Motoring Discussion > Lotus Elan designer dies Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Tooslow Replies: 10

Lotus Elan designer dies - Tooslow
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-12496609

and is remembered for the wrong reason. I know which I'd rather have. One of my all time favourite cars.

John
 Lotus Elan designer dies - Zero
I have one of his orginals, still in daily use.

My Fathers B&D workmate, battered but still going strong. A 1973 400 model.
 Lotus Elan designer dies - Fenlander
Despite probably being one of the most prolific DIYers on here I've never bought a workmate. Never owned a Lotus either but what amazing clean designs that have been imprinted on my brain since the 60s.

I liked the +2 best...

www.flickr.com/photos/ragtag04/4754900852/sizes/l/in/photostream/

The Europa was a teen lad's favourite in our school but in truth the lines weren't quite so neat..

www.flickr.com/photos/imagetaker1/3437180043/sizes/z/in/photostream/

Still it gave Renault a bit of extra street cred when their 16 engine was used.
 Lotus Elan designer dies - henry k
I have one of the early alloy ones that IIRC they soon stopped making as the trade smashed them and they were too expensive to manufacture so the steel ones were then made.
I have two sets of the original steel over centre clamps ( bench dogs?) that are also in regular use. I guess I got them from the B&D shop at Heathrow where I used to get lots of interesting tools.
A well used and enjoyed bit of kit.
 Lotus Elan designer dies - Robin O'Reliant
Which Elan did he design, the original or the later one?

I thought Colin Chapman was the brains behind Lotus back then.
 Lotus Elan designer dies - Collos
CC was the owner and brains but not the designer,I had a Europa went round corners as though on rails used to carry spare drive shaft doughnuts they only lasted 500miles they came from Hillman imps I believe not quite pto the job.The Elan was one of the nicest looking cars ever built which I had a few stached away.
Last edited by: Collos on Fri 18 Feb 11 at 17:14
 Lotus Elan designer dies - Aretas
I had an S4 for a number of years. Those of you near a decent bookshop can see it on page 306 of Karl Ludvigsen's relatively recent book about Colin Chapman. The steering of the Elan was almost a thought process - just gentle thumb pressure on the wheel. It did get me my only speeding ticket (£5 - must have been a long time ago.)
 Lotus Elan designer dies - madf
I have an alloy Workmate and drove a tuned S3 Elan Coupe... Great fun. Lovely exhasut note. Cornered well despite very narrow tyres by today's standards... With 130 bhp in a rather light body, wnt rather fast. Webbers sounded like Turkeys gobbling on full throttle...
 Lotus Elan designer dies - Fenlander
If it's as genuine as it sounds this +2 (Elan.. not workmate) looks good value...

www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C203122/
 Lotus Elan designer dies - Tooslow
I remember a story of a road test of an Elan. It was being chased by a Lotus Cortina. I think the Elan driver allowed the Cortina to keep up. It became rather amusing though when a roundabout had to be negotiated.

John
 Lotus Elan designer dies - Boxsterboy
My Dad helped build a couple of Elan kits in the '60s in our garage. One was shipped over the pond by the owner who kept it till the day he died. On one visit over there (near Detroit) in pre-MX5 days we took it out for a spin. The yanks were falling over themselves to find out more about it. It is no surprise the MX5 sold so well over there.
Latest Forum Posts