Motoring Discussion > Service stations are expensive - shock report Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 50

Service stations are expensive - shock report - Iffy
High street names are being criticised for upping their prices at motorway service stations.

Seems Burger King offer the best value in this respect, only 12 per cent dearer.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1355373/High-street-chains-double-food-prices-motorway-service-stations.html
 Service stations are expensive - shock report - R.P.
Still rather pay the 15% premium on the M&S sandwich !
...Still rather pay the 15% premium on the M&S sandwich !...

To me, BK and M&S both sell pre-packaged E-number and additive-stuffed crap.

The only difference is BKs are luke warm and M&S sandwiches are cold.
 Service stations are expensive - shock report - Hard Cheese

>>Seems Burger King offer the best value in this respect, only 12 per cent dearer.>>

That's tosh, the report is too limited, McDonalds are the SAME price, High St or service station.
 Service stations are expensive - shock report - Focusless
>> That's tosh, the report is too limited, McDonalds are the SAME price, High St or
>> service station.

But I don't remember seeing many McDonalds in motorway service stations - have I just missed them?

The 'double' in the headline is a bit misleading - the figures given in the article imply 15-20% is typical, which is pretty much what I would expect. All part of the fun of long distance family travel :)
 Service stations are expensive - shock report - Bromptonaut
There's a Maccy D's on the northbound side at Woodall on the M1. Cannot recall any others.
Vomit.
 Service stations are expensive - shock report - Pat
Explanation here

motorwayservicesonline.co.uk/McDonalds

Pat
 Service stations are expensive - shock report - Redviper
If im going on a long journey, I make my sandwhiches before I go.

Cheaper and Tastier.

Or if I have non, I just wait until I get to my destination im never that desperate I have to eat the expensive rubbish that Mcdonalds or Burger King serve up.

Last edited by: Redviper on Thu 10 Feb 11 at 11:50
 Service stations are expensive - shock report - Skoda
Making your own stuff is the business. Doesn't have to be sandwiches mind. Love stopping off next to water (preferably a loch but a big puddle will do) on the way up north, sandwiches, flask of tea and a choc biscuit munched hanging out the boot or sitting on the bonnet.

Even enjoyable in the rain!
 Service stations are expensive - shock report - Old Navy
Its just confirmation of my reasons for avoiding them like the plague. I have actually seen people queueing on the slip roads to get into MSA's. Absolute madness when there are usually uncrowded, cleaner, and better quality facilities nearby, often cheaper, but worth it if they are not.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 10 Feb 11 at 11:58
 Service stations are expensive - shock report - bathtub tom
I don't think I've eaten anything from a McDonalds for more than ten years (apart from an occasional McFlurry on a hot day).

There might be something in their E-numbers. They've a strangely addictive taste.
 Service stations are expensive - shock report - Snakey
If I'm on a long journey I'll make my own sandwiches. I stop at the MSAs for the toilet, and occasionally buy coffee from Macdonalds/KFC/Burger King etc as its usually OK and piping hot (and doesn't taste flask-ey if you know what I mean!)

Otherwise, wouldn't touch the food unless I was desperate.
 Service stations are expensive - shock report - Dave_
The only motorway McDonalds that I ever seem to go into is the one at the Poplar 2000 truckstop at Lymm... Haven't noticed their prices being extortionate, but then it's actually on the A56 next to the motorway rather than in a dedicated motorway-only service area.

As a rule I only use MSAs for sleep and toilets, my snap is always a packed lunch and an 18p 2 litre bottle of supermarket Basic lemonade.

One bugbear of mine is that MSA petrol stations seem completely incapable of maintaining their water hosepipes / screenwash dispensers. In a 24 hour service environment they should keep spare nozzles and hoses for when the oafs pull them to bits, surely? And it can't be beyond someone to install a system that doesn't freeze in cold weather. BBD and others, what are the filling station water facilities like in countries where freezing weather is the norm?
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Thu 10 Feb 11 at 13:16
 Service stations are expensive - shock report - Alanovich
>> 18p 2 litre bottle of supermarket Basic lemonade.

It's not even that cheap in Lidl! Do you use a flux capacitor to visit a shop in 1974?
>> >> 18p 2 litre bottle of supermarket Basic lemonade.
>>
>> It's not even that cheap in Lidl!

