Motoring Discussion > Unusual Sightings - Volume 9   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 96

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 10 *****

Sightings of the odd, rare or bizzare (cars, trucks and bikes that is....!!)
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 11 May 11 at 21:05

Sightings of the Unusual Volume 8 - Dave_
While we're on unusual sightings, a couple of days ago I was passed on the A427 outside Corby by a Toyota pickup towing a felled tree. Not a tree on a trailer, just a tree being dragged along the road at a good 60mph. It was probably 20 feet high (long?) and with branches to a circumference of 8 feet or so.

Hadn't even got a trailer board on the back.

Sightings of the Unusual Volume 8 - Zero
Was it heading towards Stamford? The Itinerant Tarmac Layers have a fair there this week. All the locals are guarding their heating oil round the clock.

Sightings of the Unusual Volume 8 - Clk Sec
11 reg Fiat 500 in matt black. Not at all pretty.

Sightings of the Unusual Volume 8 - Dog
Battleship grey MGB GT on the Newquay road yesterday being driven by a middle aged Woman :+)

Sightings of the Unusual Volume 8 - Fenlander
Not amazingly obscure but a pleasure to see on the road this morning in the sun... A gleaming mid metallic blue Lotus Elan +2S with dark grey Minilites. Looking just like this one but with slightly different wheels.

www.picturearchive.co.za/Images/large_1973+Lotus+Elan+%252B2S+blue-front2%3Dmx%3D.jpg

He caught me up in a village 40 and I let him pass on the open road to look at the car for a few miles.

>>A gleaming mid metallic blue Lotus Elan +2S with dark grey Minilites<<

I tuned quite a few of those in the 70's/80's, didn't do a great deal for me tbh - here's one 4sale }~ www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C220229/

Sightings of the Unusual Volume 8 - Fenlander
It's a childhood thing I guess as with the various classics different people like. There was one in our village around 1970 and it looked so good compared with all the other cars people were running.

The lines are so delicate and made the Octavia VRS that just had to pass us both today look like a brick.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 11 Apr 11 at 13:46

>>it looked so good compared with all the other cars people were running.<<

Oh yes! - I can certainly go along with that :)

Sightings of the Unusual Volume 8 - Armel Coussine
The Elan +2 wasn't as aesthetically perfect as the Elan, to my taste anyway, and I don't like pop-up headlights either. But it was perfectly acceptable looking, only a bit heavier than an Elan and with room for four (provided two were small). Quite fancied one for a while when they were cheap, but as usual didn't do anything about it.

Saw a BRG Sunbeam 3-litre (I guess) open 4-seat tourer coming out of a side turning this morning. Was tempted to pull in and wait for it to pass, but didn't. Very handsome beast, and they were effective too.

Sightings of the Unusual Volume 8 - Clk Sec
Briefly spotted a nice looking black C registered (1965) Bentley while out walking yesterday. I'd like one.

I was behind an Audi R8 yesterday (in deepest darkest Cornwall fer Christ's sake!)

it didn't do a lot for me I must admit - it seemed (to me) all body and no car.

Sure, iit can do 0-60 in the blink of a gnats eyelid but - it was stuck in traffic just as much as was I.

Sightings of the Unusual Volume 8 - henry k
On the M4 a nice Audi R8 and then on the M40 (N) approaching Oxford one of these, a LHD, three door versions in this colour.
It looks bad in the PR shots but is so awful looking on the road.
The rear is also a mess to match the other views
www.dieselcaronline.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Range-Rover-Evoque-Coupe-Prestige.jpg

Sightings of the Unusual Volume 8 - Ted

Stop it, Henry....I nearly threw up !

Ted

Sightings of the Unusual Volume 8 - henry k
Sorry Ted. I posted after most people have dined but I was still en route to dine out with my daughter on her birthday.

SWMO was equally free with her dislike of said vehicle.
It was a LHD version so that might be some excuse for such a choice.
Hopefullly it will be removed from out shores !

Do they expect to sell these things? for money?

>>It looks bad in the PR shots but is so awful looking on the road<<

I quite like it (design wise) s'what I imagined 2001 would look like, back in 69.

Not saying I'd buy one though.

