Motoring Discussion > Flashing amber at night Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 12

Flashing amber at night - SteelSpark
A good idea?

tinyurl.com/6l35zmh
 Flashing amber at night - Mike H
Of course. Works here in Austria. It just means the light-controlled junction is turned into a "Give way" junction at off-peak. As long as drivers are aware what it means, it's no big deal.
 Flashing amber at night - Zero
Works well in some European countries and the states.,
 Flashing amber at night - Skoda
Excellent idea. Personally i'd just turn them off all over the city at night. Maybe one or 2 key junctions i'd leave them on for, and the others only come on when a pedestrian wants to cross.
 Flashing amber at night - -
Great idea if they'd reprogram the thousands of (previously free flowing but gridlocked after being traffic lit) countrywide roundabouts that cause untold misery and pollution whilst motorists wait for no one...simply turning the lights off would confuse many modern drivers.
 Flashing amber at night - Runfer D'Hills
Most traffic lights would be best done away with and replaced with roundabouts. In our wee town there are two major junctions on the same road about a quarter of a mile apart. The first is controlled by traffic lights and is often congested. The other which has a similar level of traffic is managed by a mini-roundabout and flows freely.

The only useful purpose for traffic lights is at pedestrian crossings. Zebra crossings are a nightmare, people keep crossing at them the inconsiderate twonks...

:-)
 Flashing amber at night - -
Agreed, nothing wrong with roundabouts in general, but what fool thinks it's a good idea to control them with traffic lights 24/7...2 major ones within 2 miles of us are so equipped, they used to flow well before someone with a traffic light budget had the urge to spend my/our money.

I don't even mind peak hour controls when non drivering mimsers at the wheel cause mayhem, but not at 4am for goodness sake.
 Flashing amber at night - Old Navy
It was all part of the labour governments war on the motorist, along with road capacity reducing things like bus lanes and reducing the lanes on many dual carriageways. It will take a generation to undo the damage if ever.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 24 Mar 11 at 21:27
I have started to ignore traffic lights on roundabouts. Its a roundabout for gods sake, if i can see round it and its clear I will go.
 Flashing amber at night - Runfer D'Hills
You'll get a ticket you will.

:-)
Me? Never! (well minus the odd bus lane offence)

When I know I am breaking the law I am very careful!
 Flashing amber at night - Old Navy
>> Me? Never! (well minus the odd bus lane offence)
>>
>> When I know I am breaking the law I am very careful!
>>

Beware the cctv.
 Flashing amber at night - Dave_
>> i'd just turn them off all over the city at night

That wouldn't work around here. The Highway Code advises that drivers treat unlit traffic lights as red, but here they treat them as green. I've been hooted at more than once for slowing to a crawl through our town's main junction during a power cut.
Latest Forum Posts