Motoring Discussion > Citroen Xsara Picasso - Three bikes and three blokes - will they fit?
Thread Author: Rob81 Replies: 17

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Three bikes and three blokes - will they fit? - Rob81
Hello,
I'm going biking in Wales next weekend. There will be three of us with three mountain bikes in a Picasso. Ideally, I'd like to fit all three bikes inside the car but don't know whether they will fit. I can remove the wheels and seat posts and take the two spare seats out. Has anybody had any experience of carrying similar loads? I have a hatch mounted rack but would rather not use it if I can avoid it. As the friends I am going with are not local, I can't do a trial run!
 Citroen Xsara Picasso - Three bikes and three blokes - will they fit? - Bromptonaut
Probably OK with wheels removed but have the rack on standby in case they don't fit. A few old blankets would help protect frames if they're a squash.

Thanks, hopefully they will fit. I'm going to steal the dog's duvet to wrap the frames and a big tarp to keep the mud off the interior. I've never really trusted hatch mounted bike racks - I should really get a towbar and have a rack on that.
 Citroen Xsara Picasso - Three bikes and three blokes - will they fit? - Iffy
...I've never really trusted hatch mounted bike racks...

I tend to agree, they don't look very safe.

Of course, you could spread the load by putting one bike on the rack.

Will the bikes be muddy for the return trip?

If so, I'd look out for one of the car parks which has a bikewash.
 Citroen Xsara Picasso - Three bikes and three blokes - will they fit? - -
You need a good quality rear mounted bike rack...by the end of the day some geezer who has a fetish for dancing naked round London squares should be along with the answer to your needs.

:-)
... some geezer who has a fetish...

Not been seen for a day or two, perhaps he's having to work for a living.

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Three bikes and three blokes - will they fit? - Runfer D'Hills
Clip on one would be ideal...
 Citroen Xsara Picasso - Three bikes and three blokes - will they fit? - NeilS
Will fit fine, the Picasso is tall enough to take the bikes front wheels removed so they can stand upright with the saddles and long enough with the seats removed to not be an issue. Used to fit our 2 bikes in this way with just the centre seat removed.
The place we'll be riding on the last day has a bike wash but often has a huge queue and I don't like jet washing my bike - I worry about the bearings etc. We are meeting a friend there with a Nissan Serena (the most unpleasant car I have ever been in) so we can bundle all the muddy bikes in there after the first day. Since my original post, I have been doing a bit of googling and found reports of people fitting three bikes and three people in a focus hatch; if they can do that, I'll be fine!

I have a roof mounted rack as well but rate that as more dangerous than the boot one!
...I don't like jet washing my bike - I worry about the bearings etc...

As you say, there is a risk of washing out the grease in the bearings.

A jet-wash used carefully and only occasionally shouldn't do any damage.

Similarly, I don't blast away with the jet wash at my car's alloy wheels, taking particular care to avoid the brake callipers.

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Three bikes and three blokes - will they fit? - Bromptonaut

>> I have a roof mounted rack as well but rate that as more dangerous than
>> the boot one!

Apart from the height of the Picasso what makes roof mounting dangerous? Not a challenge to you; I'm just curious.

I've got four Halfords basics racks of the type that grip the bike by the frame's down tube and hold it upright. Far better than any rear rack whether tailgate OR tow bar mounted.
I also have Halfords roof mounted racks. The hinge arrangement looks a bit flimsy to me and I wouldn't be surprised to see it break. Also, the roofbars for my car clamp on with a threaded metal rod and plastic wingnut. My worry is the considerable drag caused by a large big at 70mph could be enough to cause a failure.

To be fair though, I have used the racks a few times without problem (before my paranoia kicked in) and think my fear may be more to do with once coming across some bikes in the middle lane of a motorway.

I always thought the towbar mounted carriers looked the most secure.
 Citroen Xsara Picasso - Three bikes and three blokes - will they fit? - Ted

The sensible approach now....

Leave the bikes at home, spend the time in the pub. Roaring log fire, a good hearty meal and no mud to worry about after.

Just a thought ! :-)

Ted
Actually, that is very tempting...
 Citroen Xsara Picasso - Three bikes and three blokes - will they fit? - Runfer D'Hills
Clearly you must do what feels right to you. No sense in being uncomfortable with your decision on what is supposed to be a fun day out.

For a word or two of encouragment if nothing else though, I use my roof mounted racks on a very regular basis. So much so that they rarely get removed from the car unless I'm going to give it a really proper clean.

I do agree that hatch mounted racks are my least favoured solution on a number of counts. I suspect them of being the least secure, they are the least convenient as they restrict access to the boot and I would think they carry the highest risk of leading to damage to bodywork. Nothing could persuade me to use one of those strap on types but the clip on style does seem much more secure. Still not keen on them though.

The tow-ball mounting systems are almost certainly the best but as you point out, the most expensive and unless you are going to make good and regular use of one that alone might be a deciding factor.

The roof mounters are my prefered option and when fitted properly are very secure. Our bikes have been transported this way most weekends for years without drama and have also gone as far as France and Spain perched up there. They don't do a lot of favours to mpg when they have bikes loaded but when empty the effect is minimal. Handling feels unaffected even at motorway speeds but I'd not be inclined to deliberately throw the car about when the bikes are aboard. Your car, like mine is quite tall so you may have to think through your loading technique a little more thoroughly. I find the trick is to open a back door and stand on the sill to better reach the racks.

As for storing the bikes inside the vehicle, well they'll go in alright if you strip them down enough but do you really want all that mud and gloop inside your car?

Anyway, have a great trip. Which part of Wales are you heading for?

Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sun 23 Jan 11 at 09:33
Thanks for that; maybe it is time I gave the roof mounted racks another go. A lot of mud can stick to a bike after a ride in Wales in January and I don really want it in my car! We're heading to North Wales, Penmachno on Saturday and Llandegla on Sunday. It's a bit of a hike from Suffolk but well worth it when we arrive.
Good stuff, let us know how you get on. We've just loaded ours on and are off to Delamere forest today. Bit dreich here so wrapped up warm.
 Citroen Xsara Picasso - Three bikes and three blokes - will they fit? - Westpig
Have you got extra rear lights etc for the hatch mounted rack. It's a red rag to a bull for what m/way police we've got left, if you don't bother...that might be enough to ruin the trip.

Anywhere near cities etc, you might get away with it...ruralshire, maybe not.
Latest Forum Posts