Motoring Discussion > Ford Mondeo IV - 2nd year service Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 31

Ford Mondeo IV - 2nd year service - SteelSpark
The Mondeo is due in for its 2nd year service soon, and I am planning on making the booking in the next couple of days.

I used the Ford dealership that I bought it from last year, but I can't remember if there is a reason that I used a Ford dealership. Is it that you need to get it serviced by the manufacturer while in the warranty period, or void the warranty?

They are quoting £185.

Ford Mondeo IV - 2nd year service - Zero
you dont *have* to get it serviced at a Ford Dealer. You can get it serviced at any garage that is VAT registered

However, its up to you to argue any warranty repairs at some stage if you dont use a Ford dealer.
 Ford Mondeo IV - 2nd year service - RattleandSmoke
Phone round a few Ford dealers, although legally it won't affect the warranty if you use any VAT registered garages there is far more risk. It is easier just stick to Ford dealers, will be a lot less hassle in the event of a warranty cliam.
 Ford Mondeo IV - 2nd year service - rtj70
£185 sounds a fair price for a 2nd year service to me. I'd probably go to a main dealer just in case you need to argue for warranty repairs.

Some dealers can charge over £300 for an interim service when another garage for the same marque wants only circa £180.... That's Honda for you though.
Thanks guys.

Looks like I could get it for about £100 cheaper at KwikFit, but given all of your advice, I'll reckon that I'll just go with the same dealer as last time. Aside from the points you made above, their customer service is also generally pretty good.
You have paid well over £10,000 for a car, it is false logic to try and skimp by saving £80. I wouldn't even take the 13 year old Fiesta which is worth £300 for an oil change at one of those places.

If it makes you feel better the first service on my Panda will cost me £160.
 Ford Mondeo IV - 2nd year service - Bigtee
Let Ford get there mits on it and any problems that need sorting it's in the best hands.

The price your paying seems fair and ford stamps look much better in the service book than Indie and any fast fit place. :-)
 Ford Mondeo IV - 2nd year service - Fenlander
Another vote for the dealer at £185. My similar sized C5 was £210 for it's first service, I think the second is about the same cost then the third much more.

Also they picked up a software update was needed which anyone like Kwik Fit won't know about.
 Ford Mondeo IV - 2nd year service - Clk Sec
£185 sounds about right to me. I wouldn't even think of going anywhere else.
 Ford Mondeo IV - 2nd year service - Arctophile
Don't forget to ensure that the body/paintwork check is carried out. It is often missed.
Last edited by: Arctophile on Wed 16 Feb 11 at 08:13
 Ford Mondeo IV - 2nd year service - Iffy
The CC3 has the same engine and transmission as the OP's car.

At the second service the dealer replaced a noisy driveshaft bearing under warranty.

I hadn't heard it, and I think it unlikely an independent garage would have picked up on it.

Even if they did, there's then the problem of making a warranty claim.

For services one, two, and three, only dealer, dealer and dealer makes sense.

>> Don't forget to ensure that the body/paintwork check is carried out. It is often missed.

Thanks, I remember that being mentioned last time.

If I look at the service history now, how can I tell if it has been recorded for the first service? Is it a separate stamp, or checkbox, or just a comment? (I am still trying to dig out the book)
there will be a separate section in the service book to record body checks, with a stamp just like the service section.
>> there will be a separate section in the service book to record body checks, with
>> a stamp just like the service section.

Thanks. When I find it I will have a look.
To be fair when I took my Panda in yesterday they didn't ask me a single question but if it was over a year old and no service was showing on their books I suspect it would have been more difficult.
 Ford Mondeo IV - 2nd year service - mikeyb
Not sure if its still the same, but when I had a mondeo a few years back I was told that the 2 year warranty was the EU requirement and year 3 was an extension dependant on the first services being carried out in the dealer network.