Asda? tinyurl.com/4e3qpze

EDIT Smartprice, 18p for 2l. Quality :)
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 10 Feb 11 at 13:31
...EDIT Smartprice, 18p for 2l. Quality :)...

I prefer mine watered-down by about a third which makes the value even greater.

>> ...EDIT Smartprice, 18p for 2l. Quality :)...
>>
>> I prefer mine watered-down by about a third which makes the value even greater.

...assuming tap water is cheaper! :)

(I think it is - less than 1p/litre?)
>> ...assuming tap water is cheaper! :)
>>
>> (I think it is - less than 1p/litre?)

Thames Water - £1.06 per cubic metre which works out at about 0.1p per litre I think. So those bottles of water that cost £1+ for less than a litre must taste really nice :)
>> Thames Water - £1.06 per cubic metre which works out at about 0.1p per litre
>> I think.

You pay for tap water????
>> >> Thames Water - £1.06 per cubic metre which works out at about 0.1p
>> per litre
>> >> I think.
>>
>> You pay for tap water????

Don't you pay for your household water ON?
1.05p a cubic metre here - costing less than 15 quid a month - bargain. And contrary to reports I use "sufficient"
>> 1.05p a cubic metre here

1.05p? As in pence?? That is cheap!
>> >> >> Thames Water - £1.06 per cubic metre which works out at about 0.1p
>> >> per litre
>> >> >> I think.
>> >>
>> >> You pay for tap water????
>>
>> Don't you pay for your household water ON?
>>

Yes we do but are not metered.
 Service stations are expensive - shock report - Dave_
A while ago I tried downgrading my food shopping by a level - generally supermarkets pitch their food at 4 price levels: Finest, proprietary brand, own label and value/basic. For about half the products there was no discernible difference apart from the price. So I downgraded again, and found a few value products that were perfectly palatable. The lemonade is one of those - if anything I find it tastes nicer than the £1+ a bottle stuff, less slimy.

I kept buying the lower level products I liked, and went back to the branded ones where they were better. The own-brand stuff must be OK, or they wouldn't carry on selling it, surely?
>> I kept buying the lower level products I liked, and went back to the branded
>> ones where they were better. The own-brand stuff must be OK, or they wouldn't carry
>> on selling it, surely?

Same here - always on the look-out for a bargain, but do draw the line sometimes, either of my own volition, or (more likely) as instructed by SWMBO who for example refuses to eat the Asda version of Special K. We like the Smartprice digestives at about 20p a pack, but we went back to real Flora margarine recently when the Asda stuff seemed to go downhill.
I buy value brands, but it is disappointing when something fails to come up to scratch and you are stuck with it.

A jar of peanut butter springs to mind, although my current pot is from Lidl and is nice enough.

The premium brands may not always be the nicest, but they are reliable.

Service stations are expensive - shock report - Duncan
>> I don't think I've eaten anything from a McDonalds for more than ten years (apart
>> from an occasional McFlurry on a hot day).
>>
>>

MacDonald's hash browns are gorgeous!! Yummy, yummy.
>> MacDonald's hash browns are gorgeous!! Yummy, yummy.
>>

I will say that the Hash browns, and Sausage Egg Mc Muffuns and Mcflurrys are nice and not bad value, however the rest of the food is rubbish, luke warm and over priced.

When I jaunt down to Bristol I use a service Station to Change driver, go to the toilet and buy a sausage roll from M&S to go with the lovely sandwhiches that i have made. other than that there is no other service that a service station can offer me.

Service stations are expensive - shock report - Zero
>> I will say that the Hash browns, and Sausage Egg Mc Muffuns and Mcflurrys are
>> nice and not bad value, however the rest of the food is rubbish, luke warm
>> and over priced.

A Burger for 99 pence? Overpriced? you are jesting yes?

Yup. I'll own up. I find a 1/4 pounder with cheese and medium fries hits some kind of primeval spot with me. Its comfort food.

Nothing wrong with it, in moderation.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 10 Feb 11 at 16:03

>> A Burger for 99 pence? Overpriced? you are jesting yes?

