself a two quid tyre gauge. The tread seems to be about 4mm, which I think is fine for now.

At what tread depth do you folks normally change your tyres?
 Tyre tread - RattleandSmoke
I replace mine is there is any sign of bulges or rubber breaking up on the sidewall or when they get down to less than 2.5mm.

Hopefully with the Panda it will be a few years before I need to replace them providing I don't get any punctures.

Tyre tread - Bromptonaut
When they get close to the wear indicators embedded in the tread; probably bout 3mm.

Rattle, I'd consider changing them after 4-5 years even if the tread's still OK. The rubber and textile/steel plies will deteriorate over time.
 Tyre tread - RattleandSmoke
I thought six years was considered the safe limit? Although in four years time I should be on 20k if I still have the car, so it will need new front tyres by then anyway. I expect the rears might give 30-40k.

Cerainly the cheap Nexen on the back of the Fiesta was on it when we bought it three and a half years ago, it was new then (previous owner put it on pass the MOT) has done 32,000 miles and it still has plenty of tread. The front ones barely seem to last 10k. They are down to about 2.5mm-3mm now but as longs as they stay legal to the next MOT they will have to do. No point spending money on a 13 year old car Fiesta.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Thu 20 Jan 11 at 23:37
 Tyre tread - RichardW
I've got one on the back of my Xantia that is probably original to the car (it's got a 2000 date stamp on it) and may well have been in use since the car was new - 110k miles. It is getting somewhere near the wear limit to be honest, but I think I've had my money's worth out of it! Xantias are not hard on their back tyres....

I had some winter tyres on last year, handed down via a friend. After I took them off, I looked up the date and they were 1984 vintage! Looked OK as they must mostly have been in the dark - they are worn out now though so I haven't refitted them this year - especially as I now know how old they are. Must remember to get some new ones in the summer when they are cheaper!
 Tyre tread - Bromptonaut
>> I've got one on the back of my Xantia that is probably original to the
>> car (it's got a 2000 date stamp on it) and may well have been in
>> use since the car was new - 110k miles. It is getting somewhere near the
>> wear limit to be honest,

Similar experience Richard except mine were slightly less worn. With fronts down near the twi's I followed advice, moved the rears forward and slapped two new Michelin Energys on the rear.

As soon as I drove off the fitters' forecourt the car felt odd. At anything over fifty if felt downright unstable and dangerous. Further checks suggested on of the old tyres had distorted slightly and a further pair of Energys were strongly advised.

Once fitted handling returned to normal.

The really worrying thing is that Mrs B was unable to notice the instability!!!
 Tyre tread - rtj70
>> When they get close to the wear indicators embedded in the tread; probably bout 3mm.

But the wear indicator is 1.6mm? i.e. they are now just legal.
 Tyre tread - Fenlander
I usually start to look around at new tyre prices when mine hit 3mm and they are always changed by the time any low areas hit 2mm-2.5mm at the very latest.
 Tyre tread - Bromptonaut
>> But the wear indicator is 1.6mm? i.e. they are now just legal.

I think rtj (and no offence intended) we're in angels on a pinhead territory. I'm replacing them when there's a mm or two above the twi; sayaround 2.5 to 3mm. And of course, however accurate tracking and alignment, wear will not be completely even across the brreadth of the runnig surface.
 Tyre tread - Old Sock

>> At what tread depth do you folks normally change your tyres?

1.61 mm
 Tyre tread - Bigtee
2mm at it's lowest point, I do rotate my tyres front / rear to maximise wear and save cash because im tight.

In the past owning my own tyre machine was fantastic, But now tyre prices seem no different to the likes of the fast fit places, Before the savings were £25-30 per tyre.
 Tyre tread - Dave_
I change mine when they're illegal.

My front tyres are Prime Well (ie budget ditchseekers), fitted 25,000 miles ago in 2008 to pass the MoT and still got 4mm remaining. Rubbish grip in the wet though, have to take it into account on greasy roundabouts. Rears are partworns, one Avon and one Tiger, not worn out yet. If they don't need swapping for the MoT this Spring (and providing it passes), I'll get some better ones put on it before next winter.

I check the tyre pressures weekly and feel for tread across the whole tyre width every time I wash the car, again weekly.
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Fri 21 Jan 11 at 10:06
 Tyre tread - Alanovich
@ Dave_TD, sounds like you know what you're doing and adapting your driving appropriately.

When I bought my Galaxy in November, it had brand new Nexen N3000s on the front, and mismatching rear tyres (one Michelin and one Goodyear) which had plenty of tread on them.

This displeased me, so I got a matching pair of Nexen N3000s for the rear (really good price through RAC Tyres, which is just blackcircles with an extra RAC member discount). The improvment in grip and handling is nothing short of staggering, especially in the wet.
 Tyre tread - sherlock47
>>Rubbish grip in the wet though, have to take it into account on greasy roundabouts.<<

Can you please publish your regn no, car details and travel plans so that I can avoid being in front of you on a wet motorway:)
 Tyre tread - Zero
Why? you wont see him till its too late.

Just relax and keep your head back.
 Tyre tread - Dave_
>> Can you please publish your.. car details.. so that I can avoid being in front of you

Certainly. I'm the one taking into account the weather, road surface and traffic conditions and the handling limitations of my car and driving accordingly. Always be able to stop within the distance you can see to be clear, isn't it? So if you know you'll take longer to stop, you allow more room.
 Tyre tread - Cliff Pope
>>
>>
>> In the past owning my own tyre machine was fantastic, >>

What does a tyre machine do? Make tyres out of old bits of rubber? Cut new treads in a bald tyre?