TBH though if its only 180 odd quid I would just go to ford and collect the nectar points
Not sure about that, but I know both Ford and Fiat only come with a two year manufacturers warranty. The third year has more exclusions (such as trim) and will be paid for in the case of the Mondeo Ford UK rather than Ford itself.

I assume with a manufacturers warranty the factory itself some how pays for the warranty claim down the long chain.
The third year is a franchise dealer warranty, although it's very similar to the first two years.

It is one of the things you may lose out on if you buy a newish Ford from a supermarket, depending on where they sourced the car.

Ford Mondeo IV - 2nd year service - idle_chatterer
I found Ford servicing to be relatively cheap and of reasonable quality, IIRC the second service on my Mondy III (so in 2005) was about GBP 160 so rising to GBP 185 in 2011 doesn't seem unreasonable to me ? By comparison the second service on SWMBO's Honda was something like GBP 350.

As others have said, I'd just go to Ford and get peace of mind, they're a lot cheaper than Honda in my experience. SWMBO's Golf had a GBP 250 3 year servicing deal on it, however I recall her earlier Golf cost more like Honda prices to service.
 Ford Mondeo IV - 2nd year service - PeterS
>> ... SWMBO's Golf had a GBP 250 3 year servicing deal on it, however
>> I recall her earlier Golf cost more like Honda prices to service.

We just missed (registered slightly too early) a £250 / 3 year servicing deal on our A3; even so I've been pleasantly surprised how cheap the 2 services it's needed in 3 years / 36k miles have been.

The first 'oil' service was only £129, the second 'inspection', was £249. Now admittedly pollen filter, spark plugs and brake fluid etc are charged separately, but even so the the biggest bill was £318. The car hasn't even needed brake pads/discs yet; even so we'd have saved c. £200 if we had been able to buy the service deal

Over the same period, and slightly higher mileage, the biggest bill on the A4 has been £278 (spark plugs not required until 60k miles on the 2.0T being the main reason), though it has needed 2 'oil' services instead of 1

Based on those prices though, which I believe get cheaper now the cars are more than 3 years old, I don't plan on leaving the dealer network any time soon

Peter
...which I believe get cheaper now the cars are more than 3 years old...

Almost certainly will be.

Ford dealers do cheaper services for older cars.

I bought a three-service deal for the CC3, about £400 if I recall.

That's two small services and one big one taking the car to 37,500miles.

Or being more optimistic, I won't need to pay separately for a service until 50,000miles.

Servicing at an independent cannot be any cheaper than that.

Last edited by: Iffy on Thu 17 Feb 11 at 08:15
The people at the Ford call centre are starting to annoy me.

Their website says that it is £185, when I called this morning a very rude young lady told me that it was £205, told me that I was "simply wrong" to think it was £185, and then virtually insisted on taking me through their pre-paid plan.

When I called back again, somebody else told me that it was £195.

Rude morons.
...The people at the Ford call centre are starting to annoy me....

Don't you book direct with the garage?

>> ...The people at the Ford call centre are starting to annoy me....
>>
>> Don't you book direct with the garage?

I can't for some reason. I called the dealer to check what price they actually charge and was told £195. I was also told that the only way to book was via the central reservations.

Probably because they are the ones trained to ram the marketing down your throat.

Maybe it is different with authorised garages, rather than the dealers themselves.

Ford Mondeo IV - 2nd year service - Arctophile
>> ...The people at the Ford call centre are starting to annoy me....

Which Ford call centre? Which website?

I have always booked direct with the garage.
Last edited by: Arctophile on Thu 17 Feb 11 at 16:35
 Ford Mondeo IV - 2nd year service - Boxsterboy
These service call centres really annoy me.

Mercedes-Benz use them for their garages and if you ever get through, you then spend about 20 minutes making a simple booking as their computer struggles to identify a car reg., and thus the car details. Even when you ring the garage and ask not to be re-routed, you get re-routed. The call centres can't answer simple questions, and take ages. But they probably save the dealers/manufacturers a couple of £.

