Motoring Discussion > Lamborghini Gallardo - Lambo to the slaughter
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 16

Lamborghini Gallardo - Lambo to the slaughter - VxFan
A Lamborghini owner paid to have his car smashed up with sledgehammers after having several disputes with the dealership about maintenance issues.

tinyurl.com/4fmahjl (Links to a familiar newspaper that occasionally gets mentioned here)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jOuMbH3lDk

Lamborghini Gallardo - Lambo to the slaughter - Hard Cheese

Criminal, revelling in gratuitous vandalism, not a civilised approach at all.

Lamborghini Gallardo - Lambo to the slaughter - Iffy
...Criminal, revelling in gratuitous vandalism, not a civilised approach at all...

Tend to agree, although I wonder what a Gallardo with an engine fault and a bent chassis is worth?

A proper fix would amount to rebuilding the whole car, more or less.

Probably cheaper to buy a new one.

Lamborghini Gallardo - Lambo to the slaughter - IJWS14
It is his car - he can do what he wants with it as long as he doesn't harm anyone else.

Bad publicity for Lamborghini - they take the car in to rectify a minor problem and damage the chassis!

>>Bad publicity for Lamborghini >>

Outweighed many times over by the asre of an owner, the story reflects much more negatively on him.

Lamborghini Gallardo - Lambo to the slaughter - Stuu
Fair play to him, its his car, can do what he likes with it.

He is one up on Clarkson too as JC only bashed up a Perodua with a sledge.
 Lamborghini Gallardo - Lambo to the slaughter - Londoner
>> Outweighed many times over by the asre of an owner, the story reflects much more
>> negatively on him.
>>
Don't judge a man until you have walked in his shoes.

I've been in a similar situation where I hated a car so much that I had recurring dreams of smashing it up with a sledgehammer. I'm not ashamed to say that I had to get professional help to overcome this. (As you might expect, it turned out that there was much more to the problem than just the car)

You wouldn't criticise a man whose medical problems were physical, would you? So why judge a man whose problems are mental? Sympathy in both cases is what is required.

Lamborghini Gallardo - Lambo to the slaughter - DP
If I could afford it, and if the car had annoyed me that much, I'd have done exactly the same thing.

Financial impact notwithstanding (and I suspect that wasn't a big issue for this guy), it must have felt REALLY good. And sometimes, the value of that can't be underestimated.

>> You wouldn't criticise a man whose medical problems were physical, would you? So why judge a man whose problems are mental? Sympathy in both cases is what is required.
>>

I really dont think that applies in this case, no, it's a publicity stunt.

>>
>> I really dont think that applies in this case, no, it's a publicity stunt.
>>
I can't agree in this case, Cheddar. Had this been a perfectly good car, then I would agree with you. However, the text of the article clearly states that this car has had serious problems and the owner has had no satisfaction from the manufacturers/dealers in getting them fixed.

The frustration level in that case goes off the scale. I've been close to that feeling myself - so I know how he felt (though not with such an expensive car, obviously).

If this guy could afford to pay to have the car smashed up then he could have simply parked it at the dealers and walked away, given it to charity etc etc etc ... and gone and bought another one.

Therefore for him the implications are far less than they would be for me with a £5k car yet alone £150k.

No-one is questioning what he COULD have done, or the IMPLICATIONS. You are the only one to mention it - and FWIW I agree with your comments on those issues.

What I am trying to say is that the MOTIVATION for the smashing up was not a publicity stunt, and the reason that I think this is that I have been in a similar situation and know how it drives you crazy. What I am asking is : what makes you think that his motivation was to create a publicity stunt?
 Lamborghini Gallardo - Lambo to the slaughter - movilogo
The owner has every right to do these! It has been a media hit and that put Lambo in embarassing position, which the owner wanted.

However, smashing one own luxury car is not an unusual case. Few months back there was a news someone (also in China) smashing his expensive Mercedes sports car.

Supercars are super only in price tags. They are usually very unreliable compared to run of the mill family cars.
 Lamborghini Gallardo - Lambo to the slaughter - FotheringtonTomas
>> If this guy could afford to pay to have the car smashed up then he
>> could have simply parked it at the dealers and walked away, given it to charity
>> etc etc etc ... and gone and bought another one.

He was making the point that it was an unreliable heap of junk and that the dealer was grossly incompetent.
>>
>> He was making the point that it was an unreliable heap of junk and that
>> the dealer was grossly incompetent.
>>

Yes I know, your are reading my comment out of context.

Lamborghini Gallardo - Lambo to the slaughter - FotheringtonTomas
Major embarrassment to Lamburgrini and the dealership.
 Lamborghini Gallardo - Lambo to the slaughter - idle_chatterer
What this also highlights is that a very small percentage of people (but fairly significant in absolute terms) in China are making staggering amounts of money at the moment. There are many stories of people arriving in Hong Kong from the mainland and buying flats for tens of millions of GBP for cash and this has supposedly distorted the property market too.

The GBP 500K was probably small change to this guy however it was a more than a lifetime's earnings for most Chinese people.
Latest Forum Posts