Motoring Discussion > Mudflaps, again. :-) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 12

Mudflaps, again. :-) - Old Navy
On another forum a contributer seems convinced that the larger the mudflaps the cleaner his car will stay. He has fitted rally flaps on top of his manufacturers flaps. I maintain that flaps are only to help protect the paintwork from stone and grit damage.

Your opinions ?
 Mudflaps, again. :-) - jc2
That's why I only have front ones-not worried about the car behind.Having said that,one of my cars has front and rear-only because I asked for front and they fitted rear from force of habit-fronts were then fitted free.
 Mudflaps, again. :-) - Iffy
The standard Focus flaps prevent mud and road dirt being flung onto the paintwork.

I know this because a front one fell off and the difference compared to the other side of the car was quickly apparent.

Mudflaps, again. :-) - Bellboy
depends on the car i would have thought
personally those big lumps of gaudish plastic on road going subarusks do nothing for me
 Mudflaps, again. :-) - Injection Doc
Mudflaps work extremley well on my wifes fiesta and significantly reduces the amount of crud! we have one C1 with and one without & oh boy the one without will soon be having them fitted! can't belive how quickly the tail gate and front doors are covered in crud! on the one without flaps.
 Mudflaps, again. :-) - Dave_
>> seems convinced that the larger the mudflaps the cleaner his car will stay

Doesn't work on lorries. They have HUGE mudflaps but still get absolutely caked in road muck.
 Mudflaps, again. :-) - Stuartli
My former Bora had original VW mudflaps all round and they certainly kept the muck off the bodywork.

The replacement Jetta hasn't and needs cleaning at least four times more often because of the mud and muck thrown up almost to window level along the sides...:-(
 Mudflaps, again. :-) - TheManWithNoName
took all 4 of mine off and binned them.

They all retained crud between the arch and the clamp
They add drag/weight (every little helps!)
They didn't make a jot to the amount of dirt on the car
 Mudflaps, again. :-) - Zero
They should be called mudnrust traps.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 8 Feb 11 at 14:07
 Mudflaps, again. :-) - Fenlander
>>>They should be called mudnrust traps.

Not if you buy something like a Citroen that doesn't rust!

I always fit them to my own cars. Keeps the shotblasting effect off the sills and lower leading edges of the doors.
 Mudflaps, again. :-) - TheManWithNoName
I've driven cars for years without flaps and the worst effect was having tiny tar spots on the lower doors and sills. They've certainly never been shot-blasted.
 Mudflaps, again. :-) - Fenlander
Oh yes.... I'd forgotten the tar spots... another good reason.
 Mudflaps, again. :-) - madf
I have front mudflaps Still get tar spots. and mud up to windows as the local roads are favoured by cos and horses who carp all over them..

I would prefer fully fitted rear wheel arches as Citroen DS had: a work of beauty...
Latest Forum Posts