Motoring Discussion > Tools. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 29

Tools. - Old Navy
The good, the useful, and the rubbish.

I have had a 3/8 drive "Metrinch" socket set for donkeys years, and I have yet to come across a hexagon (below 19mm) that it does not fit.

When I had cars with canister oil filters I always used a strap wrench driven by the socket extension, never failed.

My least used tool is my Mini / 1100 / 1300 ball joint spanner, I did use it 40odd years ago to shim the joints.
 Tools. - henry k
>>My least used tool is
>>
My OHV valve spring compressor
>>
>>I did use it 40odd years ago
>>
Same applies. Took the valves out of my very young 1600E but later found the engine was in effect a write off so that was the only time I ever used it.
>>
I have a variety of devices for oil filters that are all hiding in a dark corner as my days of oil changing are over.
 Tools. - Bigtee
3/8 and above socket sets are very usefull, I have a 1/4 drive at work which comes in handy.

Water pump pliers i used to remove oil filters ( Blue Point).

The least used was a rubber hammer, Metal on the inside coated in hardened rubber.
 Tools. - Robin O'Reliant
I still have the U shaped spanner used to undo the locknuts for the valves on an OHC Capri. Useless, as the jaws just sprung apart and rounded the corners.
 Tools. - Ted

I've still got my Mini ball joint spanner as well.....not used for years.
Some others rarely used.
Set of 1/2 inch drive sockets for square nuts...like coach nuts.
1/2 inch drive AF socket set. ( 3/8 drive set as well )
Bodywork tools...Joddler, spoon, etc.
Nut splitter.....gas heat does the job more gently.
Got some weird obstruction ring spanners...can't remember ever using them.

I use my 1/4 drive set a lot...metric 13mm to about 4mm. Sadly, I've never found a BSW/BSF version. The 11mm fits the 3/16 BSF though....there are 15 bolts on my timing cover !
I use a cut off 1/4 inch extension and the 11mm socket in the drill to get them in.

Mostly use my 3/8 tools and use adaptors for the 1/2 BSF sockets. 1/2 inch tools too heavy for general use.

Ted
 Tools. - Skoda
The good - the big halfords socket set, that's been great value

The useful - gas torch... I don't have one but it's definitely on the list :-(

The bad - adjustable wrench, hopeless tat. I burst the head of one on a stiff bolt, made a change from it opening enough to slip and round off the head
 Tools. - Ted

Keep the asjustable....invaluable for plumbing work....radiators, etc.
Never bother with the shetack now.
Strange thing is...however many times I adjust the spanner, I never, ever get it the right way first time !

I suppose it's sod's law, like a socket will always roll under the car, not the other way.
Get halfway through a delicate and intricate job and what happens ?
Your nose starts itching uncontrollably.

Or is it just me ?

Ted
 Tools. - jc2
I have a Metrinch socket set(also a Britool and a Churchill-from my younger days);the Metrinch are some of the finest tools out there-leaving Snap-On way behind.
 Tools. - RichardW
My Dad's got a 42mm socket - used once (well twice I guess if you count on and off!) to remove the fan from a GS engine when we had to replace the rubber connector on the suspension pump. That would have been about 1984....
 Tools. - Iffy
Most useful: 3/8" drive socket set, 1/2" drive is for home bodgers.

A 3/8" drive is quite strong enough, provided the sockets are Snap-on or equivalent quality - if there is such a thing.

Metrinch - aren't they those funny shaped spanners?

Bit of a gimmick, if you ask me.

Last edited by: Iffy on Wed 9 Feb 11 at 12:01
 Tools. - Chris S
I've still got a 'square' brake-adjuster spanner for Minis/Metros and a grease-gun that I haven't used for years because modern cars don't have grease nipples.

I've also still got a Lambretta flywheel puller that hasn't been used for 30 years!
 Tools. - Iffy
...I've still got a 'square' brake-adjuster spanner for Minis/Metros...

Many cars used square adjusters in the 60s and 70s.

Tools. - Old Navy
>> Metrinch - aren't they those funny shaped spanners?
>>
>> Bit of a gimmick, if you ask me.
>>
>>
Yes funny shaped, but they work, are superb quality, and fit imperial and metric sizes. They apply pressure to the flats of a hexagon so don't round off the points.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 9 Feb 11 at 13:13
 Tools. - Iffy
...They apply pressure to the flats of a hexagon so don't round off the points...