Sightings of the Unusual Volume 8 - bathtub tom
Good grief Dog. What were you taking back in '69? ;>)

>>Good grief Dog. What were you taking back in '69? ;>)<<

Quite tame really, compared to what some dudes get down them these days, I hear!

Sightings of the Unusual Volume 8 - Alanovich
As many on here will know, I loathe SUVs.

These, despite myself, I like the look of. I need a nice cup of tea and a sit down.

>> These, despite myself, I like the look of. I need a nice cup of tea
>> and a sit down.

www.specsavers.co.uk/

Well, even at 41, my vision is still 20 20. It's what my warped brain does with the images it receives that causes the problem.

I still want a Volvo P1800 estate. And I own a Volvo 360 saloon - I think it a handsome beast, everyone else thinks it ought to be crushed as it's an offence to the eyeballs.

>>everyone else thinks it ought to be crushed as it's an offence to the eyeballs<<

Including me! ... but if it's a GLT with the Vulva injun, I'll let you orf :)

It's a GLE, Dawg. But, yes, it has the Volvo 2.0i redblock.

Ah, that's OK then :)

Lie down on the couch Tovarich, and lets begin your first session.

www.examiner.com/classic-autos-in-national/classic-volvo-p1800-es-design-shows-up-new-frankfurt-auto-show-volvo-c30

UGLY BZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

www.aldissandmore.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Volvo_360_1.jpg

UGLY BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

www.british-car-auctions.co.uk/Default.aspx?page=9777

Pretty DING!

You can see where they got the idea for the C30 from.

To be fair, and I was joking a bit, the P188 estate is actually a good basic shape, and is ruined by the styling touches

Take away those chrome side strips, blend the rear fins and wings away into the tapering of the body work, different rear lights and less clumsy treatment of the hinges in the tailgate, and it could be a real looker.

My 360:

i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa332/alanovich/360.jpg

Lego springs to mind.

So unlike the Lancer. Which is something you stab boils with, isn't it?

;-)

Yeah, you got it

Sharp!

You have inspired me so much I might even detail it this afternoon.

Well wash and wax it anyway

Well maybe wash it.

Hmm it might rain, that will do.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 14 Apr 11 at 10:54

Is there anything like this for the Lancer? Apart from EVOs of course.

www.volvo360cup.com/

I'm thinking of driving my 360 over there to a race meet.
Last edited by: Alanović on Thu 14 Apr 11 at 10:56

Wow, that looks like one of those kids play areas in the doctors waiting room, you know where there is a lot of duplo scattered around ;)

Seriously, as you say, plenty of evo events!
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 14 Apr 11 at 11:01

>> I loathe SUVs.

I don't. And I like this one too, to look at. Tonka toy look and quite slick. Range Rovers started with 3 doors too and that is their proper configuration.

Pay no attention to the scoffing, hee-hawing and posting of spectacle websites, Alanovic. Aesthetic dunces, half the people here.

>> >> I loathe SUVs.
>>
>> I don't.

Actually AC, I suppose I don’t either. I just loathe seeing them being driven around congested cities by people with no intention/need to use them for what they’re supposed to be used for.

I think the RR Evoque a good looking vehicle, but that won’t stop me sucking my teeth in an unpleasant manner when the first one turns up at my son’s urban school. The car park there is already 50% filled with full size RRs, Porsche Cayennes, XC90s etc. Interestingly, most of them have at least one tyre worn beyond legality, often all 4. Fur coat, no knickers, my grandmother would have said. Either that or ignorance/arrogance. Can’t be any other reasons for driving an unroadworthy vehicle.

>> most of them have at least one tyre worn beyond legality, often all 4. Fur coat, no knickers, my grandmother would have said

You do seem to be scrutinising these things very closely Alanovic... I think you secretly fancy one, but don't have a decent excuse to get one.

The problem the way I see it is not that SUVs are too big for (e.g.) Kensington, but that they are so often driven in the same half-witted, self-important way as small cars, and therefore manage to take up more room than they should.

It's crucial for example to position your car correctly when you are turning right off a busy but restricted-width main road (bus lanes and similar carp helping to narrow it). But only a minority of drivers do so. Most stop diagonally across both theoretical lanes in the carriageway preventing those following from passing to the left. One of the many causes of the Tourette's-like explosions of loud obscenity I sometimes suffer from, to the alarm and distaste of my long-suffering, er, let's say partner this time why not?

