Motoring Discussion > Lexus IS250/220D - Price....? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Dieselboy Replies: 20

Lexus IS250/220D - Price....? - Dieselboy
Picture this - a 2 owner 2006/56 Lexus IS220d with 104k on the clock. For sale at an independent for £7995 (£7695 on the website).

They say FSH but cannot provide as they need to get in contact with Lexus. I speak to a friend who has access to the service records who provides the following records of service:

Obviously, it's missing 10k, 60k, 70k. I'm guessing that once it was out of warranty at the 50k service it went to an independent until it was sold to the 2nd owner at 80k who reverted to Lexus main dealer.

Obviously it's not FSH.

The dealer has offered a fair price for my Alfa (£1250).

How much do I offer him for the Lexus, based on the incomplete history? Or do I just walk....?

Thanks all.
 Lexus IS250/220D - Price....? - Zero
Whats incomplete about that history? If you complained to me about that if you were buying I would chuck you out on the seat of your strides.

Its a 5 year old car with over 100k up, its done 20k a year and been serviced 7 times in 5 years.,

Be grateful.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 22 Jan 11 at 03:29
Eh?

The recommended service interval is 10k. Therefore it needs doing at 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100k miles. It hasn't.

Are you having a bad day, or are you always that grumpy?
just telling you that this is a five year old second hand motor, with a good service history, good pattern of usage from the sound of it, and if were selling it and your offered less because of the few missing documented service historys i would chuck you out with a flea in your ear.
 Lexus IS250/220D - Price....? - madf
Is it an SE?

Leather?

You give us insufficient information to make an informed choice.

Lexus service? Warranty offered? Colour?

We are not telepathic...

For all we know it could be specced up to the hilt with lots of goodies.

Sorry.

It isn't an SE, no. Cloth trim. It's a dark red, actually - here is the web link -

www.inceblundell.com/2751//used-cars.htm

The services that are present are all Lexus main dealer. The independent is offering a standard 3 month warranty I think. I'd be tempted to either purchase a longer one or open a "Car Repair" savings account.

Thanks.
 Lexus IS250/220D - Price....? - John H
>> 20k
>> 30k
>> 40k
>> 50k
>> 80k
>> 90k
>> 100k
>>

Who gets their service done at precise multiples of 10k?

Anyway, as zero says, at this mileage and age, provided the above service history is true, all that matters is the final Lexus service at the 100k point.
Fair enough....

Ignoring that then, what sort of price should I be aiming for? Or is that a prompt for zero to kick me out for daring to try to bargain with the dealer....?
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201103377419217

Show him this and offer him 7k.
 Lexus IS250/220D - Price....? - mikeyb
Looks a bit pricey to me - the one zero points to looks a far better buy.

Quick look around also turned up this

tinyurl.com/64869zt at 6695 looks pretty comparable to the one you have seen but I bet you could get it down a bit

Thanks guys - you're right, the one I've looked at does seem pricey. I think I'm being lazy as the garage is less than 4 miles from my house. Maybe I should cast my net further afield...
I looked on Autotrader and agree for a non SE it's pricey.

You can afford to be picky in my view: Big cars at £7-8k are not really loved.

A non SE will be more difficult to sell when you change.

For some reason dead cow skin seems to tempt buyers in older cars..
 Lexus IS250/220D - Price....? - WillDeBeest
Eight years on I understand why: I prefer fabric to sit on but the driver's seat of my S60 is showing more signs of age than the rest of the car combined. Leather seemed an expensive option at £1,200 in 2002 but I'd probably have had my money's worth by now.
 Lexus IS250/220D - Price....? - Auntie Lockbrakes
Dunno, Mr. deBeest, there's plenty of older cars around with scratched, stained, wrinkled and saggy leather seats too. Those modern fabrics can hide a lot of wear and tear.

My 12-grand Kia had a leather seats option - made me laugh, who'd bother on such a cheap car? I guess you can put lipstick on a pig ;-)
leather seats are cold in winter unless you have a seat warming package.
In summer: too hot. No-one offers a refrigeration package.

Cloth is fine if cleaned occasionally and you don't wear spurs or chaps or silly rhinestone jeans.....
 Lexus IS250/220D - Price....? - BiggerBadderDave
"In summer: too hot. No-one offers a refrigeration package."

My pimp mobile does.

"Cloth is fine if cleaned occasionally and you don't wear spurs or chaps or silly rhinestone jeans"

Which is why I have to opt for leather.
 Lexus IS250/220D - Price....? - Iffy
...No-one offers a refrigeration package...

Merc and possibly one or two others offer cooled seats.

Leaving that aside, the (heated) seats in the CC3 are part-leather which is a good compromise.

The shoulders and edges are leather which is where fabric is most likely to wear through.

Lexus IS250/220D - Price....? - corax
I don't like the shiny appearance of leather and the slipperyness when it's worn, although a good leather care product could maybe bring back the matt finish and some grip. But getting into a car with leather seats with shorts on in summer is torture - you can't always find a shady place to park the car. I put a seat cover on the drivers seat in winter (due to my job) and take it off in summer - this seriously reduces wear on cloth seats.
 Lexus IS250/220D - Price....? - Netsur
My FORD S-max has ventilated front leather seats. Fantastic in the summer and warm you up nicely in the winter.
 Lexus IS250/220D - Price....? - Runfer D'Hills
I prefer leather every time. Especially for long distance use. Cloth seats can get a bit sweaty whereas leather ones seem to breathe a bit better with your body. Couple that with them being harder wearing and easier to keep / wipe clean and I have them through choice when possible. As for temperature issues I'm usually dressed when I get into my car so it doesn't concern me much. It's really only when wearing a kilt in high summer you have to be particularly cautious.
 Lexus IS250/220D - Price....? - MD
It's rude to point.
Latest Forum Posts