The last time I had my wife's car serviced I made sure the girl who phoned "to check that I was happy with my service" got an earful. The actual service was fine, but dump the call centre, I told her. She gave me the number of the workshop direct and promised I wouldn't be re-routed to a call centre if I rung it.

We shall see ...
Get the number of the garage you want to use, and ring the service receptionist. Ignore this centralised bullcrap.
 Ford Mondeo IV - 2nd year service - Alanovich
To do this, try using www.saynoto0870.com. It worked for my local VW dealer, and the Ford dealer where I bought my current Sharalhambralaxy.
>> Get the number of the garage you want to use, and ring the service receptionist.
>> Ignore this centralised bullcrap.

I did that today but they told me that I had to use the centralised service. However, it is not a centralised Ford service, as I might have suggested, it is for this particular Ford franchise.
 Ford Mondeo IV - 2nd year service - John H
>> I did that today but they told me that I had to use the centralised
>> service. However, it is not a centralised Ford service, as I might have suggested, it
>> is for this particular Ford franchise.
>>

Ask to speak to the Service Manager and/or the Owner of the franchise. Ask them "do you want my business or not?"

If they don't take your booking, take it to
www.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices/VehicleServiceandRepair/RapidFit
where you will probably get it done much cheaper.

"There’s no need to book an appointment at Rapid Fit, you’re welcome to just turn up with your car. The staff are highly trained – by Ford – and can talk you through exactly what work needs to be done to your vehicle.
That work will be carried out to a very high standard – often while you wait. You’ll pay competitive fast-fit prices too."

>> If they don't take your booking, take it to
>> www.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices/VehicleServiceandRepair/RapidFit
>> where you will probably get it done much cheaper.

Thanks very much for this John. Do you know if this still covers you in terms of the warranty? I had a look at the website last night, and I couldn't figure it out.
 Ford Mondeo IV - 2nd year service - John H
>> Thanks very much for this John. Do you know if this still covers you in
>> terms of the warranty?

What do your your warranty t&c stipulate? If you are not restricted by some clause to a 3rd year dealer only warranty, search t'internet for your rights under 2 years warranty EU Regs to have the car serviced elsewhere.

www.ford.co.uk/BuyingandprotectingyourFord/Warranties/WarrantyFAQs
What are the terms and conditions of the manufacturer’s warranty?
The terms and conditions can be found in the Service Portfolio (formerly the Warranty And Service Guide), found as part of the Owner’s pack supplied with the vehicle.

If my vehicle is serviced at a non Ford Dealer, will my Ford warranty be invalidated?
No, but you must ensure that:
• Your vehicle is serviced as recommended by Ford (timing and content).
• Your vehicle is serviced using genuine Ford branded parts or parts that match the quality of genuine Ford branded parts.
• Your vehicles Maintenance Record is completed and receipts are retained as evidence that the vehicle has been serviced at the correct intervals, in line with Ford Service Schedules, using the correct parts and fluids. This will assist in the event of a warranty claim for defects that may be influenced by incorrect maintenance intervals or content.

>> I had a look at the website last night, and I
>> couldn't figure it out.
>>

From the link I posted, Rapidfit's "mot & servicing" tab takes you to
www.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices/VehicleServiceandRepair/RapidFit/tabid=tab2
"Servicing, MoTs and saving money
Rapid Fit Centres offer comprehensive scheduled services covering all the main components in your vehicle. They also include a report and a stamp in your ServiceHistory book."

The link there "Find out more about Scheduled Services." takes you to
www.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices/VehicleServiceandRepair/ServicingyourFord/VehicleServicing/ScheduledServices
"Where to get your vehicle serviced
You can choose to go either to your Ford Dealer or to a Rapid Fit centre, "

Last edited by: John H on Fri 18 Feb 11 at 15:55
Latest Forum Posts