Motoring Discussion > Driving in Switzerland Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 21

Driving in Switzerland - borasport
We may be going to Switzerland in the summer, and we'd probably drive. Is there anuytihng in particular about driving in Switzerland we ought to take into account ?
 Driving in Switzerland - paulb
You'll need a vignette motorway permit - best to obtain one online before you go. Long queues at the borders to buy them and if you are entering the country on a motorway route you WILL be directed to the back of the queue if you aren't displaying one. Last one I bought cost about CHF 40.

I did once manage to buy one at a German motorway service area near Freiburg-im-Breisgau - they were selling them next to a big sign proclaiming that they were cheaper there than at the border - but I wouldn't rely on that method again. Internet is the most convenient method now.

I did also once manage to drive into Switzerland without buying one, by crossing an urban border somewhere near Geneva, but it's not to be recommended and I doubt it would be possible now. No doubt others will be able to confirm/deny this.
Last edited by: paulb on Sun 23 Jan 11 at 13:17
 Driving in Switzerland - Zero
can confirm the queues at the border if you don't buy it before hand.

Apart from that, just like driving anywhere else in Europe, tho can be crowded on the major routes to france, germany, italy and austria.
 Driving in Switzerland - PR
Yes choosing a suitable border crossing can save time. I find that the German-Swiss border at Basel is worse than the French-Swiss border, also in Basel.

Motorways are generally good. Speeding in tunnels doubles the fines and the locals seem to obey.

One of the motorway services we stopped at just south of the Gottard has pay toilets, which surprised me!

Petrol is cheaper than France, diesel isnt
 Driving in Switzerland - Boxsterboy
The only problem with buying a vignette before you go is that the Swiss Travel centre insist on delivering by DHL Courier, at an additional cost of 25SFr. How much do you value time spent in a queue to save it though? Last time we crossed into Switzerland (on Boxing Day through the Jura mountains) there was no queue at all, but have seen long queues on motorway entries (as one might expect).
>> The only problem with buying a vignette before you go is that the Swiss Travel
>> centre insist on delivering by DHL Courier, at an additional cost of 25SFr.

Is that new? My last one in 2009 arrived first class post.
Same here.
That's what they insisted on last week, and we don't leave for another month. Couldn't 'untick' the DHL delivery box.
Hmm, wonder if the recent Royal Mail service level issues had anything to do with that?
 Driving in Switzerland - PR
There are 2 sites to get the vignette IIRC.

This one doesnt charge for delivery, but does charge a £3.50 booking fee...

rail.stc.co.uk/userdata_vignette.php?passid=5&frame=1&system=GB&affiliateid=45
 Driving in Switzerland - JohnM{P}
Be especially aware of the speed limit in motorway tunnels...
 Driving in Switzerland - Collos
In a months time it will still be the winter tyre season in both Switzerland and Germany.
 Driving in Switzerland - Jacks
I went in the summer, bought my vignette here

tinyurl.com/64qw9t6

It came 1st class post.

I crossed from France into Basel Saturday afternoon about 2 pm - end of June - no queues.

Be aware that if the vignett isn't securely fixed directly to the windscreen it doesn't count and you will be fined if spotted - this is to stop people transferring the vignette between cars. They are now constructed in such a way that the vignette will be destroyed when it is removed from the windscreen.

Jacks
 Driving in Switzerland - Bromptonaut
You only need the vignette if using Swiss motorways yes?

I've crossed the Franco-Swiss border numerous times in the Gex/Divonne/Geneva area. travelled along the lake and around vrious trunk and minor roads without challenge. CH too expensive to stay though; back into France for the overnight.

Pretty much like rest of Europe otherwise, possibly more Germany than France. traffic lights are like ours with a red/amber phase, none of the French Red/Green PAAARP stuff!!

Our only problem was in Geneva where parking the Berlingo, 2.3m with top box, was a pain. Practically all the city centre car parks are undrground and limited to 1.8m or so. In the end we had to park on the Lakeside a mile or so out and walk back in.
 Driving in Switzerland - Bellboy
dont forget to try the tageshit in the service stations
 Driving in Switzerland - njgleeds
No wonder us Brits have a tarnished reputation abroad if that's the sort of thing we get up to, bb...
 Driving in Switzerland - borasport
>> CH too expensive to stay though back into France for the overnight.

It does sound pretty expensive, but we've been offered free use of an apartment, so the current plan is to stock up with comestibles at a Carrefour or somesuch before the border
 Driving in Switzerland - Biggles
>the current plan is to stock up with comestibles at a Carrefour or somesuch before the border

Make sure you do not exceed the duty free limits then. Also, if you don't want your car crushed, limit your spending money (or the money you want to pay into the Swiss bank account) to €10 000 per head. Speed cameras are everywhere.
>> into the Swiss bank account) to €10 000 per head. Speed cameras are everywhere.

I dont think I stuck to a single speed limit in Switzerland. I survived.
>> I dont think I stuck to a single speed limit in Switzerland. I survived.
>>

Same here. A lot of the locals seem to do it too.

I now realise why STC charged me Sfr25 for delivering my vignette. If you put your departure date within 3 weeks of ordering, the DHL charge pops up. I put an earlier departure date than our actual one (to be on the safe side) and so got stung. Lesson learnt!
 Driving in Switzerland - big bird
I live in Switzerland close to the French border near Geneva, the area Bromptonaut refers to, so a few pointers first hand.

Don’t try and drive at UK speeds unless you are feeling wealthy, the fines rapidly get very expensive (I’ve had a CHF 250 = £150) for just 11 kph over the limit.

The locals all speed, but the Swiss are wealthier and they know where the cameras usually are, you won’t as they will not be in the satnav database.

Dan
 Driving in Switzerland - big bird
If you cross at a motorway entrance, such as Geneva A41/A1 or Basel A35/A3 without a Vignette you’ll be directed to the side, charged CHF40/Euro30 and the vignette will be stuck straight to your windscreen.

If you come over one of the very many unmanned border crossings, you wont have to buy a vignette, but they are sold at pretty much all the petrol stations.
Its well worth it unless you are just ’dipping in’ for a few hours as the motorways are good and clear outside of city commuting times.
Latest Forum Posts