The old jealousy argument again, eh?

In my early 20s, my family had a Daihatsu Fourtrak, as we were up and down to property in Spain with a very steep unmade access road (mind you the neighbours seemed to get by with a Citroen CX quite nicely). I was allowed to pilot it quite often.

I did not like the driving characteristics one little bit, and it was defeated in snow. I preferred my FIAT Regata 1.3. One winter I had it in Nottingham with me (1990-91) during a period of quite heavy snow. I lived in a quiet road with a slight incline up towards the Derby Road (Harlaxton Drive in Lenton if anyone knows the area). The Fourtrack could not find any grip whatoever and was marooned. My housemate's Renault 5 zoomed out of the driveway and it was away without the slightest trouble.

The day I buy one for exlusively on-road use will be a cold day in Hell.

I am wont to examine the tyres on SUVs because, when I am in the Golf or 360, the top of the tyres on the things is just about at eye level. The worst offenders are low profile jobbies such as seen on X5s. If I'm being charitable, I'll put it down to the owners simply believing that their vehicle is perfect by dint of its make and model, and therefore never bothering to check such mundane things as tyres until an oily person does it for them.
Last edited by: Alanović on Thu 14 Apr 11 at 16:14

>> The old jealousy argument again, eh?

Tee hee... take it easy Alanovic!

Listen: I live in the country but have no reason to drive an SUV. Nevertheless I do quite like some SUVs which are capable on as well as off road. Cayenne for example, and perhaps this new Range Rover thing, among others. I did a trip to Ireland in a 3 litre diesel Discovery and that was a nice motor too, silent 100mph cruise and no sense of instability at all.

But the very thought of 'envying' someone because they had the means and motivation to buy one for the school and shopping runs is ludicrous to me, as I would expect it to be to any rational person. Including yr good self as far as I know.

Geddit?

(Heh heh)

Sightings of the Unusual Volume 8 - Runfer D'Hills
I have a slightly poofy SUV in the form of my Qashqai, in fact we have two. I accept no culpability for the first one, it was given to me by my slave masters. The second one however, was nagged out of me by my wife but in mitigation, she is after all a Cheshire lass and they are sociologically pre-conditioned to have big hair and a 4x4 or at least something which looks like one. Only if a suitable convertible is not chosen instead of course...

I did try to get away with buying her something more normal but her eyes just glazed over at the very suggestion and being a fan of a quiet life and conjugal recreation it did seem the line of least resistance in the end.

I suspect most people who don't waste their free time posting on motoring forums probably don't give their car choice a great deal of thought beyond the criteria of I want, I can afford and does my bum look big in it really.

:-)
>> poofy SUV

Isn't a Qashqai a fairly sensible, economical and stable capacious part-time 4wd faux SUV rather than a poofy one? Actually the new RR thingy upthread is a bit on the pert and pretty side, but I still like it.

Anyway I'm sure your bum looks fabulous in it Humph...

Sightings of the Unusual Volume 8 - Runfer D'Hills
Aw shucks AC !

:-)
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Thu 14 Apr 11 at 17:48

>> Tee hee... take it easy Alanovic!

This is me taking it easy! :-)

>>
>> Geddit?

Nope. I'm not very good at reading between lines, I have quite a literal mind. I think that's what causes me to get far too upset about things I read on internet forums than I should.

It's certainly not envy which stirs within me regarding SUVs (I'm quite capable of buying and running one), it's bafflement I suppose. Envy is a throroughly pointless emotion.

Sightings of the Unusual Volume 8 - BobbyG
>>I am wont to examine the tyres on SUVs because, when I am in the Golf or 360

Alanovic, didn't realise you were a Ferrari driver - I can see why you would find SUVs threatening sitting that low.

But sitting upright in a Golf and the SUV tyre is at eye level?????

>> But sitting upright in a Golf and the SUV tyre is at eye level?????
>>

The top of the tyre is, Bobby. And no, I'm not Tattoo from Fantasy Island. I'm 5'10".

My 360 is altogether more classy than tawdry, look-at-me Ferrari ever could be. :-)

>> Fur coat, no knickers, my grandmother would have said.

I don't suppose either of my grandmothers would have seen the point of fur coat, no knickers, any more than yours did Alanovic.