Well it maybe doesn’t fall into the overpriced category, but it certainly falls into the rubbish category if I have a burger I like something a bit more substantial than them.
McDonald's breakfast burgers are probably their best product and are as cheap as, or even cheap than, chips.
wholly agree, the sausage and egg mcmuffins are lush, and not bad value.
...wholly agree, the sausage and egg mcmuffins are lush, and not bad value...

Aycliffe's usually not too busy earlyish.

I often, I mean very rarely, swing by there on a Monday morning on my way back to work from the caravan.

>> ...wholly agree, the sausage and egg mcmuffins are lush, and not bad value...
>>
>> Aycliffe's usually not too busy earlyish.
>>
>> I often, I mean very rarely, swing by there on a Monday morning on my
>> way back to work from the caravan.
>>

Occasionaly I pay a visit to the Morton Park one - again not to busy on a early morning
...Occasionaly I pay a visit to the Morton Park one...

Used the jetwash there last week.

Did a good job for £4 of time.

"swing round" eh iffy ?- nudge nudge, wink wink....
Yes its not bad at all that one, however I think the price of the jetwash has gone up, now they have introduced the coin meters as apposed to buying a ticket from the fuel kiosk

for the same price I got a 10 min ticket from, I could only manage about 5-7 min worth.

but i like the facailties so am still happy to use it
 Service stations are expensive - shock report - BiggerBadderDave
"MacDonald's hash browns are gorgeous!! Yummy, yummy."

Absolutely. Lots of things in MacD's are yummy. All proper men love a burger. We have a MacD family pig-out every two or three weeks, I'm in great shape and my kids are rake-thin.

There must be a reason why everybody pretends they never go in, yet they're always loads busier than any other hut in the food hall. If I had to guess, I'd say snobbery.
 Service stations are expensive - shock report - spamcan61
During my 18 week stint working in Stockholm last year McDs were my staple diet; I must've consumed best part of 100. The Swedes in the office nicknamed me 'Supersize' or 'Ronald'.
I think all Motorway Service area toilets should command a small fee, that would ensure the price of chargeable goods isn't artificially inflated to cover this free service everyone uses.

Pat
 Service stations are expensive - shock report - Armel Coussine
That's a terrible idea Pat.

Still, there's always the car park or round the back by the dustbins, for chaps that is.

:o}
Yes...it's surprising what you see from a parked lorry cab:)

Pat
>> Yes...it's surprising what you see from a parked lorry cab:)
>>
>> Pat
>>

And a moving one. :-)
Always be careful what you do in a car with sunroof.

Pat
 Service stations are expensive - shock report - Stuartli
If you think motorway service stations are expensive then airports would horrify those who haven't, by any chance, experienced them. Liverpool's John Lennon Airport for one.

I would have thought, by the way, that service station toilet facilities were the responsibility of the site owners rather than those with shop leases.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Thu 10 Feb 11 at 14:45
 Service stations are expensive - shock report - spamcan61
>> If you think motorway service stations are expensive then airports would horrify those who haven't,
>> by any chance, experienced them. Liverpool's John Lennon Airport for one.
>>

By and large I agree, although the M&S Simply Food in Heathrow T5 arrivals charges high street prices, which was a bit of a shock. By the time I arrived on a Friday evening they were often reducing prices on sarnies etc. as well.:-)
>> All proper men love a burger. We
>> have a MacD family pig-out every two or three weeks, I'm in great shape and
>> my kids are rake-thin.

I had a MacD burger and chips for lunch before winning the Berks 10000m later that day many years ago.
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2707143.stm

Maybe a bit of an exageration with a grain of truth.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 10 Feb 11 at 15:02
I never quite understood the fuss over that 'Super Size Me' documentary where Morgan Spurlock just ate MacDonalds for 30 days and appeared to be surprised his health suffered. As the title implies, he was 'super-sizing' his portions to get bigger portions, and his calorie intake was about 5000kcals per day (according to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Size_Me ).

What did he expect? I reckon you could stay reasonably healthy just eating MacD if you did it seriously. Would eating 5000kcals of pizza per day be any different? Or Kentucky? Daft.
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 10 Feb 11 at 15:09
 Service stations are expensive - shock report - movilogo
Why complaint if they are expensive? Just don't buy from there.

I understand buying fuel from there is often a necessity. But for everything else, there are alternatives in next town.
Latest Forum Posts