Motoring Discussion > Changing a reg number - grace period ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 4

Changing a reg number - grace period ? - Hard Cheese

We are putting the private plate that was on my Mondeo on the BMW, we have received from the DVLA the V948 form authorising the production of new plates and a new tax disc featuring the new reg number.

As per another thread I am unable to drive currently and it will be mid next week before my wife can get to the BMW dealer to have some plates made up (we would prefer the plates to be from a BWW dealer rather than feature Halfords or an indy car shop).

So how long do we have to get plates made up? I mean we could have headed off away for two weeks the day before the paperwork arrived, therfore there must be a grace period.

Any ideas or experiences?

Changing a reg number - grace period ? - Hard Cheese

Thanks for your help guys ;-)

Sorted it, no cost to change the reg number on the insurance and got some plates from the BMW dealer on Saturday.

Strange to see the the plate that was on the Mondeo for 8.5 years now on the BMW.

Changing a reg number - grace period ? - 832ark
Would have been easier and no doubt cheaper to just order some off the web. I always order mine off the web, no faffing with V5s and ID and no nasty suppliers details. I really don't understand the rules re V5s and ID all it does is inconvenience the law abiding motorist.
 Changing a reg number - grace period ? - Bellboy
being a fully paid up member of the £40 club and having to keep records of all number platers bought i find it a travesty that joe public can buy show plates with no id from over a border
 Changing a reg number - grace period ? - PeterS
I'm not sure how much cheaper it would be; I've bough a set of plates from both BMW and Audi main dealers, and each time they were less than £25 fitted.

In the case of Audi it also included a new tax disc holder and 2 keyrings, thus completing rebranding the car from Cardiff Audi to Worthing Audi!!

Peter
Latest Forum Posts