Motoring Discussion > Insurer requires copy of licence before cover? Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Tsuper Replies: 29

Insurer requires copy of licence before cover? - Tsuper
I have been a named driver on my girlfriends van insurance for a couple of years now. She changed insurer this year to get a better price, however the new company has requested copies of both our driving licences as a condition of cover. I have not heard of this before, so is this something new to prevent fronting etc. or something more sinister? All the usual questions were asked including do I personally have the use of a works van, which I do.
 Insurer requires copy of licence before cover? - Bellboy
pretty standard for any insurance company that cares
ive just changed back to my old company and they too asked for driving licence copy
only takes a few minutes to scan and print
keranga :-)
In 20 years of motoring, I hadn't come accross this before, I suppose most people have access to scanner now and it saves the insurance company a bit of time.
 Insurer requires copy of licence before cover? - Stuartli
It's a new one on me as well.

Would have thought it very easy for any insurance company to check out driving licence details if necessary.
 Insurer requires copy of licence before cover? - Pat
Both myself and mr pda had to provide copies of our driving licences when we renewed at the end of last year too.

Pat
 Insurer requires copy of licence before cover? - Cliff Pope
They seem to have access to the driving licence database anyway. When I added a friend to my insurance for a week I gave name and date of birth over the phone and they could check the licence details immediately.

I don't think insurance companies and banks actually need any of this information, they just make you supply documents to show they have the power to do so. Jobsworths have moved up-market, and are in charge now,
 Insurer requires copy of licence before cover? - FotheringtonTomas
>> I don't think insurance companies and banks actually need any of this information,
>> they just make you supply documents to show they have the power to do so.

I agree. They would need to know in the event of a claim, though - to make sure conditions of cover were correct.
 Insurer requires copy of licence before cover? - Zero
I renewed, and Nicole started a new policy at the end of last year, and there was no mention of requesting driving license.
 Insurer requires copy of licence before cover? - Suppose
>> I agree. They would need to know in the event of a claim, though -
>> to make sure conditions of cover were correct.
>>

That used to be the standard practice. It may be that the growth of expensive referrals to the Ombudsman when Insurers turn down claims due to "defective" applications is making them do the checks at the initial point rather than wait until a claim.

>> They seem to have access to the driving licence database anyway. When I added a
>> friend to my insurance for a week I gave name and date of birth over
>> the phone and they could check the licence details immediately.
>>
That is news to me. I did not know driving licence data was or could be made available to insurance companies in this way. AFAIK, for such use, car registration data is exempt from data protection laws, but not so for driving licences.
 Insurer requires copy of licence before cover? - Bromptonaut
The vehicle information supplied by DVLA to insurance companies is AFAIK limited to make/model and associated details such as engine size, fuel type etc. No personal data involved so no engagement with data protection?
 Insurer requires copy of licence before cover? - Suppose
>> The vehicle information supplied by DVLA to insurance companies is AFAIK limited to make/model and
>> associated details such as engine size, fuel type etc. No personal data involved so no
>> engagement with data protection?
>>

Directgov says

Access to DVLA information

Only DVLA authorised staff can access these databases of information. However, legislation allows DVLA to disclose information to those who have a legal right to receive it.

Reasonable cause – when DVLA can release information

By law, DVLA must protect your personal details held on the registers. DVLA can however, under Government regulations, disclose information from the vehicle register to those who can demonstrate ‘reasonable cause'. Enquiries must give full details of why they want the information and how it will be used.

Some of the circumstances considered to be ‘reasonable cause’ include:

* matters of road safety
* events that occur as a result of vehicle use
* the enforcement of road traffic legislation
* the collection of taxes

DVLA’s driver register
Disclosure of driver information is more limited than vehicle information. However, the Agency can share driver data with other government departments or public sector bodies who can demonstrate a statutory provision to permit sharing and meet the Data Protection Act requirements. The legislation will state for what purpose the information can be requested and how it may be used.

Driver information may be shared, with the consent of the driver, with other organisations such as car hire companies or employers wishing to confirm employees’ entitlement to drive. The organisations must show a demonstrable and relevant need to obtain that information.
Last edited by: Suppose on Thu 3 Mar 11 at 12:47
 Insurer requires copy of licence before cover? - Bromptonaut
Thanks for that expansion suppose. I think it's consistent with what I said.