But I have to say that despite my advancing years I still do rather. Conjures up the odd stirring image from the distant past.

It must be quite depressing to have dementia and lose your memory.

>>Conjures up the odd stirring image from the distant past<<

You and me both Effendi.

:-D

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - Focusless
Cheating a bit but while waiting for Waitrose to open this morning in Woodley precinct (forget to get the hot cross buns yesterday), a black Wolseley 6/90 trundled by and parked up, followed by a rumbling Jenson Interceptor III. There's a classic car show there later today.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - R.P.
Saturday, Bangor, a little Mini van on an R Plate (1976ish) - signwritten to a local builders' suppliers - pretty tidy in the ubiquitous grey that I seem to remember them from the 70s - seemed to be at work rather than on show. Closely followed by a Paramedic Focus Estate (which looked huge in comparison) the last three letters of its number plates were "DOA" which made me think.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - Alanovich
I once bought an Alfa 33 - last three letters on the number plate were "DUD". The cambelt snapped and killed the engine within 2 weeks. I had had it booked in for a cambelt change the day after it went bang.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - Alanovich
This weekend, a pastel peach coloured Mark 1 Vauxhall Cavalier saloon, T-reg. What a pleasing looking car. Very good nick, driven by quite a youngish looking chap. Considered a family saloon in its day, looks about the size of a supermini now.

Actually, also saw a Mark 2 estate yesterday, but this was in utterly shocking conditon, very much last legs material.

I had a beige Vauxhall Cavalier for a while - nicely solid car with the cam in head engine. As you suggest very small compared to a current Insignia equivalent

A S plated Triumph 2000 saloon today - in "everyday" condition must be challenge to keep it running in this day and age.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - Stuu
The other day on the way to Norwich I followed a seriously mint 1983 Passat hatchback GL5 in a doom blue. Old fella driving with the old lady in the back seat doing a steady 80 aswell.

Looks so dainty compared to todays Passat.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - legacylad
Tonight in Settle a 5 door S3. Didn't know you could get an S3 with 5 doors. Ugly, although I like the 3 door variant in white.
Insignia VXR..never heard of this model. Nice blue colour though. Hope it goes better than SWMBO Insignia Ecoflex pile of pooh.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - Bagpuss
I had to do a double check on this one - a Gordon-Keeble! In Munich. Very nice looking if not quite as well balanced as a Ferrari of similar vintage. First one I can ever remember seeing, right hand drive obviously.

Today on the autobahn near Stuttgart, got overtaken by what I thought was a heavily (and badly) customised Fiat Coupe. As it went past I saw the 4 exhaust pipes and the badge on the back - Qvale Mangusta. Looks like it was styled by a 4 year old.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - Armel Coussine
Yesterday afternoon, a vintage Lagonda tourer (2 litre I think) on one side of Pulborough and a vintage Bentley (3 litre I think) on the other side of Pulborough. Both passed in the other direction while I was driving so couldn't really focus on them. But both were painted in brg and both were spotless and gleaming. Something going on down the road at Goodwood perhaps.

It is cheering to think some people find it worthwhile to support the considerable cost of running 80-year-old thoroughbred jalopies from the golden age of the British Mr Toad.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - Mike Hannon
I'll second that.
And on the subject of Mr Toad, I see there's an ad in Classic and Sportscar (now sadly downmarket I fear, apart from the dealer ads) for the late Rt Hon Alan Clark's Bentley R-type Continental. I came across it in the street a few years ago at the Angouleme 'Circuit des Remparts', looking as he would have wished, ie well maintained but delightfully unkempt. It now looks very shiny. I hope its next owner appreciates it as much as he did.

>> I hope its next owner appreciates it as much as he did.

... and has the gonads to hit 100 or so driving it round Hyde Park, as he did when test-driving it before writing the cheque...

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - Manatee
>> I'll second that.
>> And on the subject of Mr Toad, I see there's an ad in Classic and
>> Sportscar (now sadly downmarket I fear, apart from the dealer ads) for the late Rt
>> Hon Alan Clark's Bentley R-type Continental.

I spent an enjoyable hour or two driving a Continental R on Sunday on a historic vehicle tour, thanks to a generous, true car enthusiast, friend. Coincidentally, (AC's post above) the Bentley was a last minute substitute for a '29 Lagonda 2 litre Speed High Chassis, which was threatening unreliability.

