Motoring Discussion > Stop-start ticket Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 29

Stop-start ticket - Rudedog
I've juts read in one of the London papers how a well known TV personality was threatened with a parking ticket because his stop-start car had 'stopped' while at a set of traffic lights, apparently a passing warden was on the verge or issuing a ticket claiming that he had in their option 'parked'.
It looks like a ticket wasn't issued in the end, but I've no idea what persuaded the warden to change their mind.

Stop-start ticket - crocks
Maybe the lights changed to green and he drove off.
 Stop-start ticket - SteelSpark
>> I've juts read in one of the London papers how a well known TV personality
>> was threatened with a parking ticket because his stop-start car had 'stopped' while at a
>> set of traffic lights

Who was it Rudedog? I'd warrant it's somebody who has not had enough press coverage recently. There is no way that this really happened.
 Stop-start ticket - Rudedog
Ben Fogle in a some kind of eco-Mini, and I also find this hard to believe but the story came straight from himself.
>> Ben Fogle in a some kind of eco-Mini, and I also find this hard to
>> believe but the story came straight from himself.

Yeah, as I thought, a D-list celeb looking for a story to get him back in the public eye. He could have come up with something a bit more juicy, but I suppose coke and hookers doesn't fit with his image.
Here's another nail-biting story he has recently passed on to the press.

tinyurl.com/6l6pdp8

Somebody wants attention I think...

Last edited by: SteelSpark on Tue 8 Feb 11 at 17:22
 Stop-start ticket - FotheringtonTomas
The man's a twit IMO. I wonder whether the story was straight.
 Stop-start ticket - Iffy
...I wonder whether the story was straight...

I wonder whether he's....

No, I'll withdraw that one, don't want to get into trouble.

Stop-start ticket - hobby
Well he's got his publicity!
 Stop-start ticket - Zero
If you read this, and know dogs you can see what happened. His dogs caught a whiff of the fox and went into the bushes to root it out. The fox fought back, and being a windy lab it turned tail and ran, pursued by the fox.

As for rugby tackling a fox, why the hell would you? It far quicker and easier to kick the thing than tackle it. All it shows is that Fogle (who is supposed to know about dog training and obedience) hasn't taught his dogs a good recall.

As for foxes chasing dogs? Never used to be the case, BUT I have living near me the biggest, noisiest, most "in your face" fox I have ever seen. It makes a hell of noise in my drive, and when confronted by me it tries to face me down.
>> As for rugby tackling a fox, why the hell would you? It far quicker and
>> easier to kick the thing than tackle it. All it shows is that Fogle (who
>> is supposed to know about dog training and obedience) hasn't taught his dogs a good
>> recall.

All it shows is that it is a made up story. You're right, nobody would ever rugby tackle a fox, and if you did you would almost certainly get bitten, you would just kick it.

It just sounds better for a story, "Ben Fogle kicks fox" really doesn't sound that good.
 Stop-start ticket - Focusless
>> The man's a twit IMO.

Well you certainly wouldn't catch me rowing across the Atlantic with an Olympic rower (James Cracknell, although he seemed to suffer more).

Seems like a nice guy, with a lot of inner strength - I wouldn't class him as attention seeking, but could be wrong.
 Stop-start ticket - Focusless
>> I wouldn't class him as attention seeking, but could be wrong.

Ok, he 'does' TV so I guess be default he likes attention. But I wouldn't have thought he would have to resort to this sort of thing.
>> >> I wouldn't class him as attention seeking, but could be wrong.
>>
>> Ok, he 'does' TV so I guess be default he likes attention. But I wouldn't
>> have thought he would have to resort to this sort of thing.

Yes, I think he would. Not because he is a bad guy, but just because that's the business, you have to keep yourself in the public eye.

Stop-start ticket - TheManWithNoName
As per usual a thread has degraded into one of knocking a perfectly innocent person, albeit slightly famous, without a shred of evidence.
Last edited by: TheManWithNoName on Wed 9 Feb 11 at 13:19
>> As per usual a thread has degraded into one of knocking a perfectly innocent person,
>> albeit slightly famous, without a shred of evidence.

