Motoring Discussion > Car clamped as pregnant woman sits inside Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 11

Car clamped as pregnant woman sits inside - Iffy
A guy parks in a hotel parking place, leaves his pregnant wife in the car, then nips across the road to the bank.

Gets a clamp, but then claims he had business in the hotel.

Convenient, eh?

Much as I'm not keen on clampers and private parking companies, I have some sympathy with the hotel/clamping company in this case.

The hotel pays rent for parking spaces for its guests.

Without enforcement, these spaces would be permanently occupied by, well, people nipping across the road to the bank.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1354527/Woman-39-weeks-pregnant-car-clamped-sits-inside-it.html
Last edited by: Iffy on Tue 8 Feb 11 at 12:22
 Car clamped as pregnant woman sits inside - Bellboy
as said in the link you would have thought that seeing as they use computers for a living they would know how to book online

sympathy? =nil zilch nothing
 Car clamped as pregnant woman sits inside - SteelSpark
You shouldn't be allowed to clamp a vehicle to enforce payment of a debt.

I'd like to see the hotel put a case together for justifying the £125. Of course, they don't need to, because by forcing the driver to hand over £125 he is now the one that would now need to pursue them through the courts.
...You shouldn't be allowed to clamp a vehicle to enforce payment of a debt...

Quite so.

You can't in Scotland, and there is some talk of the same happening here.

Arguably there is no debt to enforce.

The hotel is next to Newcastle's main railway station in the centre of the city.

If you accept the hotel has the right to say who should park in its own spaces, then there must be some way of enforcing that right.

The private parking companies have shot themselves in the foot by issuing unenforceable tickets to people such as myself at half-empty motorway service stations.

They have no credibility when there is a genuine enforcement problem as in this case.
 Car clamped as pregnant woman sits inside - hobby
All they needed to have done is gone into the hotel and sort out the room and then ask if it was ok to go to the dispenser to get the cash... I'm sure the hotel would have agreed... Wrong way round and too "convenient" an excuse... No sympathy at all, especially as there are spaces nearby they could have used and paid... I'm sure they could have afforded it...

Iffy, that is my worry, too, its all well and good clamping down (!) on the Clampers, but how can the parking space owners then police their land, I'm sure the real Police won't want to become involved... Instead of doing away with them, there should be proper regulation and sensible fines...
 Car clamped as pregnant woman sits inside - Rudedog
Heard today on 5Live that a bill had finally been passed outlawing wheel clamping on private land in England, although I couldn't make out if it was going to come into force next week or next month.
 Car clamped as pregnant woman sits inside - Bromptonaut
>> Heard today on 5Live that a bill had finally been passed outlawing wheel clamping on
>> private land in England, although I couldn't make out if it was going to come
>> into force next week or next month.

Wednesday's DM suggested Govt was committed to legislate against clamping but I don't think anything's been passed yet.
 Car clamped as pregnant woman sits inside - SteelSpark
>> The hotel is next to Newcastle's main railway station in the centre of the city.
>>
>> If you accept the hotel has the right to say who should park in its
>> own spaces, then there must be some way of enforcing that right.

Yes, although it may not be easy for them.

They would need to gather evidence, perhaps with CCTV to get the details of the car and perhaps a picture of the driver, and then sue them like anybody else has to do to chase a debt.

If there is no loss to the business, then it arguably falls into simple trespass, but with no loss there is really no point enforcing just on principle.

Because it is difficult, doesn't mean they can take the law into their own hands (which I think you opening comment pretty much agrees with).
And the next clamping story is:

Taxi drivers blockade clamper's van for nine hours after he clamped their controller's car outside her house.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1355385/Taxi-blockade-stumps-clamper-targeted-controllers-car.html
 Car clamped as pregnant woman sits inside - hobby
I'm not sure how they can call it a 'victory'? After all the clamping company got its eighty quid!
 Car clamped as pregnant woman sits inside - L'escargot
I'm thinking of becoming a clamper. What's the best clamp, and where are they available?
 Car clamped as pregnant woman sits inside - bathtub tom
>>Taxi drivers blockade clamper's van

What was the point of that?

I've no sympathy for clampers, but the woman refused to cough up eighty quid and as a result numerous taxis and several BIBs were tied up for hours and then the eighty quid was paid!

I've no sympathy for taxi drivers either. I sometimes pick up SWMBO from our local railway station. It's often, effectively 'blockaded' by selfish taxi drivers who seem to think they've a monopoly on collecting passengers despite a lane clearly marked 'TAXIS ONLY' they seem to think it's their right to use the short term parking spaces.
Latest Forum Posts