Motoring Discussion > Is Dinitrol really any good? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 8

Is Dinitrol really any good? - Dave
I made some extended sides for my little trailer. On the rear panel I used a couple of regular lift-off type hinges on one end and a couple of over centre clips, so I have a side opening door that can be lifted off if needed. They were the usual zinc plated stuff from the DIY shop. So I liberally applied Dinitrol general purpose wax.

After a couple of times using the trailer on the salted roads, they're now all covered in rust.

They were well coated, and the hinges aren't subject to any abrasion or handling. And they've never been washed. So how come they're all rusty?
 Is Dinitrol really any good? - madf
Zinc plated ? and they rust?

Forget the Dinitrol .. you've bought bad hinges.
 Is Dinitrol really any good? - Cliff Pope
Zinc plated doesn't mean galvanised. It means they stay shiny as long as you keep them in the packet.
 Is Dinitrol really any good? - Iffy
...It means they stay shiny as long as you keep them in the packet...

Nicely put.

I didn't know there was such a difference between zinc plated and galvanised.

Is Dinitrol really any good? - Bellboy
i would have painted then dinitroled
the stuff does work but you have to see it for what it is and what it can realistically do
 Is Dinitrol really any good? - Dave
>> i would have painted then dinitroled
>> the stuff does work but you have to see it for what it is and
>> what it can realistically do
>>

Well it says on the tin that it prevents corrosion on metal, so that was what I was expecting it to do. Especially as they were corrosion free to start with.

It didn't say on the packet where they were made, but I could take an educated guess. Maybe there was already corrosion under the thin zinc, but assuming the Dinitrol would keep out the moisture, the should stay in pretty good condition.
 Is Dinitrol really any good? - L'escargot
>> Zinc plated doesn't mean galvanised. It means they stay shiny as long as you keep
>> them in the packet.
>>

There's nothing wrong with zinc plating provided that it's carried out to an appropriate standard. It's not as crude or as ineffective as your post suggests. www.mpeastern.co.uk/pdfs/zinc-plating-info.pdf
 Is Dinitrol really any good? - Cliff Pope
Well may be, but you can't beat a solidly made component dripping with zinc from having been dunked in a tank of molten metal. Most cheap hinges and bolts that claim to be zinc plated are as shoddy as "brass effect" door furniture. In my experience.
 Is Dinitrol really any good? - L'escargot
>> Well may be, but you can't beat a solidly made component dripping with zinc from
>> having been dunked in a tank of molten metal.

Dunking a bolt in molten zinc would result in an oversize thread covered in lumps of zinc. It probably wouldn't screw in.

My final employer bought lots of zinc plated components for use in commercial vehicle braking systems. The zinc plating was to their specifification and they carried out controlled corrosion tests in their laboratory on the components to ensure that they were satisfactory. Your car will no doubt have zinc plated components similarly specified and tested.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 25 Jan 11 at 09:20
Latest Forum Posts