Motoring Discussion > Central London traffic - Saturday mornings Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Alanovich Replies: 52

Central London traffic - Saturday mornings - Alanovich
I'm driving from Reading to Colchester this coming Saturday, and will have the children with me.

Obviously the quickest route is M4/M25/A12, but I am thinking about heading through central London to show them the sights a wee bit.

I would like to head to Earls Court, then down on to the Embankment, round Parliament Square and then further along the Embankment to the East Cross route to the A12.

Is this insanity? I'm leaving home about 9am so will hit central London around 10. What's traffic generally like on that route at that time of the weekend?

Thanks for any insights.
 Central London traffic - Saturday mornings - Bromptonaut
Not sure Parly square's a good idea:-

www.met.police.uk/events/index.htm#march12 (Met Police events page)

Demo starting Petty France 11:30 and routing via Parliament Sq/Trafalgar Sq then via Piccadilly Circus to Portland Place
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 10 Mar 11 at 15:12
Aww, rats. Maybe a detour south of the river then?

Any advice on where to cross/cross back for best views of Parliament/The City?
 Central London traffic - Saturday mornings - Focusless
Wouldn't it be better to take the train in on another Saturday, and go around on the underground? Or is that too expensive (I know it's not cheap)?
It's way too expensive when you consider I get diesel for free. And the underground isn't the best method of sightseeing!

I'm just trying to liven up an otherwise pretty boring journey by avoiding the M25, and get their eyes off the Nintendo DS for a minute.
Last edited by: Alanović on Thu 10 Mar 11 at 15:54
>> It's way too expensive when you consider I get diesel for free.

Fair point.

>> And the underground isn't the best method of sightseeing!

I wasn't suggesting you stay down there :)

>> I'm just trying to liven up an otherwise pretty boring journey by avoiding the M25,
>> and get their eyes off the Nintendo DS for a minute.

A worthwhile cause - just I'd be afraid of getting stuck in a jam, not having done much driving in the capital. To be honest I'd never even considered sightseeing by car in London.
 Central London traffic - Saturday mornings - Crankcase
It's the 21st century. Whenever Mrs C wants to go somewhere sightseeing I just point her at Google Streetview in the corner of the room and tell her we can spend the saved money on lollies.

We don't talk much these days.

Central London traffic - Saturday mornings - Mapmaker
Doubt you'll find much traffic at that time, I'll likely be heading in the opposite direction about then. Noting the rally:

A. I suggest crossing Vauxhall Bridge, then whizzing up the Embankment on the south side of the river if you want a view of Parliament. (From here, personally, if after speed, I'd go past the Elephant, Tower Bridge Road, turn right down Abbey St, Jamaica Road through Rotherhithe tunnel, turn left left left onto Limehouse link.)

B. If you want to get back over the river then Waterloo Bridge is a fag, Blackfriars may be trouble as they're rebuilding Blackfriars station and I've no idea what they might or might not be doing with the roads this week. That said, if you cross there you can whizz up past and look at St Paul's and wriggle somehow back onto the Embankment.

C. Or if you're happy south of the river and fancy crossing Tower Bridge, do so.

D. After either B or C go for the Highway (south of A13) and through the Limehouse link to join route A (good view of Canary Wharf as you come out). Then you have a choice.

E1. Continue A13, then join the north circular A406.
E2. Move onto A12 East Cross Route/Blackwall Tunnel Approach road. This gives you views of the Olympic Stadium.

F Now you are at the A406/A12 junction, and again you have a choice.

F1 The A12
F2 The A11, M11 and M25. Don't know whether there are roadworks on the M25 there at the moment, but assuming not this would be my choice. The A12 is an endless series of traffic lights and I loathe it.
That's tremendous, MM. Thanks.

I like the idea of C, D, then E2 as I've not yet seen the Olympic Site, and it might get the children excited about going there to see the big event next year.

A12 before the M25 sounds bad, not keen on lots of lights either. It will just remind me of home, Traffic Light City (otherwise known as Reading).
When you cross Tower Bridge, get in the right hand lane with the straight on arrows, following the yellow car/minivan.

maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=51.508529,-0.074008&spn=0,0.019205&z=16&layer=c&cbll=51.508799,-0.073976&panoid=KwIwBRQUHFJlH6PPMUBo_A&cbp=12,15.27,,0,22.53

Click the forward arrow in the middle of the road three times, and then follow the skip that is the other side of the junction.

Double click on the skip and go up Mansell St. There is a Sixt Transit that is about to do a U-turn,

maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&layer=c&cbll=51.509983,-0.073231&panoid=Fny0k7cD4hIDIly53pUQlA&cbp=12,60.23,,0,23.94&ll=51.509971,-0.073042&spn=0,0.019205&z=16

follow it and go back down Mansell St and turn left onto the Highway.

Alternatively, instead of the U-Turn, go across the junction (it's pretty unclear and if you're not careful you'll get lost) and up B126 Royal Mint St, and then turn right down Dock St and left onto the Highway.