There was another similar Lagonda on the run though - obviously well used, and given to the owner as a wedding present 40 years ago - he's done 65,000 miles in it since.

There were a few interesting vehicles on show, including the Ecurie Ecosse transporter (Dinky toy anybody?) with a priceless C type and not-unvaluable replica D type on board.

Sadly no Jowetts Ted. As a tyke I look out for them.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - henry k
>>Something going on down the road at Goodwood perhaps.
>>
Just a normal Sunday meeting.
"As in previous years, the Breakfast Club meetings will be held on the first Sunday of the month at the historic Goodwood Motor Circuit, with the exception of July and September, when the hugely successful Festival of Speed (1-3 July) and Goodwood Revival (16-18 September) motor sport events will be held."

"....the Goodwood Breakfast Club remains free to all visitors. It is now firmly established as a ‘must attend’ event for thousands of car and motorcycle connoisseurs who appreciate an enjoyable Sunday morning drive through the quiet West Sussex country roads down to Goodwood, where they are able to meet like-minded enthusiasts, admire some fabulous machinery, and eat a tasty Goodwood organic breakfast, before heading back home in time for the Sunday roast, to do a bit of gardening and DIY, or simply put their feet up and watch the Grand Prix! "

Last edited by: henry k on Mon 2 May 11 at 16:17

Do you ever go henry k? Thanks for that.

Might try it this summer if I can get up in time.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - swiss tony
>> Do you ever go henry k? Thanks for that.
>>
>> Might try it this summer if I can get up in time.
>>
Maybe we could organize a C4P meet there?

>> Do you ever go henry k? Thanks for that.
>>
Yes I have been and it is a very relaxed meet.
Lots of the more specilal vehicles were lined up and you can just wander along the lines and enjoy the sights.
The carrparks, as you would imagine, also have a good selection of visitors vehicles.
You can book breakfast or take your own tucker.
It is better to get there early if possible as some of the vehicles on display do drift off during the morning.

www.goodwood.co.uk/downloads/motorsport/2011bcthemesanddates.pdf

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - Zero
Well I think I will shoot off to the 1st sunday june one then. Thats sunday the 5th

>> Thats sunday the 5th

Heh heh... have to start getting in training to get up in time. I wonder if a month is long enough.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - nyx2k
imnot sure it was was a normal meetiing yesterday as it was way bigger than normal and many more exotic cars than normal aswell. many supercars in evidence and a few celbs aswell

Two today - one a battered but taxed Vauxhall Chevette..... and later a 1965 Hillman Super Minx on local plates, both cars obviously in daily use must take some ingenuity to keep them on the road these days.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - borasport
A dirty mark in lane 2 of the M6, looking just like the sort of tarry mess when somebody has done a bit of slap dash resurfacing.
a dirty mark that becomes a narrower, jet black, oil black, narrow line heading off on to the hard shoulder, where it terminates under a scarlet red 59 reg Astra coupe with the bonnet up and a bunch of young men looking concerned.
You really don't see that sort of thing any more, and boy do I feel sorry for them.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - Skoda
>> where it terminates under a scarlet red ...

Ouch!

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - borasport
my thoughts exactly, on so many levels

It obviously hadn't gone bang because it was short of oil, the amount on the carriageway showed that.
It's quite unusual for a modern car to dump the contents of its sump in such a dramatic fashion, and the car did look like somebodies pride and joy.
I've been stuck on the hard shoulder of M6 on the start of a bank holiday and it didn't half spoil my weekend (that's what happens when you buy a Yugo)

I wonder, I just wonder, if the owner will be on ebay chasing up the supplier of that super add in chip pack they bought ?

I saw a trail of oil leading to a Pug 206 parked untidily on the hard shoulder with a distraught woman by the side of it. The screen and front were thick black with oil. One of infamous rod through the side of the block problems I think. Scary experience

I wonder what happened about the Pug/Citroen 'put a rod through' problem? Last I heard over here they were recruiting victims for a legal 'class action' challenge after Peugeot gave everyone the usual Gallic shrug.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - Skoda
>> One of infamous rod through the side of the block problems I think. Scary experience

That's how my first car died. Lane 3 of the M8 thankfully late at night. Was trying to overtake something (laughable attempting that, my car was a 1.1 (i think) L-reg Fiesta) and no matter how much i pushed the throttle the speed was dropping 60... 59... while making a labouring noise too.

