Motoring Discussion > Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 60

Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - Hard Cheese

I am posting this in hospital having had a heart pacemaker fitted today, the need came about quite urgently due to a long term condition impacting on my heart. My heart works fine as a pump, no blocked arteries etc, rather it is the electrical signals that are the problem. Perhaps I will post in non motoring and see if anyone has any experinces to share.

Any way I cannot drive for a few weeks that is going to be strange.
 Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - R.P.
All the best Cheddar
 Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - RattleandSmoke
Good luck :). Hopefully there are some public transport services near you. As longs as there is a bus/train into your local town you can get pretty much most places it just takes so much longer.

It dosn't sound like you will be up to doing much traveling anyway :). I hope you have people around you that can give you lifts etc.
 Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - Stuartli
Sorry to hear your news Cheddar - hope it won't be long before you are fully back in action.
 Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - Stuu
A new ECU, hope you got the latest software upgrades :-)

Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - Zero
I'm pretty sure you can blame it on McLaren.
 Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - rtj70
All the best Cheddar. Hope you recover quickly.
 Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - Skoda
Speedy recovery Cheddar!

P.s. If the Flying machine needs 'exercising' just shout :-) I wouldn't even charge!
 Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - Focusless
>> P.s. If the Flying machine needs 'exercising' just shout :-) I wouldn't even charge!

Current Focus owners (especially mk1s) take priority, sorry.

EDIT: get well soon :)
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 26 Jan 11 at 22:53
Thanks guys, I was hoping for a 1TB hard drive + Bluetooth ...
 Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - PeterS
All the best Cheddar - hope you're driving again soon!!

Peter
 Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - Ted

Wishing you all the best, mate. When it's done, I recommend a 100AH leisure battery and a decent set of jump leads. That'll keep you active !

I'm the opposite, electrics ok but a couple of hoses blocked. they didn't seem to worry too much in cardiac care and I've survived 17 yrs since.

You'll be a new man !

Ted
 Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - R.P.
Remember to earth yourself if your doing a jump start, don't want you blowing any output diodes.
Apart from joking around is there actually a serious threat that any exposure to even the slightest current could damage the pace maker?
 Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - Focusless
>> Apart from joking around is there actually a serious threat that any exposure to even
>> the slightest current could damage the pace maker?

SWMBO went off the idea of induction hobs on the cooker for the new kitchen after hearing they can affect pacemakers. (Not that she's got one - just worried about 'force fields'.)

>> Apart from joking around is there actually a serious threat that any exposure to even
>> the slightest current could damage the pace maker?
>>

No apparently not.
Should be ok then, I think I would still avoid jump starting cars though or at least buy the most expensive leads possible.

Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Wed 26 Jan 11 at 23:24
 Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - bathtub tom
Best wishes.

Does battery driven mean you avoid London's congestion charge?
 Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - Armel Coussine
I've had one for the last couple of years, Cheddar. They seem to work very well.

I passed out several times one evening. It was most unpleasant. Apparently my heartbeat, from being slow like an athlete's, had started pausing for long periods. The longest they recorded when I went to the a&e was eight and a half seconds. They whipped me in and operated next day. The op was pretty unpleasant under local, worse than usual I believe.

Apparently Tony Blair had one put in too. In his case his heartbeat was racing I think, rather than slowing down. Which way round was yours I wonder? There are three types of pacemaker wwith one, two and three wires into the heart. Mine has two.

Don't worry. It's an effective technology. Hope you aren't feeling too bad. Anxiety is the great enemy. Try not to listen to the ticker!

Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - Kevin
>Apparently Tony Blair had one put in too.

Where? And did we pay for it?
 Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - rtj70
I thought Tony Blair had some form of fibrillation and had his heart shocked back into rhythm.

I assume Cheddar is different as he's had a pacemaker. Or did it start this way?

I don't want to nose but others on here might be in need of similar treatment in future for similar problems. e.g. heavy drinking will lead to atrial fibrillation.

>> I assume Cheddar is different as he's had a pacemaker. Or did it start this
>> way?
>>

I am/was at slight risk of ventricular fibrilation hence I have an ICD which paces and defibrilates if necessary as a last resort.
 Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - bathtub tom
>>heavy drinking will lead to atrial fibrillation.

