Motoring Discussion > Yet another tax disc question Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: diddy1234 Replies: 9

Yet another tax disc question - diddy1234
I was wondering if the following is illegal.

I have tried for the past week to tax my car online yet the 'road fund license' website has been up and down like a yo yo.

I eventually managed to tax my car on Saturday morning.

However my question is this :-

Can I get done for not displaying a tax disc (as it is in the post on its way to me) ?

I suspect this is a grey area as I have paid for it but cannot display the disc as I have not received it yet.
 Yet another tax disc question - Old Navy
Not grey, but black and white.

You have five days dispensation after your current disc expires. As stated on the DVLA website FAQs.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 28 Feb 11 at 09:03
Ok thanks for that.
 Yet another tax disc question - R.P.
In practice you won't get hassled even after 5 days - as long as your cars pings up on PNC as not being untaxed you'll be OK - that's what they go on these days. It's the DVLA that prosecute for no VEL and they won't unless there's a loss of revenue. It would be a mean hearted Bobby that gives you a fixer for failing to display if the wind of everything else is blowing in the right direction.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Mon 28 Feb 11 at 09:25
 Yet another tax disc question - Iffy
...It would be a mean hearted Bobby that gives you a fixer for failing to display if the wind of everything else is blowing in the right direction...

Agreed.

I taxed my car online this month and the disc arrived within a couple of days, so I think you will have it on time.

Been taxing online since the service became available - not just one car but a fleet of up to three cars and 3 motorbikes in various combinations - never a problem with them.
 Yet another tax disc question - Clk Sec
Slight thread drift, but I used to take advantage of the 14 days grace (as it was known) before re-taxing my cars and bikes in the dim and distant past. I don't think it was officially recognised, though.
There was some doubletalk on the back of a tax disc that covered this - DVLA won't take action unless the tax had expired 28 days after the last day of validity, they won't authorise seizure of a vehicle until that time frame has been exceeded. A prosecution costs.
thanks for the responses everyone.
 Yet another tax disc question - Armel Coussine
This has just happened to me. I wasn't pulled in more than two months with an out of date disc in the windscreen.
Latest Forum Posts