Thankfully had realised something was wrong and was just about to get on the hard shoulder when BANG! I couldn't see my hands on the wheel. The oil smoke must have come in through the ventilation.

New set of underwear and car-less for a while :-) I'm glad my first car had character (it would stall and the brushes in the starter were worn, but i had a hammer in the door pocket to get it started at each traffic light). I'm not glad that was only one of a few could-have-been-bad moments where it let go (all electrics gone in a pea-souper at a busy junction outside aitkenhead road police office in Glasgow).

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - bathtub tom
I was responsible for leaving a long 'S' shaped gouge in the surface of the inside, northbound lane and hard shoulder of the M6, just south of Corley services.

A wheel fell off the caravan!

It was visible for years, until they re-surfaced.

My father dropped a tin of paint when getting off the bus. The paint lasted on the pavement for 20 years until it was resurfaced. It lasted less than two on the wooden window frames before flaking off

>>I was responsible for leaving a long 'S' shaped gouge in the surface ...A wheel fell off the cara
I was responsible for a long gouge in a Spanish motorway.
I was in a Jaguar XJ12 Coupe towing a very small trailer when a tyre went.
With all that power I was totally unaware of the event or the mudguard jaming the wheel thus stopping the wheel rotating and that lead to grinding the rim off.
A long story but we had no spare wheel and the whole saga finished with the trailer being stolen.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - Dave_
>> was responsible for leaving a long 'S' shaped gouge in the surface of ... the M6, just south of Corley services

Likewise, about 10 miles further north. Had the nearside rear wheels of a 7.5t Ford Cargo part company with the hub, just by the 2nd triangular hardshoulder extension on the elevated section dead opposite Fort Dunlop shopping centre in 1995. Left a visible gouge until resurfacing in 2009. I caused Lane 1 to be closed from 9am-3pm, and the whole motorway to be shut from J5-J6 whilst they towed me off backwards (all the towtrucks were at a bigger incident at J15, and the American rig they sent to recover me was too long to make a U-turn on the elevated carriageway, hence the backward tow down to J5).
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi {P} on Mon 2 May 11 at 22:08

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - BobbyG
Skoda, my first ever car also died on the outside lane of the M8 ! A mark 2 Escort, just at the junction before the M73 junction.

Had to walk up the sliproad and go into a very rough spit'n'sawdust pub to use their phone! Felt safer playing tig on the motorway!

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - Ted

Got the Jowett out today and, with my bike mate in his 2CV, complete with wives, went to a small informal classic show about 20 miles away.

Some nice motors in the line up of about 30. A couple of Mk3 Zodiac/Zephyrs, a good few Austin Sevens and side valve Fords. There was a huge Yank ragtop, about 1970s, owner used it daily and was letting the kids into it to have a sit and toot the horn. A sharp contrast to the car next to me...a white Mini Clubman, 1972, with a sign on the screen forbidding anyone to touch or lean on it.
Some nice ' ordinary ' pre war stuff, a couple of P6s and a nice Stag.
Lineup let down by a 1989 Golf, A 93 Astravan and a 1990 Mini 850....must be classics in their owner's eyes, I expect.

It was a village ' community day ' and was very well attended, with a fair, brass band and lots of stalls...mostly charities after donations, though.
Had a Hog roast sandwich and a rather nice bottle of red for lunch at one of the local bistros.
Lovely day, but the windchill spoilt it a little. SWM won a small fluffy elephant for littlist grandson.

All in all, a good day out.

Ted

I read that first as 'illicit' grandson... ;-)

Cars from the 70s, 80s and 90s over here are now known as 'youngtimers' and sometimes have a special section at shows. I even saw a magazine the other day called Youngtimer.
Reassuring to know that even my daily driver has classic status.

>> Reassuring to know that even my daily driver has classic status.

Goodness. Perhaps mine has too. The French quite enjoy garish Americana.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - Harleyman
There was a huge Yank ragtop,
>> about 1970s, owner used it daily and was letting the kids into it to have
>> a sit and toot the horn. A sharp contrast to the car next to me...a
>> white Mini Clubman, 1972, with a sign on the screen forbidding anyone to touch or
>> lean on it.

