Motoring Discussion > Rear wheel bearing design / integrity question? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 18

Rear wheel bearing design / integrity question? - Hard Cheese

We have had our ’98 Clio from nearly new and I have removed the rear drums on a number of occasions to inspect the shoes, replace a cylinder etc. The wheel bolts onto the drum which contains the wheel bearing and fits onto the stub axle that protrudes from the back plate. To get to the brake shoes etc the hub nut has to be removed and the drum extracted from the stub axle.

The wheel bearing is an interference fit in the drum and can only be extracted one way with a circlip retaining it. The bearing comprises a single outer tube containing a roller bearing at the wheel end and a tapered roller bearing at the back plate end meaning that the inner section of the whole bearing is in two pieces. I realised at the weekend that the tapered roller section is removable by hand therefore due to the hub nut clamping onto the inner section of the bearing the security of the wheel is provided by the integrity of the roller bearing section of the wheel bearing alone.

I guess this is not unusual, any thoughts or experiences?
 Rear wheel bearing design / integrity question? - Runfer D'Hills
>> I guess this is not unusual, any thoughts or experiences?

Yeah, I think you need to get back to work soon me old son...

:-)

He he, get back to work, waddya mean, I haven't finished yet!

Rear wheel bearing design / integrity question? - bathtub tom
1. Are you sure?

2. It would seem to me that there should be a large washer between the hub-nut and the outer of the bearing.

3. Don't worry about it. You should have complete faith in the expertise of the Frenchman that designed this system. How many three-wheeled Clios have you seen?
1. Yes.

2. There is not.

3. Not worried though interested, 3 wheeled Clios, none.
 Rear wheel bearing design / integrity question? - Old Navy
Don't forget that Chedders has had the hub off a few times, were the appropriate retaining components replaced and / or refitted in accordance with the manufacturers requirements?

>>were the appropriate>>

Yep ON, undoubtedly.

>> Yep ON, undoubtedly.
>>
>>
I didn't doubt it, no three, or even two wheels on your wagon then. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 22 Mar 11 at 20:54
 Rear wheel bearing design / integrity question? - corax
>> How many three-wheeled Clios have you seen?

None, but I've seen a three legged man.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS-itkO9ia8&feature=related
Last edited by: corax on Tue 22 Mar 11 at 20:46
 Rear wheel bearing design / integrity question? - Fenlander
Trust Citroen....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Vp-Y6Ue3w&feature=related
 Rear wheel bearing design / integrity question? - Number_Cruncher
It's much more likely to be a back to back angular contact bearing.

>> It's much more likely to be a back to back angular contact bearing.
>>

Angular contact bearings are ball bearings?
 Rear wheel bearing design / integrity question? - Number_Cruncher
>>comprises a single outer tube

Thinking about it, if your bearing does have a one piece outer race, and if it has come apart allowing you to see the rolling elements, whatever the form of those elements, it's scrap.

These should be one piece bearings that shouldn't come apart.

>> Thinking about it, if your bearing does have a one piece outer race, and if
>> it has come apart allowing you to see the rolling elements, whatever the form of
>> those elements, >>

Though there is nothing to stop the tapered roller section coming apart, it is simply a cone fitting into a cone and can be extracted.

Rear wheel bearing design / integrity question? - Cliff Pope
Cheapskate design. On a proper set up you can remove the drum/disk to get at the brakes without having to disturb the bearing and risking letting dirt in.

It doesn't disturb the bearing, it simply slides off the stub axle. However the tapered roller can be extracted.

Rear wheel bearing design / integrity question? - swiss tony
>>
>> It doesn't disturb the bearing, it simply slides off the stub axle. However the tapered
>> roller can be extracted.
>>
So by default is NOT a sealed bearing, thus there is a risk of contamination entering the bearing whilst being worked on.
I presume there's a cap over the bearing when fully assembled?
A taper bearing has to be reset correctly on reassembly so it must have been disturbed, and vunerable to dirt contamination as well. as said earlier, cheapskate design.
 Rear wheel bearing design / integrity question? - DP
The front wheel bearings on the Ford Sierra were a very similar two piece taper design, and the hub nut fastening torque was critical, I seem to remember.

I disturbed the inner race once, can't remember why, but just gave it all a coat of clean grease, torqued it back up carefully and it didn't give any trouble.

Latest Forum Posts