Especially for Mrs Crankcase.
Understood.

As an alternative, what's the A11 like between Aldgate and the East Cross Route? Mile End Road is a bit of a family history location as my Great Great Grandfather used to run a stall on the Mile End Road market. Would be a nice place to point out to the younglings.
 Central London traffic - Saturday mornings - Bellboy
dont speed on tower bridge
 Central London traffic - Saturday mornings - Armel Coussine
>> dont speed on tower bridge

Oh go on. Be a devil.
 Central London traffic - Saturday mornings - Bellboy
ive done the 198 steps at camden market the other week AC by mistake
didnt see the lifts see
have you ever done them and lived?
i had to go back for the wife twice to resuscitate her
 Central London traffic - Saturday mornings - Dulwich Estate
>> dont speed on tower bridge

Oh go on. Be a devil.

Er, NO, NO, NO.

The limit, which is very strictly enforced by more cameras than Jessops, is 20 mph. Yes, Twenty.
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate on Thu 10 Mar 11 at 17:44
 Central London traffic - Saturday mornings - Zero

>> Any advice on where to cross/cross back for best views of Parliament/The City?

Yup make your way to Vauxhall cross., then along the south side of the river, past waterloo and over tower bridge.

You get a great view of MI6, The Eye, Houses of Parliament, Lambeth Palace and tower bridge.
 Central London traffic - Saturday mornings - Iffy
Cutting south of the river is hard work as you are coming from Reading and heading to Colchester.

Plenty to see if you stay on the A4, Cromwell Road, Knightsbridge, Hyde Park Corner, Constitution Hill, past Buck House, The Mall, through Admiralty Arch, nip round Trafalgar Square, head along the Strand, Aldwych, Fleet Street, past St Paul's, straight over at Mansion House, Bank of England, Lombard Street, Fenchurch Street, and you will emerge at the Aldgate for Mile End Road.

The Mother of Parliaments will still be there next time.

Central London traffic - Saturday mornings - BiggerBadderDave
Don't land on Mayfair, I've got a hotel.
I know what goes on in your Hotel.

Go to Jail, Do not pass go.
 Central London traffic - Saturday mornings - nick1975
Everyones still sleeping at that time. You'll bomb through no probs
Last edited by: nick1975 on Thu 10 Mar 11 at 21:48
Oo. That's a nice route, Iffy. Hmm.
...Oo. That's a nice route, Iffy. Hmm...

Another one would be to use the underpass at Hyde Park Corner, straight down Piccadilly to the circus, Shaftesbury Avenue, High Holborn, nip through Smithfield meat market, past the Barbican, and along London Wall to Aldgate.

Could be slightly quicker, although neither is very far, so if you are stuck in a bit of traffic, it shouldn't be for long time-wise.

Last edited by: Iffy on Fri 11 Mar 11 at 10:27
It's an odd thing, planning to drive through London for me. I usually only drive as far as the West End at the furthest (even more usually no further west than Craven Cottage).

Beyond that, I use the tube. I'm a frequent visitor (I consider myself a peripheral Londoner) and I'm very familiar with all the landmarks of London, just not so familiar with how the roads connect them on the surface.
...and I'm very familiar with all the landmarks of London...

The good thing is you are not fazed by the journey.

Easy enough to follow your nose due east, and even if you 'go wrong' the distances are tiny, and you will probably come across something of which you were previously unaware.

True enough. On the getting lost point, it won't faze me, but my good lady tends to notch up the hysterics if the children start getting restless when the journey starts taking too long................

I'll drive anywhere. I especially enjoyed driving in Naples. Which will probably come as a surprise to AC, who has completely grasped the wrong end of the stick about me, going by his proposed roll for me in the Storming of Tripoli!
A11 would be perfectly fine down Mile End Road - Limehouse link is just rather quicker and it's quite cool to go in the tunnel (don't speed there either) with a good view of Canary Wharf when you come out.

Crossing the river twice is perfectly fine, it won't cause you any problems. But Iffy has a nice route too.

...Crossing the river twice is perfectly fine...

Certainly is, and it's three times if you include the M4 at Bray on his way in. :)

London is more Mapmaker's manor than mine, but when I lived there I soon worked out the Thames twists and turns quite a lot, so even the most direct route can involve more than one crossing.

So?
The missus vetoed the idea on the grounds of potential for the children to become troublesome, and requested that we proceed to our destionation with maximum swiftness.

So we took the M25 and had brunch at South Mimse (sic).

Thanks for the input, I've saved it for later reference and hope to use it before too long.
...So we took the M25 and had brunch at South Mimse (sic)...

Last time I was there it hadn't long burned down.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Mimms_services

>> So we took the M25 and had brunch at South Mimse (sic).