Are you suggesting that we need to accept what this guy says and can't question the veracity of it, without having witnessed it first hand?

I suppose that Fogle has provided evidence that somebody tried to ticket him, has he?

Both stories don't ring true and I believe are made up. He is the one who has got them published, so where is his evidence?

Elton John says that he has been to the moon, and nobody is allowed to disagree unless they can prove that he hasn't been.

Ridiculous....
 Stop-start ticket - Fenlander
>>>Elton John says that he has been to the moon

Beaten the Americans to it then?
 Stop-start ticket - Iffy
...Elton John says that he has been to the moon...

Of course he has, he's a Rocket Man.

Stop-start ticket - Bromptonaut
Story seems to start with a 'tweet' from Fogle and discusssion on MiniForum.

www.totalmini.com/forum/9-general-discussion/17004-stop-start-could-land-you-parking-ticket.html

Is there any more to it than that? Perhaps the PA recognised Ben and was having a joke?

Stop-start ticket - hobby
>> ...Elton John says that he has been to the moon...
>>
>> Of course he has, he's a Rocket Man.
>>

Did he meet David Bowie while he was up there?
 Stop-start ticket - Zero
>> >>>Elton John says that he has been to the moon
>>
>> Beaten the Americans to it then?

We all know they never made it.
 Stop-start ticket - overthehill
I think it is more relevant to know whether this event actually occurred, rather than worrying about who it happened to and how it got into the public domain! If a car is deemed to be parked if it is stationary with the engine stopped it has serious implications for all drivers of cars with stop/start technology and all electric cars where the engine is (presumably) not turning when it is not moving. It confirms my suspicions that, despite vigorous denials from their employers, these ticket issuers have targets to meet.
Last edited by: overthehill on Wed 9 Feb 11 at 15:37
 Stop-start ticket - Pat
I'll throw this into the equation in case it helps.

>>Driving = Being at the driving controls of a vehicle for the purpose of controlling it’s movement, whether it is moving or stationary with the engine running.<<

That is of course for a lorry and I don't know if it applies to a car.

Pat
 Stop-start ticket - rtj70
Maybe an element of truth...

I was once stationary in Manchester outside the triangle near the cathedral shop. My wife had popped into a shop to return an item. A traffic warden appeared and I told him I was about to move. He said I was fine there because I was not parked. The engine was running.
 Stop-start ticket - Bill Payer
>> My wife had popped into a shop to return an item.

Different in some parts of London though - your wife getting out of the car would trigger a camera enforced penalty.
 Stop-start ticket - Bromptonaut
>> Different in some parts of London though - your wife getting out of the car
>> would trigger a camera enforced penalty.

Restriction on Red Routes and probably some other sites includes picking up and setting down. London taxis usually carry a customer information note to effect that they will not set down on these roads.
>> >> Different in some parts of London though - your wife getting out of the
>> car
>> >> would trigger a camera enforced penalty.
>>
>> Restriction on Red Routes and probably some other sites includes picking up and setting down.

In what cases could it trigger a camera enforced penalty? It is just the Red Routes that Bromptonaut mentions?

Stop-start ticket - Old Navy
>> Maybe an element of truth...
>>
>> I was once stationary in Manchester outside the triangle near the cathedral shop. My wife
>> had popped into a shop to return an item. A traffic warden appeared and I
>> told him I was about to move. He said I was fine there because I
>> was not parked. The engine was running.
>>

I thought that it is illegal to wait and leave your engine running.
 Stop-start ticket - overthehill
It can't be otherwise every stationary motorist in UK would be liable for a ticket, unless you mean abandon the car with the engine running or have I misunderstood your post?
 Stop-start ticket - Old Navy
>> It can't be otherwise every stationary motorist in UK would be liable for a ticket,
>> unless you mean abandon the car with the engine running or have I misunderstood your
>> post?
>>

tinyurl.com/68cf44n

And many other councils I believe.
Latest Forum Posts