Motoring Discussion > 80MPH Motorway Limit Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Arctophile Replies: 24

80MPH Motorway Limit - Arctophile
Will it ever happen?

Link to Telegraph article.

tinyurl.com/5tt5fc5
 80MPH Motorway Limit - R.P.
If it does it's going to be 85 to 90 in the real world (certainly on quieter motorways).
 80MPH Motorway Limit - Runfer D'Hills
Um...isn't it that already...?

:-)
 80MPH Motorway Limit - Oldgit
I drive mainly at about 80mph on motorways anyway, as speedo error means I really driving at 73mph or thereabouts and this is corroborated by my Satnav.
 80MPH Motorway Limit - AnotherJohnH
I'd think we're more likely to get an enforced 50 due to fuel shortages/green worriers/warmists than an increase to 80.
 80MPH Motorway Limit - Focusless
Did I hear on the radio this morning that something similar has just been introduced in Spain?
 80MPH Motorway Limit - Old Navy
>> Did I hear on the radio this morning that something similar has just been introduced
>> in Spain?
>>

You did, our lot are denying anything like that here but admit that there are contingency plans. Draw your own conclusions..................
 80MPH Motorway Limit - Runfer D'Hills
www.euroweeklynews.com/2011022586144/news/spain/spanish-speed-limit-reduction-comes-into-force-in-march.html
Missed the edit -

I bet the contingency plans don't include a tax reduction.
 80MPH Motorway Limit - Bigtee
You did, our lot are denying anything like that here but admit that there are contingency plans. Draw your own conclusions..................

What are those fuel rationing?
 80MPH Motorway Limit - Bellboy
doesnt bother me as im a 60mph man
hat on or off.............
>> What are those fuel rationing?
>>

There is a precedent. Rationing coupons have been issued in my driving lifetime.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 27 Feb 11 at 16:29
 80MPH Motorway Limit - Zero
no need for it. Price it out of reach.

Same thing
>> no need for it. Price it out of reach.
>>
>> Same thing
>>

No its not, with rationing essential services and workers get priority, and a black market soon develops.
 80MPH Motorway Limit - Stuu
Says the limit was reduced from 120 kph to 110 kph for dual carriageways - that mirrors alot of the new 50 zones here anyway so seems on a par.
 80MPH Motorway Limit - Armel Coussine
Down from around 75 mph to a shade under 70 then. Can be and will be safely ignored.
 80MPH Motorway Limit - Bill Payer
I reckon in the Midlands and North people have noticeably slowed down, presumeably due to the cost of fuel.

I tend to set cruise at 75MPH (actually the speed displays digitally in KPH on my Merc, so it's 120KPH) so I don't have to worry about scamera vans on bridges etc.
 80MPH Motorway Limit - Hard Cheese

Makes sense to me, raising the average speed reduces congestion, so is not neccessarily bad for the environment, and reduces journey times so is better for productivity.
 80MPH Motorway Limit - Skoda
Fat chance of an 80mph limit.

We're heading for a 40mph everywhere limit. Some British motorists struggles with our current system - noone knows what current speed limits are unless there's a sign every 12 feet telling them in numeral form, whatever you do don't put up a national sign.

So in keeping with our lowest common denominator approach for everything, we'll be adopting a 40mph everywhere limit specifically to help the hard of thinking.

I'm not being elitist by the way, but if ability of a population of motorists is spread over a bell curve shape, it makes no sense to develop policies with the 5th percentile in mind.

You wouldn't build a cash machine that was comfortable for a tall person to use now would you?

I love a morning grouch :-) most of thats put on since I'm bored but I do dread the day we give up on driving as a nation because its hard.

Edit: change of direction
Last edited by: Skoda on Mon 28 Feb 11 at 09:21
 80MPH Motorway Limit - Stuu
Id be less susprised if the limit became 80 kph...
 80MPH Motorway Limit - movilogo
Majority of people believe that speed is the root cause of all evils. So I'd be surprised if it goes up to 80 MPH even though Conservatives said they would raise it (but how do you know a politician is lying - simple, his lips are moving :)

80MPH Motorway Limit - TheManWithNoName
Having driven back to Essex from Cumbria yesterday using the A66, A1 and M11 I kept my speed between 65 and 75. I averaged 57.7mpg with a 2.0 diesel loaded up with luggage and four passengers. I can honestly say it was relaxing not having to be constantly on the look-out for speed cameras and cops whilst maintaining a good average speed and some decent fuel economy. I wans't stressing about driving up behind someone and getting them to move over. I utilised the inside lane too and quite often caught up with vehicles which had previously roared past me earlier. If they raise the limit I shan't be worried because my days of driving at that speed are long gone plus I really don't think I would arrive at my destination with any great margin of significance.
Economy = tick
Safety = tick
heart rate = tick
keeping driving licence = tick
arriving at destination unflustered, intact and relaxed = tick
 80MPH Motorway Limit - Boxsterboy
Same here. I drove to Switzerland and back last week (in 2.0 diesel auto S-Max). 5 people and car loaded to the roof. Motorway nearly all the way.

On the way out I was driving at 85-ish most of the time and averaged 36mpg. On the way back I didn't exceed 70 mph and got nearly 50 mpg until strong headwinds for the second half knocked it back to 48mpg. At these figures I could do the whole trip on one tank, and it was quite amusing to see the same barn-shaped Discoveries, Range Rovers, Q7s and a V8 Audi A4 overtake me not once, not twice, buit in some cases 3 times. Presumably they kept stopping to refuel. They may have been travelling quicker, but they weren't getting there any quicker!
.edit

Last edited by: Zero on Mon 28 Feb 11 at 18:34
Well I hope you didnt maintain 65-75 through the 50mph speed limit cameras on the A1 round Gamston?
Latest Forum Posts