Motoring Discussion > Tried to renew RFL on line - failed 2 x Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 20

Tried to renew RFL on line - failed 2 x - Falkirk Bairn
Car Ins due up 28th Feb - renewed last week.
RFL due 1st March

According to my insurer I will have to go to the PO and renew manually handing over my 2001-12 Car Ins Docs.

Insurer' clerk said the DVLA system cannot 2 insurance dates and cannot overwrite to give more than 12 months Insurance cover for a car.

Anyone else had this issue?

Is this a ltter to the DVLA about poor service levels.
 Tried to renew RFL on line - failed 2 x - Old Navy
I did mine online at the first attempt yesterday morning, my insurance is due for renewal on the 19th March. I have renewed for 6 months to get it separated from the insurance renewal time and will renew on an annual basis in future. The car must have insurance (be on the MID) on the date the RFL starts,
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 8 Feb 11 at 08:58
 Tried to renew RFL on line - failed 2 x - CGNorwich
From the DVLA website:

"If you have recently renewed, updated or changed the insurance policy, the details may not have been updated yet on the Motor Insurance Database (MID). This means that we are unable to check that the vehicle is insured. It could also be that your current insurance policy expires shortly before the new tax disc start date.

You will need to apply for the tax disc at a licence-issuing Post Office® that issues tax discs using the renewal reminder or the Registration Certificate together with the relevant insurance and MoT/GVT certificate (if applicable) and fee."

Seems reasonable enough and hardly warrants a complaint. To avoid the problem in future I suggest you extend your insurance period by a couple of days when renewing.
 Tried to renew RFL on line - failed 2 x - commerdriver
I suspect that the problem is that MID cannot reflect the new policy until the old one finishes.
The DVLA system does not look for 12 months or any other period of insurance if you have a policy on MID which is valid on March 1st you can tax your car
 Tried to renew RFL on line - failed 2 x - Bellboy
so long as it shows on the MID you can insure online
leave it a week and then check MID details and try online again
as i have said before since the change of govt dvla have lost the plot,they cant change disabled to plg or car as its now known
there is talk of shutting all dvla local offices
pathetic really
 Tried to renew RFL on line - failed 2 x - L'escargot
>> Car Ins due up 28th Feb - renewed last week.
>> RFL due 1st March
>>
>> According to my insurer I will have to go to the PO and renew manually
>> handing over my 2001-12 Car Ins Docs.

There's a lot to be said for renewing RFL at a post office and having the assurance of getting the new tax disc there and then.
 Tried to renew RFL on line - failed 2 x - PeterS
I've always found renewing RFL online to be very good; far more efficient than any other government department when it comes to customer service. I renewed mine online on a Thurday afternoon; the disc arrived on Saturday morning!
 Tried to renew RFL on line - failed 2 x - Hard Cheese

Personally I support the local Post Office in this regard.

Tried to renew RFL on line - failed 2 x - Tsuper
I use my post office, what will we do when there all gone?
 Tried to renew RFL on line - failed 2 x - Badwolf
>> I use my post office, what will we do when there all gone?

Fair enough, but you can't use a credit card to pay for your RFL at a post office.
 Tried to renew RFL on line - failed 2 x - Tsuper
Thats true but if I had to borrow 60 odd pound to put the car on the road for six months I would have bigger worrys than that. Horses for courses.
 Tried to renew RFL on line - failed 2 x - Zero

Hmm, let me see. Carry on as we are? I haven't used a post office in 5 years.
 Tried to renew RFL on line - failed 2 x - L'escargot
>>

Who says they'll all eventually be gone?
 Tried to renew RFL on line - failed 2 x - Harleyman
>>
>> Personally I support the local Post Office in this regard.
>>
>>
>>

I would, were it not for the fact that I'd have to;

a) Take time out of work; not easy if you drive a lorry.

b) Pay to park.

c) Queue for ages.

I agree with other posters, it's one bit of DVLA which seems to be highly efficient. They even offer the service for my historic vehicles; given that the VED is nil, I view it as getting "something for nothing" since they post it to me.
 Tried to renew RFL on line - failed 2 x - Zero
>> There's a lot to be said for renewing RFL at a post office and having
>> the assurance of getting the new tax disc there and then.

why? the records are all on line.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 10 Feb 11 at 14:46
 Tried to renew RFL on line - failed 2 x - Bill Payer
>> RFL due 1st March

I always try to avoid having cars registered on the 1st for this reason, plus it puts a bit of time pressure on getting the MOT done.

Forgot with younger daughters car and then it ended up she was called into work on the night of 28th Feb so we couldn't pick it up until 2nd anyway. Doh!
 Tried to renew RFL on line - failed 2 x - Old Navy
The RFL, expires on the last day of the preceding month regardless of the date of registration. My car was registered half way through March, RFL expires 28th February.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 9 Feb 11 at 21:30
 Tried to renew RFL on line - failed 2 x - Falkirk Bairn
Tried again todayband failed.

Although Ins was paid alst week - the update to Mid is the day b4 expiry of this year's cover i.e. 28th

Phone Esure for paper docs to get to the Post Office (I am very busy for the rest of the month)- "sent 1st class post on the 4th" -

I suggested they buy some new pigeons as this is now the 9th February.

Tried to renew RFL on line - failed 2 x - Bromptonaut
In order to renew insurance and MoT have to be current on date new VED disc comes into effect. This is either the 1st of month or date of issue if later.

Mrs B's 'lingo is due for tax at 01 April and MoT expires on 26 March. Cannot get new tax on line until MoT has been issued. Now MoT is one test recorded on one database so record only needs to be expiry date which can be up to 13 months from 'today' if I've used the continuity concession.

Insurance on the other hand is issued by a multiplicity of companies. Even customers with an 'automatic' renewal can decline it up to date of payment and probably up to point cover comes into effect. Likely in circs that MID database simply shows expiry of current cover.
 Tried to renew RFL on line - failed 2 x - jc2
I changed insurance companies;MID updated following day.
 Tried to renew RFL on line - failed 2 x - Bill Payer
>> The RFL, expires on the last day of the preceding month regardless of the date
>> of registration. My car was registered half way through March, RFL expires 28th February.
>>

Yes, but the MOT doesn't, and often the insurance won't either. So register a car on any date other than the 1st, and you can retax it online in the preceding month without having to renew the MOT and insurance first.
Latest Forum Posts