Motoring Discussion > Lorry overturned on Barton Bridge - ouch Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 15

Lorry overturned on Barton Bridge - ouch - RattleandSmoke
tinyurl.com/6dlha32 link shortened to restore correct page width

I feel sorry for anybody traped on this bridge, it is windy on there at the best of times yet alone in gale force winds.

A relative had to attend an accident on there once and he said in his 30 years of being in the police that was one of the most scary moments.

Thankfully the driver seems to be ok.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 7 Feb 11 at 13:52
 Lorry overturned on Barton Bridge - ouch - VxFan
Rattle, could you use tinyurl (or other link shortening pages) when posting long links - ta.
 Lorry overturned on Barton Bridge - ouch - Stuartli
I'm sure Rattle is well aware of TinyURL but, if not:

tinyurl.com/
 Lorry overturned on Barton Bridge - ouch - Bellboy
i prefer
goo.gl
 Lorry overturned on Barton Bridge - ouch - Dave_
Just listened to Sally Traffic on the wireless. Seems there are at least a dozen overturned lorries just on the major routes today.
 Lorry overturned on Barton Bridge - ouch - RattleandSmoke
It is bad enough in my Panda sometimes if you get a sudden gut of winds (it is narrow and tall) so I can't imagine what it must be like in a 44 tonne artic.

Thankfully it seems the worst injuries are shock, the Barton Bridge accident could have been a lot worse if it fell of the bridge though.
 Lorry overturned on Barton Bridge - ouch - Pat
Rattle I love your typo's:)

>>in my Panda sometimes if you get a sudden gut of winds <<

I have a vision of your Panda letting out one almighty backfire from the exhaust pipe and going into almost vertical take off. Of course a packet of Rennies come into view.....

Pat
 Lorry overturned on Barton Bridge - ouch - Ted

Liquid Gaviscon in the oil is better, Pat.

Ted
 Lorry overturned on Barton Bridge - ouch - hobby
Pat are there any rules for HGVs about reducing speed when the gales are really bad or is it just down to common sense (or lack of)? I know they are banned from certain bridges but wondered if there was anything else...

On the East Coast Main Line the electrics are limited to 80mph when it gets really bad, damn pain as we can still do 125 but get stuck behind them!
Last edited by: hobby on Mon 7 Feb 11 at 19:53
 Lorry overturned on Barton Bridge - ouch - Bill Payer
In the first picture in the OPs link - did the Beetle really just drive to front of the queue?!!
 Lorry overturned on Barton Bridge - ouch - Dave_
>> did the Beetle really just drive to front of the queue?!!

Lime green, BUG numberplate.... Yep, probably didn't see it til the last second :)
 Lorry overturned on Barton Bridge - ouch - Bromptonaut
>> On the East Coast Main Line the electrics are limited to 80mph when it gets
>> really bad, damn pain as we can still do 125 but get stuck behind them!

Presumably that's down to the cheapskate OHLE on the ECML rather than the windload on 91+Mk4 rake.
 Lorry overturned on Barton Bridge - ouch - rtj70
Spotted the problem around 3pm and live images from the cameras showed it was shut both ways. Knowing how bad the journey from near Risley can be at the end of the day.... did it in around half the normal time leaving at 6pm. Accident must have had a good effect.

More overturned lorries on the M60 mid afternoon please ;-) I jest. Glad the driver was safe! It was windy on the Barton bridge this morning too when I crossed it in the other direction.... came back via the M6.
> Presumably that's down to the cheapskate OHLE on the ECML rather than the windload on
>> 91+Mk4 rake.
>>

Yep, I think it is, though if it gets really bad they do the same elsewhere...
 Lorry overturned on Barton Bridge - ouch - Pat
No there are no specific rules hobby at all, and it would be difficult as it depends upon whether you're loaded or not, what design of trailer you have, and if you're part loaded, where that weight is placed in the trailer.

So it is just down to common sense.

There isn't any real guidance either as opinions vary on whether speed has an effect, so really we just pray for the road to be closed to high siders.

That takes the decision away and stops the traffic office sitting in a nice calm atmosphere, calling us numpties for pulling over because it isn't blowing that hard where they are.

Pat
Thanks Pat... I suppose in an industry as unregulated as yours it just wouldn't be possible (as compared with railways and airfreight, btw!)...
Latest Forum Posts