Motoring Discussion > Here comes the summer Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 14

Here comes the summer - Iffy
Well, not quite.

But I did have a recreational run up to Holy Island, off Northumberland, at the weekend.

The tidal causeway fascinates me, and I like to sit and watch the tide come in and cover the road.

The water rises fairly fast, so it's either stand well back, or pay close attention.

A bit of sunshine meant I could drop the roof on the CC3 for an hour or so.

I'd miss a convertible now, the open top gives such a different and better view of the road and surrounding countryside.

Slight blot on the journey was congestion at the Tyne Tunnel on the way back.

It's only one lane in each direction, but the new one is due to open next year.

Google Maps told me my fuel costs were about £20, which is bearable.

It would be a great shame if prices rose so high as to preclude the occasional run out for the sake of it.

Does anyone else plan to come out of touring hibernation in the coming weeks?

Last edited by: Iffy on Mon 24 Jan 11 at 12:15
 Here comes the summer - R.P.
I think the Kawasaki will - for the Dragon Rally next month - weather permitting !
 Here comes the summer - bathtub tom
Others were also out this weekend:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHb1lk_LvDI
 Here comes the summer - Snakey
>>
>> Slight blot on the journey was congestion at the Tyne Tunnel on the way back.
>>

That 'blot' is what I have to endure every day. Hateful dump and not likely to get any better with the new tunnel opening either. New tunnel opens, old tunnel closes so no better off! At some point in the distant future both tunnels will be open but it will be eye wateringly expensive to use.
...but it will be eye wateringly expensive to use...

Currently £1.20 each way, which I think members elsewhere in the country would regard as cheap.

I didn't know the old tunnel is to shut temporarily.

Is the new tunnel one lane in each direction or two?

Here comes the summer - Alanovich

>> Currently £1.20 each way, which I think members elsewhere in the country would regard >> as cheap

No kidding!!

40p one way on this bridge just outside Reading. Wasn't really construted that recently, so I imagine it's been paid for a few times over already..........

www.whitchurchbridge.com/rates.html#Cash

£1.20 for a short, dirty, poorly maintained tunnel is a disgrace! Thats £12 a week on top of your petrol bill for a tunnel that has been paid for 100 times over.

The new tunnel is single lane each way as well - really thinking ahead!
....No kidding!!...

Dartford river crossing is £1.50 each way.

Severn Bridge is £5.70, charged in one direction only.

...£12 a week on top of your petrol...

Snakey,

Can you not get a small 'season ticket' reduction?

Last edited by: Iffy on Mon 24 Jan 11 at 13:32
Well, you get a 10% discount if you get a permit. Doesn't get you through any quicker but it means you don't have to keep cash in the car.
 Here comes the summer - Zero
>> >>
>> >> Slight blot on the journey was congestion at the Tyne Tunnel on the way
>> back.

The A1 was shut then?
....The A1 was shut then?...

Nope, but I had trundled down the coast road which leads onto the A19, not the A1

Also, the A1 past the MetroCentre/Angel of the North is almost guaranteed congestion in the early evening.

And the A19 route is a few miles shorter.

Here comes the summer - Dog
The Tamar Bridge crossing from Cornwall to England is £1.50 for a car or small van, return 'free'.

If one has a TamarTag (Automatic Vehicle Identification System) the fee is 75p.
 Here comes the summer - Ted
The Warburton toll bridge is a ridiculous 12p for bikers. It is for crossing a very old bridge across the River Mersey. The Mersey is no longer there, having been incorporated into the Manchester Ship Canal in the 1890s. The Sip Canal company built a high level cantilever bridge but you have to go over the old Mersey bridge to get to or from it.

I say ridiculous because you have to stop the bike, take a glove off, get the money out, wait for change, put the change away and put your glove back on. All that holds the queue up very nicely.
Just how many bikes use it in a day ? A couple of quid's worth probably. Be better if it was free !

Ted
 Here comes the summer - Mapmaker
I remember when that cost sixpence (i.e. 2.5p) - up until about 1980 I guess. Nice to pay with a silver coin.
 Here comes the summer - NeilS
>>>Does anyone else plan to come out of touring hibernation in the coming weeks?

Sort of - I'm driving from Slough to Camborne on Wednesday on business and staying overnight in Bodmin with the Thursday morning free. Early start, head for somewhere near the middle of the moor, park up and weather permitting some sort of walk with the camera. Business appointment late afternoon in Bristol - maybe the docks if I have some time.

Friday is appointments in Luton and Hemel so haven't given much thought to "touring' that day.

Latest Forum Posts