Motoring Discussion > We know insurance premiums are rising but... Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Stuartli Replies: 11

We know insurance premiums are rising but... - Stuartli
One of the young lads quoted in this story about car insurance premium quotes lives in my area - must wonder why he ever bothered to take his driving test...:

tinyurl.com/4hbc6k6

Let's hope the AA offer a cheaper breakdown cover figure...:-)
 We know insurance premiums are rising but... - rtj70
I like the quote "they're being priced off the road"... well yes they are.
 We know insurance premiums are rising but... - L'escargot
The AA is a broker, and the quote was being offered on behalf of one of over 20 companies on the AA panel and who probably didn't want the business. The AA was merely passing on the figure.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 22 Mar 11 at 18:31
 We know insurance premiums are rising but... - Stuartli
On the BBC's North West Tonight news programme, one viewer had e-mailed to state she was once quoted £102,000 - she added she was no teenager....
 We know insurance premiums are rising but... - RattleandSmoke
My record is £13,000 but currently paying £1030 (if you include interest) and that was by far the cheapest quote.

My comments on the matter have not been too popular on facebook but then the majority of people on my facebook are under 25.
 We know insurance premiums are rising but... - Robin O'Reliant
Young people are being priced off the road because so many of them insist on driving off the road...at high speed.
 We know insurance premiums are rising but... - Stuu
I paid £800 a year back in 1997 for a 1.3 Polo as a new driver. No idea what that is adjusted for inflation but it seemed reasonable at the time.
 We know insurance premiums are rising but... - L'escargot
The fact of the matter is that some insurance companies will quote a very high premium if they don't want your business. In a similar vein, some dealers will offer a very low trade-in value if they don't want your car.
 We know insurance premiums are rising but... - Dave_
As one of the comments in the original news article says:

They drive a 100mph car but only have a 10mph brain.

My first car insurance premium was just under £300 for a 10-year-old Allegro 1.1. Top speed of 84mph and it struggled to maintain 60mph going up hills. Even a basic Corsa/Panda/whatever will do a ton now and will inspire over-confidence in the young driver at lower speeds.
 We know insurance premiums are rising but... - Alanovich
>> Even a basic
>> Corsa/Panda/whatever will do a ton now and will inspire over-confidence in the young driver at
>> lower speeds.
>>

This is why I want to teach my children to drive in my Volvo 360. I'm half tempted to also buy an immaculate 1.4 litre 340 or two whilst there are still some about for them to use when they pass their tests. Proper cars which don't inspire over-confidence on the road.
 We know insurance premiums are rising but... - swiss tony
>> >> Even a basic
>> >> Corsa/Panda/whatever will do a ton now and will inspire over-confidence in the young driver at lower speeds.

>> This is why I want to teach my children to drive in my Volvo 360.
>> I'm half tempted to also buy an immaculate 1.4 litre 340 or two whilst there
>> are still some about for them to use when they pass their tests. Proper cars
>> which don't inspire over-confidence on the road.
>>

Or any car, that gives enough feedback, to allow conditions to be 'read'.
Something that most current cars are too clinical to do.
 We know insurance premiums are rising but... - Kithmo
Well at least it included free breakdown cover ;0)
Latest Forum Posts