Snap-on has a similar design, they call it Flank Drive.

Tools. - Old Navy
>> ...They apply pressure to the flats of a hexagon so don't round off the points...
>>
>> Snap-on has a similar design, they call it Flank Drive.
>>
>>
It can't be that "funny" a system then.
 Tools. - Iffy
...It can't be that "funny" a system then...

No, but the Snap-on ring spanners do not look so different, they like ordinary ring spanners, but with slightly rounded jaws.

Click on 'view larger image' in this link:

buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=hand&item_ID=4377&group_ID=522&store=uk&dir=catalog
Last edited by: Iffy on Wed 9 Feb 11 at 13:24
 Tools. - Old Navy
I have never had a problem with these, I use both combination spanners and sockets.

www.metrinch-tools.com/website/introductie.php?language=gb

I assume Snap-on can't get round the patent.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 9 Feb 11 at 13:32
 Tools. - Old Navy
This is the set that I use.

www.metrinch-tools.com/website/produkten.php?subnr=7&subcat=CAT39

I also have a 1/2 inch drive Britool socket set, a drawer full of assorted spanners, and a load of odd sized sockets accumulated over the years, I can't remember the last time I used them.
 Tools. - Iffy
...I assume Snap-on can't get round the patent...

It could be the other way around.

Here's a six-point Snap-on Flank Drive wrench.

Click on 'larger image' for best view:

buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=hand&item_ID=4557&group_ID=522&store=&dir=catalog
 Tools. - Old Navy
>> ...I assume Snap-on can't get round the patent...
>>
>> It could be the other way around.
>>
>> Here's a six-point Snap-on Flank Drive wrench.
>>
The Snap-on tools obviously have a totally different profile. I am sure they are excellent tools, but different to the Metrinch system.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 9 Feb 11 at 14:17
 Tools. - Iffy
...The Snap-on tools obviously have a totally different profile...

They do.

I suspect the most likely thing is each company developed its spanners and patented their design independently of each other.

Tools. - L'escargot
I have a Draper wiper arm removal tool ............. www.drapertools.com/b2c/b2cbrowse.pgm
It doesn't get used very often, but when it does get used it's invaluable.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 10 Feb 11 at 10:51
 Tools. - Zero
YOu need one of these, you really do.

Just got one, its ace.

www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_17618.htm
 Tools. - Skoda
That's a seriously good price. The accessories listed cost more than that.
 Tools. - John H
>> That's a seriously good price. The accessories listed cost more than that.
>>

accessories
www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_17615.htm

Tools. - Mapmaker
>> accessories
>> www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_17615.htm

I bought five boxes of those accessories from Lidl a year or three back. They remain in their boxes...

Last week I bought from Lidl a largeish rotary sander, complete with polishing attachments. Sure I'll find a use for it eventually...
 Tools. - Skoda
>> accessories
>> www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_17615.htm

Ahh, those type don't last in my experience. The Dremel branded stuff's much harder wearing.

For example, the cut off discs will shatter in the budget ones if you cut too deeply and exert any sideways force (hard not to, the tool's quite unwieldy). The Dremel cut off disks you can pretty much abuse and they'll only shatter if you're really ham fisted (which i am sometimes).

The engraving tools seem to work ok in both - not used enough to blunt either right enough, but the few times i've used them, i'm neater with the dremel one. No idea why.
 Tools. - FotheringtonTomas
I bought one of those a few years ago, and have used it once. Unless you have a particular need for one for something you do all the time, I don't think it's worthwhile. They're a little underpowered for - say - porting work; and anyway who does that sort of thing nowadays?
 Tools. - Zero
I will probably have a need for it once or twice a year. At most.

I always wanted one tho.
 Tools. - Ted

I've had a Dremel for years...a very welcome presemt. Especially when you've got a lot of railway lines to cut....don't you laugh, Bigtee !

I get 1/2mm cut off discs from Ensign Tools by post. Cheap in bulk and last well.
Lethal, though...I once put the Dremel on the bench before it had finished spinning and it ran across and severed the cable to another tool !
I only use it for cutting...never used it as a drill or polisher.

Ted
Latest Forum Posts