Motoring Discussion > Can you open bonnet? (DM link) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 21

Can you open bonnet? (DM link) - movilogo
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1369461/4-million-British-motorists-dont-know-open-car-bonnet.html

Number of male motorists unable to open car bonnet - 6 per cent

Number of female motorists unable to open car bonnet - 17 per cent

Number of drivers who have never had car serviced - 2.6m

Number of drivers more concerned about how the car looks than how it works - 67 per cent
I'm stunned if this figure is true!

Number of drivers more concerned with condition of engine - 13 per cent

Number who have filled their car's tank with the wrong type of fuel - 1.9m

Can you open bonnet? (DM link) - Bromptonaut
>> Number of female motorists unable to open car bonnet - 17 per cent

Made a point of making sure daughter could do this and knows what vital liquids go where.
 Can you open bonnet? (DM link) - Hard Cheese

>> Made a point of making sure daughter could do this and knows what vital liquids
>> go where.
>>

But the Chablis goes in the boot ... ...
 Can you open bonnet? (DM link) - Redviper

>> Number of drivers who have never had car serviced - 2.6m
>>
>> Number of drivers more concerned about how the car looks than how it works -
>> 67 per cent
>> I'm stunned if this figure is true!

Does not suprise me. for most a car is a white good, that is more of a accesory than a tool.

>> Number who have filled their car's tank with the wrong type of fuel - 1.9m
>>

This does suprise me, didnt realise that it would be so high, on a personal level I dont know of anyone that has done this.
 Can you open bonnet? (DM link) - Alanovich
My Mum did it a few weeks back. Petrol into a diesel Multipla.

It has suffered no ill effects, so far.
 Can you open bonnet? (DM link) - swiss tony
>> Number who have filled their car's tank with the wrong type of fuel -
>> 1.9m

>> This does suprise me, didnt realise that it would be so high, on a personal
>> level I dont know of anyone that has done this.
>>
I'm surprised too.
I would have said it would have been higher!
Hardly a week goes by without 2-3 drain and refills... and often new hi-pressure pumps etc, being done in our workshop.....
 Can you open bonnet? (DM link) - Pat
I have :(

Pat
 Can you open bonnet? (DM link) - Old Navy
>> I have :(
>>
>> Pat
>>

I have a BiL (once) and a SoniL (twice), their excuse was having a mixed petrol / diesel family fleets. Obviously can't tell the difference between a BMW and a Honda FRV, doh.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 24 Mar 11 at 17:00
 Can you open bonnet? (DM link) - Pat
My excuse was I'd been away all week in the lorry and got home to find the Xantia empty on Saturday morning.
I just drove to the local garage, picked up the diesel pump and filled it up....it was petrol.

I drove off too, all of 5 yards:)

Pat
 Can you open bonnet? (DM link) - Zero

>> This does suprise me, didnt realise that it would be so high, on a personal
>> level I dont know of anyone that has done this.

I have, 25 litres of unleaded into a 1.7TD cavalier. Another 30 litres of diesel on top - still ran ok.
 Can you open bonnet? (DM link) - L'escargot
>> www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1369461/4-million-British-motorists-dont-know-open-car-bonnet.html
>>
>> Number of male motorists unable to open car bonnet - 6 per cent
>>
>> Number of female motorists unable to open car bonnet - 17 per cent

What it actually says is "Modern day drivers take such little interest in car maintenance that 17 per cent of women and six per cent of men are clueless when it comes to lifting their bonnet."

I'm not sure it means they can't, just that they don't know what to do when they have.

Can you open bonnet? (DM link) - Old Navy
I just knew there was a reason why I don't buy used cars any more.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 24 Mar 11 at 15:16
 Can you open bonnet? (DM link) - Robin O'Reliant
How many people in your road do you ever see looking under the bonnet of their cars? In my Cul-de-Sac of around 40 houses there is only one other apart from myself.

And if anyone passes while I am having a routine fluids check I will invariably draw a comment of "Broke down, then"?
 Can you open bonnet? (DM link) - spamcan61
>> How many people in your road do you ever see looking under the bonnet of
>> their cars? In my Cul-de-Sac of around 40 houses there is only one other apart
>> from myself.
>>
>> And if anyone passes while I am having a routine fluids check I will invariably
>> draw a comment of "Broke down, then"?
>>
Exactly the same here, in a similar size cul-de-sac.
 Can you open bonnet? (DM link) - movilogo
Don't they ask to open the bonnet during driving test anymore?
 Can you open bonnet? (DM link) - Zero
how many people buy the car they passed their test in?
 Can you open bonnet? (DM link) - Redviper
>> how many people buy the car they passed their test in?
>>

I learned to drive in a Mk2 Nissan Micra, 1.0 16v i think it was, borrowed my mams about 5 years later, and I could not even fit in it.
 Can you open bonnet? (DM link) - DP
If I ruled the world, basic mechanical checks (fluid levels, tyre pressures, tread depth) would be part of the driving test.

Modern cars make this easy for you. Open the bonnet, and all the non-user parts are sheathed in plastic. The stuff you need to worry about is marked in a lairy colour and often labelled. It's not like a modern engine compartment is as intimidating as the old days, when you had loads of exposed hoses, cables and wires strewn all over the shop in a haphazard fashion.
 Can you open bonnet? (DM link) - Tigger
BL had a good idea on (I think) a model of the Maestro.

Oil items were one (bright) colour - dipstick and oil filler cap
Water was another bright colour, steering fluid a third

With a nice big colour chart saying what fluid went where.

Then the dolts made the mistake of marketing it as 'for women' - and it flopped.
 Can you open bonnet? (DM link) - Robin O'Reliant
>> If I ruled the world, basic mechanical checks (fluid levels, tyre pressures, tread depth) would
>> be part of the driving test.
>>
>>
You can lead a horse to water etc...
 Can you open bonnet? (DM link) - Skoda
A lot of folks don't see the point. I can understand why, and provided they pay someone who does care to look after it regularly, i don't have any issue. Local garages, breakdown services and car washes have all been invented already. If it aint your cup of tea, fair play.

Same thing goes on in IT. People join the internet with their worm ridden, protocol abusing, malware spreading, inefficient heaps of junk they call PCs, without a second thought for others sharing the network :-)
 Can you open bonnet? (DM link) - Dulwich Estate
Surely now - in modern cars for modern motorists, the bonnet, like so many oily bits, is just another a sealed for life component. I look after 4 cars for close family members. The only one who unprompted opens the bonnet and checks levels is my 82 year old mum. She even checks the tyre pressures and uses a foot pump - not one of these softy electric jobs.

The other three claim not to to know where the release catch is - even though I've shown them...more than once.......ggrrrrr.
Latest Forum Posts