Motoring Discussion > Honda CR-V III - 12 Months on assesment. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 28

Honda CR-V III - 12 Months on assesment. - R.P.
As regulars will know I bought this bike in the depths of the credit crunch - the price I got it for was a good one at a time when Honda had shut up shop in Swindon. Twelve months on the car just carries on - the funny bits I don't like (silly switchgear) I live with but other than that it has been a thoroughly dependable workhorse - with over 20k in twelve months all its had done is a set of tyres (faithfully rotated so they all wore out at the same time !) and half a pint of oil. Other than that nothing.

Fuel consumption is around 42 MPG but deteriorated markedly during the cold spell - but its back to pre-winter levels now.

No rattles or shakes can be a pleasure to drive, smooth engine is not exactly creamy smooth but it is easily lived with.

Good car.
 Honda CR-V III - 12 Months on assesment. - BobbyG
Bike??? :)
 Honda CR-V III - 12 Months on assesment. - Redfire
This is good to know as I am picking up my new one tomorrow morning after a 3 month wait. I guess with that MPG it is the diesel version you have?
 Honda CR-V III - 12 Months on assesment. - ....
PU,

Reading the above looks like an end of term test.
Is there going to be new metal to fill the space ?
Its a car sorry - hope to get my edit button back soon !
Sadly I'll keep it for a while yet - can't justify the swap and I bought into the 5 yers service thing :-(
 Honda CR-V III - 12 Months on assesment. - Bill Payer
I'm certainly keen to try the auto diesel version. I'm looking for quiet and effortless cruising.

New VW Touareg (later in the year) has had very good initial write ups, but it's a size bigger and I don't need that.
>> Sadly I'll keep it for a while yet - can't justify the swap and I
>> bought into the 5 yers service thing :-(
>>

Never say never.

We're into post-scrappage now, PSA have announced 13 days suspended production over the next three months, Toyota have a scheduled temporary shutdown next week.

I'm sure others will follow so you may well get an offer you can't refuse on your Honda.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 26 Mar 10 at 16:18
My next car will be a petrol BMW I think ----
Will that be FWD ? :)
Natürlich ;-)
Last edited by: Pugugly on Fri 26 Mar 10 at 16:23
 Honda CR-V III - 12 Months on assesment. - BobbyG
Well when they are offering you 10k for your CRV trade in, give me a shout .... :)
 Honda CR-V III - 12 Months on assesment. - rtj70
FWD... I assume you read that as Four Wheel Drive and not Front Wheel Drive!

I bet you get something like and X6 next. Saw two in the lake district the other week. Kind of works. Also saw a new 5-Series GT. Not sure about that one.
 Honda CR-V III - 12 Months on assesment. - Runfer D'Hills
I know you chose and bought your Honda PU so my situation is different as I was "given" my Qashqai. For some dreadfully ungrateful, inexplicable and petulant reason I didn't want to like it at first but I do, very much. The genre of car, like your CRV is just very useful to me. Maybe I'm getting old.......
Self confessed mimser in the Honda - saves diesel and tyres ! But I'll drive my friend's MX5 like it should with a big silly grin on my boat race ! Never too old....
www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/new_car_reviews/article6990289.ece

Good write up on the CRV Diesel Auto
 Honda CR-V III - 12 Months on assesment. - Bill Payer
Interesting, thanks. I wouldn't have thought about the BMW X1 as an alternative, though!
Had a sit in one when they were launched - a little cramped for me sadly - especially after the mobile cavern that the CRV presents.
I seem to have seen a few X1s these past couple of weeks. Probably a fine car but I struggle to imagine why anyone might want or need one. I wonder who BMW were targetting ?
People who don't know which wheels drive it - lifestyle accessory I fear - I haven't noticed any myself but I've probably missed them !
As I said before, it's probably a fine bit of kit but it strikes me as a Cheshire cocktail party car.

" what are you driving these days then our Darren ? "
" BMW 4x4 Uncle Wayne "
" Fine cars them X5s our lad "
" um....it's not the X5 actually....."
" ...oh an X3 is it son ? Your Auntie Beryl 'ad one o' them until it were nicked outside Old Trafford "
" er no....it's an X1..."
" where are you working now lad ?.....goin' alright is it ? "
It occured to me - friend's dad is looking to buy one though - I'm eyeing up his 18 month old 325 petrol - so I'll encourage him to buy one !
 Honda CR-V III - 12 Months on assesment. - Avant
Honda's pricing is on the wrong side of optimistic if a BMW is seen to be good value in comparison.

Interesting Andrew Frankel (one of the really good motoring journos) rates the CRV highly but not the auto box. After my experience of a Mercedes B-class it weould take a lot to get me into another 4-cylinder diesel automatic.

Your 42 mpg, PU, suggests that yours is a manual. (By the way, good to see you back with a magic wand!)
Last edited by: Avant on Sat 27 Mar 10 at 23:25
Yep they were all manuals in them days. I agree with the pricing - I wouldn't pay that much, mine was a right bargain off the showroom floor - It looked a bit like a fire-sale at the time but the dealer is still there. Something he said to me suggested desperate times.
 Honda CR-V III - 12 Months on assesment. - Londoner
>> After my experience of a Mercedes B-class it weould take a
>> lot to get me into another 4-cylinder diesel automatic.
Tip: Try the six-speed auto that BMW puts into its 4 cylinder diesels then.
Old-fashioned planetary type. Manual override.

Very smooth changes, no hesitation in pulling out of junctions, excellent fuel economy, seamless power from 1500 rpm to 4500 rpm. (Has a great engine to work with, mind).

Honda CR-V III - 12 Months on assessment. - Avant
Good point - I ought to try one. But would I be thinking 'if only it was a 330d....'
 Honda CR-V III - 12 Months on assessment. - R.P.
Don't even go there !
 Honda CR-V III - 12 Months on assessment. - Auntie Lockbrakes
I interpret the X1 as being the replacement for the X3. The next-gen X3 will be bigger, probably too big for me. I can't really justify the 35sd engine in mine anyway ;-) And Hey, the X1 is quite reasonably priced compared with the X3, maybe that's why it's finding buyers?
 Honda CR-V III - 12 Months on assessment. - Londoner
Saw an X1 in the flesh the other day, and it looked way better than how it looks in pictures.

I'll seriously have to consider this car as I definitely want 4WD next time, and there aren't many that don't require you to have an oil well in the back garden in order to keep them running!
Latest Forum Posts