Niiiiiiiiiiiice
You could have saved yourself a fortune by visiting the greasy spoon on the New Kent Road just before the BP garage. Would only have added 15 minutes to the journey, and the children surely less likely to behave with the Mapmaker I-spy tour of famous sites...
When I say behaviour, I don't really mean it in the sense of naughtiness. Our 3 year old suffers from stomach cramps leading to inevitable vomiting if in the car for too long. It's a right pain as the cramps cause her to scream at an insufferable volume. We got anway with it on the outward journey, but it started hitting us at around M4 J7 on the way home.
 Central London traffic - Saturday mornings - Dog
>>You could have saved yourself a fortune by visiting the greasy spoon on the New Kent Road just before the BP garage<<

Jesus! - you've taken me back to my yoof Mm, that place opposite (Driscoll hse.) used to be a womans refuge IIRC.

maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=new+kent+road&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=New+Kent+Rd,+London+SE1,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.49421,-0.091667&spn=0,0.029182&z=15&layer=c&cbll=51.494213,-0.091457&panoid=8kT9FdHmySjKfQILjx28MA&cbp=12,81.7,,0,3.94
...you've taken me back to my yoof Mm...

There was another greasy spoon not so very far away in Union Street, at it's junction with Southwark Bridge Road.

The area was known as Flat Iron Square, because the road split in two, and viewed from above, it looked like the shape of an iron.

I was there a few times in the early 80s and it was easy enough to park while you had a bacon roll and a cup of tea in the caff.

I imagine you couldn't leave your car for more than a minute now.

Last edited by: Iffy on Mon 21 Mar 11 at 13:14
>>There was another greasy spoon not so very far away in Union Street, at it's junction with Southwark Bridge Road.<<

We lived just down the road from that cafe Iffy, in the flats at Bankside next to the Tate mod,
it was buying that place (from Southwark C.) that launched us into the property market in the mid 80's.

Thanks Maggie (and Norman)

...it was buying that place (from Southwark C.) that launched us into the property market in the mid 80's...

Kept you out of nearby Clink Street. :)

The Anchor Bankside was a pleasant establishment.

I think it's all Pizzza Hut and Starbucks around the Globe Theatre.

Southwark Cathedral not so far away, and Borough Market.

It's only a small area of London, but one you could easily spend a day wandering around in.

Ah! The Clink ~ en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Clink-Blue-plaque.jpg

I'd like to go a'back to those days, in the Tardis I am working on, just for a few days, like.

The Anchor was a Courage house IIRC, there is an arf decent watering hole next to the Tate mod below 'my' flats called The Founders Arms (Youngs), quite nice to sit outside on a pleasant evening supping Youngs bitter (haha!)

I wouldn't recognize sowf lunden now, alas.
 Central London traffic - Saturday mornings - Bromptonaut
>> There is an arf decent watering hole next
>> to the Tate mod below 'my' flats called The Founders Arms (Youngs), quite nice to
>> sit outside on a pleasant evening supping Youngs bitter (haha!)

I was struggling to remember the name of that place. Used to be nice alternative to the usual watering holes of 'legal London' without too much of a walk.

Is it still there?
>>Is it still there? <<

Good question, I used to tune the Landlords 5 series (just thought I'd through that in for good measure)

:)
This is (was) the view from our flat ... not bad for Southwark Council.

tinyurl.com/4na5gzw
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 21 Mar 11 at 19:58
 Central London traffic - Saturday mornings - Dulwich Estate
The Anchor and Founders Arms are still there.
Hic!
Dog, your link to your view doesn't seem to work for me.

The Founders is a tourist-ridden dump IMO.

And the new flats by the Tate Modern called Neo Bankside are £2000+ per square foot.

Driscoll House is currently empty. Mr Driscoll died, the place was sold to a developer. Subsequently listed their scheme did not receive planning permission and only a nightwatchman lives there.
 Central London traffic - Saturday mornings - VxFan
>> Dog, your link to your view doesn't seem to work for me.

Works ok for me.
I just get a map, no 'view'.
Did Dog post the address in the browser, rather than obtaining the Streetview link?
 Central London traffic - Saturday mornings - John H
>> I just get a map, no 'view'.
>>

my results:

In IE9
Dog's first link initally loads streetview, then goes to map.
His 2nd link (the tinyurl one) goes straight to the map, no streetview.

In Firefox, neither link works.

This is the view I sent yesterday, there are others in the series inc. underneath Blackfriars Bridge,
where God's banker hung out.

I've tested the link and it worx (good make of elec. drill btw)

tinyurl.com/5vj6zys
 Central London traffic - Saturday mornings - VxFan
>> I just get a map, no 'view'.

I shortened the original link because it expanded the page too much. Something must have happened when I tiny'd it.
Ah! ... so you're the culprit DD ~ 3 Hail Marys AND 4 Our Fathers :)
>>The Founders is a tourist-ridden dump IMO.<<

We left there in 1987, it's gorn downhill ever since :)

The flats we lived in (Council) were called Falcon Point, right behind the Founders (very handy!)

The Anchor Bankside would be tourist-ridden (like Cornwall) all worth a visit mind,

Do they still have nightwatchmen then, I thought they went out with Ark.

Latest Forum Posts