Or do you just mean it is easier to use than a pair of tyre levers?
 Tyre tread - Bigtee
What does a tyre machine do? Make tyres out of old bits of rubber? Cut new treads in a bald tyre?

Or do you just mean it is easier to use than a pair of tyre levers?

It's a manual tyre changer does upto 16" rims inc 4x4 tyres but not runflats unless your strong with 4x pairs of hands.!!

I have had it years and it owes me nothing i have all the gear for it inc the bar for the alloy wheels as not to scratch the rims & glue and plug patches etc.

Also have tyre bars to do them manaully but no need with machine.

It works off compressed air and you can use it with a 25ltr compressor id say minimum this one is 150ltrs for my other air tools.

Ideal if the family have a few cars & i was getting a spate of punctures so saved a few quid.
 Tyre tread - L'escargot
RoSPA recommend a minimum tyre tread depth of 3 mm and I adhere to that. www.rospa.com/roadsafety/info/tyre_tread_depth.pdf
Last edited by: L'escargot on Fri 21 Jan 11 at 10:03
 Tyre tread - tyro
Regarding age, the Tyre Council states:

"There is no known technical data that supports a specific tyre age for removal from service. However, in the interests of safety a number of vehicle and tyre manufacturers recommend that tyres (including spare tyres) that were manufactured more than a certain number of years previously be replaced with new tyres, even when they appear to be usable from their external appearance and the tread may not have reached the minimum wear out depth. It is recommended that any such instruction be followed."

The Michelin website states:

"After five years or more in service, your tyres should be thoroughly inspected at least once per year. If the need arises, follow the recommendations of the vehicle manufacturer regarding replacing the original equipment tyres. As a precaution, if the tyres have not been replaced 10 years from their date of manufacture (see how to read a tyre sidewall), Michelin recommends replacing them with new tyres. Even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread wear indicator."

I telephoned Michelin, quoted what their website said, and asked "If I have a 10 year old spare which has never been used, does that mean I should dispose of it." They replied "No - just get it checked for signs of ageing."

In answer to the original question: I used to, like Old Sock, change them at 1.61mm.

However, after discovering that at times the inside edges were considerably more worn than the centre and outside edges of tyres - and that tyres which I thought were at about 2mm actually were down to 1.6 in places, my inclination is to go for 2.5mm.

I tend to take the view, by the way, that ROSPA and the Tyre Council tend to be excessively cautious in their recommendations. There is always an element of "If you are going to give expert advice in writing, err on the side of caution in order to protect your own back."
 Tyre tread - Iffy
About 3mm for me.

I noticed my new tyres were much better in the snow.

At the time of the previous snowfall the tyres were well-worn and the grip was really rubbish.

The grip from the new tyres was just poor. :)

Last edited by: Iffy on Fri 21 Jan 11 at 10:26
 Tyre tread - Zero

When I had lease cars, the lease co would not change till it got to less than 2mm.
It was usually just ok at that level, so I will use that as my minimum.
 Tyre tread - FotheringtonTomas

When they get to the legal minimum. Where necessary, I take account of the tread depth in my driving.
 Tyre tread - captain chaos
Likewise. It was 1mm for years, would 0.6mm make that much difference? Next they'll up it to 3mm and everybody will change them at 5mm. A ploy to sell more tyres, never had a problem with grip but then I don't drive like The Stig.
 Tyre tread - movilogo
Tread depth doesn't matter if you mostly drive on dry roads.

However, with reducing tread depth, chance of aquaplaning increases.

It is best to replace when tread depth is down to 3 mm.

www.rospa.com/roadsafety/adviceandinformation/vehiclesafety/tyresafety/tread-depth.aspx
 Tyre tread - Woodster
Very funny Old Sock!, I was thinking 1.59, or when corners become much more entertaining in the wet..
 Tyre tread - FotheringtonTomas
>> Tread depth doesn't matter if you mostly drive on dry roads.
>> However, with reducing tread depth, chance of aquaplaning increases.

That's why sensible people take account of the driving conditions as well as the state of their tyres.
 Tyre tread - Woodster
Wise and exceeding useful words Fothers. Short of inspiration for some input to this thread???
 Tyre tread - madf
3mm.

We get lots of rain and horse crap on roads is lethal.
Last winter my 4mm tyres were ok and I never stopped but by summer they were down to 3mm and with prices destined to rise and VAT increases on way and a Michelin offer, I changed all 4.

That should be good for another 30k miles.
Last edited by: madf on Fri 21 Jan 11 at 14:53
 Tyre tread - Zero
Got an MOT next week, so just had the wheels off to check the pads and the tyres.

Fronts - about 5-6mm left. There were newish when i got the car, so its lost 2-3mm in 14k
miles. Damn that's good going, there's about another 14-20k left in those then!

Rears - 3 - 4mm across the width of the tyre, the outer shoulders being a bit worn and feathered. Looking at them I suspect these came off the front and were the OEM. So thats 34k up, I reckon about another 20k now they are on the back.

Dunno what it is about my driving style, but I have always got 30 - 35k out of sets of front tyres, regardless of car.

Tyre tread - Bigtee
Dunno what it is about my driving style, but I have always got 30 - 35k out of sets of front tyres, regardless of car.

You drive like a old man.!! Ooops you are an old man. :-)
 Tyre tread - Zero
and thats the point - I may be, but I dont.
 Tyre tread - Bigtee
What tyres is on your lads car and what size?

Whats his driving style like compared to yours?
 Tyre tread - Zero
I dont know! we only got it on monday!

He sheds rubber faster than anything I know tho!
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 21 Jan 11 at 17:36
Latest Forum Posts