That bugs me too Ted; on the odd occasions I take the pick-up to shows, I actually encourage people to look inside the cab and under the bonnet. It's all part of the fun, and the kids love it.

There's a chap with a pristine Stag who does the local shows, actually puts a little picket fence round the car. I try to park next to him if I can, and watch his expression of horror and disgust, as if he thinks some of my rust and faded paint will infect his pride and joy!

Near Esher, an immaculate C reg Bedford flat back coal merchants lorry.
A few sacks of coal on the back. I am unsure if it was working lorry of on its way back from a show.l

>>The French quite enjoy garish Americana<<

Yes, there are loads of PT Cruisers around here. I quite like the notion and the style and might have considered one but I drove my friend's some years ago and didn't like the autobox.
There's even a PT Cruiser convertible for sale near me - saw it in the paper yesterday. Now that really is going a bit too far.

Henry, if you go to Portugal you can see loads of Bedford coal or veg delivery lorries still at work. Made me feel quite young again...

>> I drove my friend's some years ago and didn't like the autobox.

The auto is a notorious slug MH. But the manual is all right, even the old 2 litre one. Don't fancy the convertible at all though (or most convertibles come to that).

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - Harleyman
I fancied one for a while, but they're prodiguously thirsty. Love the concept though, and they are surprisingly spacious inside.

>> I fancied one for a while, but they're prodiguously thirsty.

If you mean Cruisers, Harleyman, 'prodigiously' is putting it a bit strongly. But my (manual) one isn't quite as frugal as a heavyish modern European 2 litre. Does about 25-28 mpg in London, lower thirties here in Sussex with many ten-mile round trips from cold, same at a brisk motorway cruise, upper 30s mimsing on cruise control at 60ish on French A roads. 2001 model, K&N air filter, no modifications, mileage 78,000 I think.

It isn't huge inside but as you say fairly roomy. Grey leather and suede seats, everything works, a pleasant environment but not a very rapid machine although it can keep up, no handling vices I've noticed and good road manners. A bit lumbering in the twisties but of course can leave mimsers for dead. Going to need some suspension rubbers soon. It drives OK but getting a tiny bit rattly at the back end, annoying in our savagely potholed drive.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 5 May 11 at 00:28

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - DP
A colleague has a PT Cruiser with the Mercedes diesel engine.

Mechanically it's bulletproof, but it seems to eat suspension bushes with the kind of frequency I haven't seen since an 80's Ford. He reckons he's had every bit of rubber in the suspension replaced at least twice in 95,000 miles.

Cool looking car though, and as AC says, pretty roomy inside. I quite like it.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - Avant
I think a Scottish-registered Smart seen today in Russell Square, central London, counts as fairly unusual. Some intrepid pioneer must have driven it all the way...or I suppose it could have been couriered on the back of a lorry.

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - Runfer D'Hills
Or smuggled in a large sporran.

didnt he have that round his chin?

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - sooty123
A couple of years ago I saw a mid 80's two door Ford Escort on Dutch plates in the middle of Iraq, I thought was pretty unusual. I wonder how it got out there, or why they choose an escort?

Would you go to Iraq without an Escort ?

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - sooty123
I was the escort!

;-)
Last edited by: sooty123 on Thu 5 May 11 at 01:29

Unusual Sightings - Volume 9 - -
Delightful Singer Vogue estate in Derby today, bottle green, in good condition and looked to be a daily driver....that must have been rare new, i had the Super Minx estate which wasn't exactly common.

>> Singer Vogue estate

I chopped in my knackered 30,000 mile Dyane for a clean, dark blue one of those with the intention of minicabbing it. And that's what I did.

Can't remember its mileage when I got it but it was a nice example for which I paid top dollar. It was a quite nice motor with good wet-road handling on crossply tyres, but two three-month sessions minicabbing energetically in London aged it considerably.

The estate had a lower back axle ratio than the saloon and really needed the optional overdrive, which mine didn't have. It had chromed cylinder bores which the Hillman 1725 unit didn't have, but in the end it broke some piston rings, no doubt through my abuse, over-revving or something, and that was it for me anyway.

Latest Forum Posts