Data to facilitate identification of the vehicle type etc is made avilable on a commercial basis, eg to allow insurers to verify model data etc. This use is however constrained; a large oil company were found to be misusing it to x/refer models to a recommended brand/specification and flash the driver a targtted advert.

Disclosure of keeper information requires reasonablr cause
 Insurer requires copy of licence before cover? - Iffy
...Disclosure of keeper information requires reasonable cause...

Or payment of a few quid, which is all the private scam parking charge companies do.
 Insurer requires copy of licence before cover? - John H
>> ...Disclosure of keeper information requires reasonable cause...
>>
>> Or payment of a few quid, which is all the private scam parking charge companies
>> do.
>>

correction

Disclosure of keeper information requires reasonable cause AND a payment of a few quid.

DVLA website says
Parking
By releasing vehicle data we enable land owners or their agents to protect their property by tracing the keeper of a vehicle that:

* Obstructs access or has been abandoned on private property without the knowledge or permission of the land owner;
* Where parking facilities exist, has been parked without payment of the relevant fees or has been parked inconsiderately, for example without entitlement in a space reserved for disabled motorists.
Last edited by: John H on Thu 3 Mar 11 at 16:47
...correction...

The DVLA website might say a lot of things, what the DVLA do is quite different.

>> The DVLA website might say a lot of things, what the DVLA do is quite
>> different.
>>

They play it by the book.
Especially when people park on private land without payment, where they have exceed their welcome.

...They play it by the book...

They play it to raise revenue.

Insurer requires copy of licence before cover? - Bellboy

>> They play it to raise revenue.
>>
>>
>> mint......... ;-)
>> They play it to raise revenue.
>>

which is made possible especially when some iffy people park on private land without payment, where they have exceed their welcome.

...iffy people park where they have exceed their welcome...

John,

What on earth would you know about exceeding your welcome?
I pay the fees due after the first free 2 hours are up.

Last edited by: John H on Thu 3 Mar 11 at 19:43
...I would pay the fees due...

So would I, and I did in this case:

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=3677

But you don't usually get the chance, you get an attempted fine of £80, which I will not pay because it is illegal, unenforceable, a scam, and an attempt at bullying the vulnerable and gullible.

Insurer requires copy of licence before cover? - FotheringtonTomas
Oh, why not start another willy-waving exercise...
...Oh, why not start another willy-waving exercise...

Garbage.

Why try to drag me into it?

Lots of people are getting these scam tickets, some think you have to pay, some don't.

It is a perfectly valid topic for a motoring website.

Insurer requires copy of licence before cover? - Cliff Pope
>>
>>
>> Disclosure of keeper information requires reasonablr cause
>>

This was neither keeper nor vehicle information, simply the licence entitlement of a non-owner expat who needed to be able to drive my car for a short period.
The name and DOB were sufficient. The company didn't need me to state the entitlement nor endorsements etc, because they were, apparently, readily available.
 Insurer requires copy of licence before cover? - Zero
Back to the original post.

I would think an insurance company would want proof of license entitlement / confirmation of correct cover at time of claim. Thats when it matters (to them) not at time of taking out policy.
 Insurer requires copy of licence before cover? - commerdriver
Interesting topic, don't think you have to have a licence to insure a car.
Few years ago we insured MiL's wheelchair adapted car in her name with 4 named drivers
SWMBO, her 2 sisters and me. Mother in law had given up her licence several years before.
>> Interesting topic, don't think you have to have a licence to insure a car.
>>

Every insurance quotation I have had asked the question whether you held a full or provisional licence, and how many years you had held it.

>> Every insurance quotation I have had asked the question whether you held a full or
>> provisional licence, and how many years you had held it.
>>
As have all of mine, I have just never had to post a copy of my licence (intitlements included). It is not a major problem just extra hassle. When I renewed my insurance with the girlfriend as a named driver on my policy in January it was easy despite changing insurer.
>> As have all of mine, I have just never had to post a copy of
>> my licence (intitlements included).
>>

Yes, as others have already said, it used to be required to be produced sometimes only after you made a claim, not before.

Latest Forum Posts