Not necessarily alcohol. Mine was put down to the 15 -20 cups of tea and coffee each day (although the alcohol didn't help).
Oh, and there's no threat from electric currents as such. The threat is from powerful magnetic fields. This may (or may not) include hybrid or electric cars. When I asked the pacemaker people in the hospital, they said they didn't really know, they doubted it, it might just be the car makers playing safe. But one is advised not to be a roadie (big speakers have huge magnets) or work in a breaker's yard (magnets for lifting scrap iron).

When you fly, you don't have to go through the magnetic scanner at the airport. They feel you up instead.

(Oh shut up Kevin. This isn't a political thread.)
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 26 Jan 11 at 23:52
>> may (or may not) include hybrid or electric cars.
>>

Great, an excuse to stay with powerful petrol engines ;-),,
Last edited by: Cheddar on Wed 26 Jan 11 at 23:56
Thanks AC, I will give more details when back on the PC, I am posting this eve from my hospital bed on my Xperia X10i.
Further to: they told me not to drive for 'a few days', not 'a few weeks'!

Perhaps they sussed I wouldn't be able to give it up for that long.

:o}
It is not yet clear how long though at least two weeks I understand.

Mine was a heart attack in the small hours... fascinating stuff although i wasn't awake to catch all the treatment.
I woke with lower back pain....uncomfortable but not too painful. Thought it was wind or indigestion. Tried all positions and eventually cried out, waking SWMBO. She phoned emerg. doc and he phoned ambulance. There in 4 or 5 minutes. Paramedic diagnosed me.
Off we go with blues on but no music 'cos of the time. Hospital 5 mins away, thank God.
( Now demolished ). Onto trolley, ECG hooked up....nothing. Staff changing shift. one notices machine going crsckers. Then I passed out. I often think about what might have been, if I'd been away camping or something.

Woke in the morning with 3/4 million units of streptokynase inside me and worried family round the bedside asking where I'd hidden my will. All good fun. 3 days hooked up and 10 days on the ward. Spent the summer relaxing, sat in the garden. It was a nice warm summer and I got out my books, electronic chess and watercolours. Waited on hand and foot with a steady stream of visitors.

Can't fault the NHS, even in a hospital that used to be a Victorian workhouse !

Ted
 Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - Londoner
>> Can't fault the NHS, even in a hospital that used to be a Victorian workhouse
Agreed! I had an operation in November last year and the care was world-class.

Back on topic...
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Cheddar. You'll be back behind the wheel in no time.
 Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - Roger.
I have had auricular fibrillation for years now. This is due to an electrical impulse employed in triggering the pumping action, not working quite as it should.
Mine has been very successfully treated with a drug - Amiodarone.
The only downside is that one of the side-effects is increasing one's skin's sensitivity to the UV radiation in sunlight. Mine has only been moderate: necessitating only 20 minutes or so in the sun without factor 60, wearing a hat in bright sunshine and that's about it.
I understand some reactions to sun are much more severe, so I'm lucky.

Thanks again all, actually I am being done privately for the price of a nice new car. Thankfully the insurer is paying and also thankfully when headhunted back into the corporate world (from self employment) I accepted a job offer that brought the insurance as one of many incremental benefits.

However the NHS can always be relied upon. I have had extensive NHS treatment for the underlying condition that has now spread to my heart.

Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - Pat
Best wishes Cheddar and good to see you posting on here.

Pat
 Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - Fenlander
All the best Cheddar.... up and about soon I'm sure... that hi-fi needs a bit of final tweaking.

Which reminds me...
 Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - MD
All the best Matey.

MD
>> Can't fault the NHS, even in a hospital that used to be a Victorian workhouse

For one brief moment I thought that said wh orehouse.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 27 Jan 11 at 09:03
 Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - Dog
>>Mine was a heart attack in the small hours... fascinating stuff although i wasn't awake to catch all the treatment<<

If you're c65 now Teddo, and that occurred 17 years ago, you must have have been a youngster then!

Still a youngster, El Doggo.
Or, at least, behaving like one when i can !

Teddo
>> Thanks AC, I will give more details when back on the PC, I am posting
>> this eve from my hospital bed on my Xperia X10i.

Should have got the iphone. It has a heart monitoring app.
AC said:

>> I've had one for the last couple of years, Cheddar. They seem to work very
>> well.

