Motoring Discussion > M3 near J4 & A331 . Weeks of 50 mph etc. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 10

M3 near J4 & A331 . Weeks of 50 mph etc. - henry k
M3 roadworks in Surrey set to delay motorists

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-12803538
 M3 near J4 & A331 . Weeks of 50 mph etc. - Injection Doc
Nothing new there then ! been weeks of 50mph from Leatherhead to A3 already and the 50mph restriction at the slip of the M3 off the M25.
They may as well make the whole motorway 50MPH !
 M3 near J4 & A331 . Weeks of 50 mph etc. - Bromptonaut
Is it really that big a problem (I mean for the BBC headline not IJ's comment)?

If it's bridge work then presumably no more than a couple of miles including a slow down zone ahead of the actual work site. Had similar for nearly a year on the M1/M6 for the Catthorpe viaduct works. Even on a short journey to Leicester it has no measurable impact on my journey time.
I guess Bromptonaut is not an M25 commuter then ? 12-25 mile tail backs are not unusual !
The longest i spent stuck on the M25 after an accident was from 06.40 till14.20 in the afternoon before I got to a slip road. Road works are a pain but they have to be done and for the saftey of the workers 50 is a must. There are those that seem to forget that workman have families too and are quite happy to bubble along at 90+ inches away from where they working
 M3 near J4 & A331 . Weeks of 50 mph etc. - Bromptonaut
IJ

I was thinking of the usual roadworks retaining the usual complement of lanes but reduced to 50. Those I mentioned on the M1 don't seem to cause a major prob. Once there's an accident in the mix all bets are off.

But you're quite right, the train takes the strain for most of my commute. Except the bits in the car and on the Bromp. I know nothing!!!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 21 Mar 11 at 21:09
 M3 near J4 & A331 . Weeks of 50 mph etc. - DP
They haven't dug up this stretch of the M3 for about 18 months now, so long overdue.

This road is the bane of my life.
Last edited by: DP on Mon 21 Mar 11 at 21:50
I must admit DP I think the M3 is possibley one of the worst stretches of motorway these days ! the traffic volume is horrendous and I always thinks its now worse than the M25 ! 4 years ago I used to queue up to 17 miles stationary to join the M25 at anytime after 6.40 in the morning. I had to start leaving home at 04.30 to miss the worst of the traffic.
J4a-J2 is a dreadful stretch of road.

As well as the traffic volume, the frequency of roadworks is alarming. Since moving to the area in 2005, I can't remember a single full calendar year where there haven't been major works on at least part of this stretch. Acoustic barrier installation, drainage improvements, alterations to the entry and exit slips at Junction 3, then more acoustic barrier works. And now this. It's never ending.

M3 near J4 & A331 . Weeks of 50 mph etc. - Chicago
Is this really news? Hasn't the M3 pretty much been under continuous roadwork since about 1998?

It might be better if they announced 'no roadwork on M3 for 3 months'

I am so glad I don't need to use _that_ road any more!
 M3 near J4 & A331 . Weeks of 50 mph etc. - Zero
Nothing wrong with horrific jams on the M3 to the M25.

It acts as a great filter and keeps the M25 reasonably clear for me. We need to block off the J3 exit south side tho, you pfd's keep escaping into my neck of the woods.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 23 Mar 11 at 10:22
>> It acts as a great filter and keeps the M25 reasonably clear for me.

I have a so-called mate who commutes from Guildford to Slough every day who says pretty much exactly the same thing. :-)
Latest Forum Posts