Motoring Discussion > Gradual deterioration of xenon bulbs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mike H Replies: 10

Gradual deterioration of xenon bulbs - Mike H
Anyone any thoughts on whether xenon bulbs gradually deteriorate with age? I'm talking about full xenon lamps, not the "xenon" H4s etc. The lights on my Saab seem to be rubbish, but I'm not sure whether they were always this bad or whether they have been gradually reducing light output as they age. I'm not keen on replacing them to find out as they ain't cheap!
 Gradual deterioration of xenon bulbs - Skoda
10 year old xenons on the 7er and they're brighter than most halogens today.

I think they drop whiteness over time though. Not sure what they would have been out of the factory but unlikely to be whiter than 3500k today I'd say. Distinct difference with the 4300k in the octy.
So are the octy's, at 4300k, subjectively brighter than the ones on the 7?
Not brighter, penetration wise they're both close but whiter definitely.
 Gradual deterioration of xenon bulbs - VxFan
>> not sure whether they were always this bad or whether they have been gradually reducing light output as they age.

What are the state of the headlight lenses and reflectors like?
The xenons don't use conventional reflectors, the light that comes out of the domed projectors is it. And the acrylic "lenses", which are really just clear protectors, are...clear.
What about taking a punt on one bulb? If it's one of the 2 normal xenon fittings it should be possible to get one delivered for around £35, hopefully less.

No flickering or anything to suggest the balasts might be past their best?

Maybe email someone like Hella UK and ask their expert opinion.
 Gradual deterioration of xenon bulbs - Shiny
My old Omega ones went really bluey green and dim after 7 years and so I replaced them with ebay specials which were about £30 a pair. Much better.
 Gradual deterioration of xenon bulbs - Hard Cheese

It's ones eyes that gradually deteriorate ...

Gradual deterioration of xenon bulbs - Stuartli

>> It's ones eyes that gradually deteriorate ...>>

But Mike H is only in his early 20s, isn't he?
>> But Mike H is only in his early 20s, isn't he?
>>
You're too kind Stuartli - unfortunately, you're about 35 years out :-(

I had considered the eye deterioration possibility, but I don't think it's a significant factor.

I do have a couple of spare (used) bulbs so I might try a substitution and see whether it makes a difference either way.
Latest Forum Posts