Apart from the odd occasional sudden episode of increased blood pressure.... ;P
 Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - Runfer D'Hills
Best wishes Cheddar. Hope you are back in top form soon.
 Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - Perky Penguin
Hope you continue to make good progress Cheddar. Having just retired from the NHS I can say that I am amazed at the skill and knowledge of both nurses and paramedics. Most of them are about 1/4 of the way, or more, towards having the skills and knowledge of a trained doctor and this widespread level of skill is clearly a life-saver. Some pople do have bad experiences of service from the NHS but I think most of us do very well with it.
Thanks again all, still in top form Humph, after all I have just been chipped!
 Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - bhoywonder
Hi Cheddar,

Hope all goes well and you make a swift recovery.

I have problems with the electrical signals as well. Right bundle branch block which was picked up on a routine ECG that my health centre started doing. Totally carped myself when I was told but once the doctor explained what was happening and the fact there was a high probability that it has been there from birth.
That was 3 years ago now and I never really think about any more. Still going to the gym and playing football.
 Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - Old Navy
All the best Cheddar, I have survived three medical nasties and am now fit again. It takes time, but I was fortunate, hope you are too.
My eldest daughter became a paramedic soon after my little tickle with the reaper.
She's never said, but I think that's what inspired her.

Ted
 Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - Robin O'Reliant
Good luck cheddar, I hope they didn't let the apprentice fit it!
 Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - Mapmaker
Ouch. Best of luck.
 Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - Runfer D'Hills
Moved to wonder what happens when the battery runs out? I mean surely one day you're as active as a Duracell bunny and then...? I think I'd want a wind up one with a discreet little handle so you could give yourself a little boost before running for a bus or wharever. S'pose they must have thought about that.

Glad you're in good spirits Cheddar.

At home now and on the PC rather that the phone so some more info:

I was diganosed with Sarcoidosis about five years ago this is a calcification of tissue (sarcoid means cancer in Latin though it is know not to be a type of cancer) typically affects the lungs though rarely other parts of the body. I have been on and off steroids for that time.

During last year I noticed "missing" heart beats which were initially diagnosed as ectopic beats and quite normal, subsequently an MRI scan diagnosed cardiac Sarcoidosis with a risk of ventricular tachycardia etc hence the fitment of and ICD which has a defibrilation function as well as pace making.

So day-to-day it will do nothing though if, I say IF, my heart slows to much it will be paced, IF it goes above 180 bpm it will be paced, IF it stops or goes above 220 bpm it will be defibrilated.

Kind of reassuring though difficult to get the head around it currently, it was only two weeks ago I was advised that this was the best option.

Off the road for a month, actually it is one day down already and thirty to go.

Thanks and regards all.

Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - VxFan
Chances are you'll be back behind the wheel before you know it Cheddar.

My late father was diagnosed with a condition called heart block. 2 months after having a pace maker fitted he was declared fit enough to drive again.

>> Chances are you'll be back behind the wheel before you know it Cheddar.
>>

Thanks Dave, only 29 days today !

Heart block is a break down in the conductivity within the heart, not unrealted to my issue, my heart works fine no blocked or furred up arteries, I have had stress ECGs on a treadmill with it at 150 ish bpm and no issues however at "idle" it misses beats etc and there is a small risk of the rhythm going out of control.

Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - BiggerBadderDave
I've bought you a little gift Cheddar, something you can play with the nurses while you recover.

tinyurl.com/67zl8d7

Where shall I send it?

Thanks Dave though actually we have got one!

Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - sherlock47
Best wishes - I will make sure that I have an extra glass of rouge for you in France next week. They say that the mediterranean diet is good for you - so maybe twice as much is twice as good;)?

tinyurl.com/redwineparadox

Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - Bellboy
all the best from me too mr c
dont let them fob you off with a flying bomb as the battery of choice though :-)
 Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - L'escargot
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

13 days down, 18 to go, its actually going quite quickly ...

Cant drive for a few weeks, medical issue - Pat
By Sunday you'll be halfway there Cheddar.

How are you feeling?

Pat

Feeling pretty good Pat thanks, a little discomfort from the op still though that is to be expected. The main issue is getting your head around the fact that there is this device embedded in you, on the otherhand it is reassuring to know it is there if it is needed.

>> this device embedded in you, on the otherhand it is reassuring to know it is there if it is needed.

Yeah, we're cyborgs. First time he saw me after mine was put in, my Iraqi pal addressed me as 'Robocop'.

:o}
Latest Forum Posts