Motoring Discussion > Method of holding battery in place Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 26

Method of holding battery in place - L'escargot
Yonks ago, car batteries were securely held in place by metal clamps. I've just seen mine (for the first time in eight years when it needed a new battery and the cover had to be removed ) and it just sits in the tray with just has a loosely fitting nylon strap over the top to prevent it from jumping out of the tray in the case of a collision.
 Method of holding battery in place - rtj70
But in eight years the nylon strap has worked and you've not noticed any problems.
 Method of holding battery in place - devonite
my mate sticks his down with slicone sealant! - must admit it don`t half get hold!!!
 Method of holding battery in place - Skoda
Is it not sitting inside a box though? I think the new approach is to put them in acid proof boxes that are designed not to tear or shatter in a collision.
 Method of holding battery in place - devonite
mates is just a platform, that had a metal clamp on it, but it was too much like work having to keep looking for a spanner to undo it every other week, easier to rip it out then re-stick it!
Suppose it kinda makes sense when your fitting £5 ones from the scrappie rather than buy (god forbid!!) a new one, or a charger!
>> mates is just a platform, that had a metal clamp on it, but it was
>> too much like work having to keep looking for a spanner to undo it every
>> other week, ..........

Why would he want to do that?
>> Is it not sitting inside a box though? I think the new approach is to
>> put them in acid proof boxes that are designed not to tear or shatter in
>> a collision.
>>

It has a cover over it, but I doubt whether it would significantly aid it's retention.
 Method of holding battery in place - Kithmo
IIRC the first Mondeo I had, a 1995 Mk1, had a nylon strap with a bolt through the end of it.
>> IIRC the first Mondeo I had, a 1995 Mk1, had a nylon strap with a
>> bolt through the end of it.
>>

That's it. Same as my 2003 MkI Foccus.
 Method of holding battery in place - crocks
When I replaced the (original) battery on my 1999 Focus last year it had a similar nylon strap.
I was surprised at how tight and effective it was.

Method of holding battery in place - Cliff Pope
I've had an old car where the battery just sat in a box, and was presumably simply restrained by the leads if the car turned over.
Mostly they had a metal bar with a wing nut on a long roofing bolt at each end.
The best is the Volvo, which has a quick-release plastic clamp on the wide section at the base of the battery, thoughtfully attached to a bit of cord so that it can't be lost when unclipped.

The worst kind is a triangular metal locking plate with a bolt into a captive nut. The nut is always corroded tight or the cage broken, and the bolt head rounded off.
>> When I replaced the (original) battery on my 1999 Focus last year it had a
>> similar nylon strap.
>> I was surprised at how tight and effective it was.

Unfortunately, although the battery is a Ford, It's not the same as the original ~ it's a heavy duty one which is wider but is smaller back to front. This means that the strap is loose. The battery doesn't move under a manual load but I'm going to keep an eye on it. The technician who fitted it said that the strap was a safety measure in case of a collision, and was not intended as the primary means of securing the battery. I hope he's right.
 Method of holding battery in place - bathtub tom
I certainly wouldn't want a battery that wasn't securely clamped. Day to day use would mean it's moving around a little causing possible problems with abrasion to the casing and perhaps making the connections work loose.

Isn't it also an MOT failure?
 Method of holding battery in place - Clk Sec
I definitely wouldn't have a battery that couldn't be properly secured. It's a dangerously heavy item - not to mention its contents.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Sat 30 Apr 11 at 10:27
 Method of holding battery in place - Bellboy
its farcial for a 'technician'? to say the strap isnt important
maybe ask someone who knows something about cars rather than a hopeless fast fitter of bits who only knows what his master has taught him and has had all his other brain cells leached

as said a floating battery is a dangerous battery and it wont do it any good slip sliding around anyway and is a good source for a vehicle fire
mot failure? not till january 12 but it should be a failure now
stick some 2x1 under it if you are struggling
>> its farcial for a 'technician'? to say the strap isnt important
>> maybe ask someone who knows something about cars rather than a hopeless fast fitter of
>> bits who only knows what his master has taught him and has had all his
>> other brain cells leached
>>
>> as said a floating battery is a dangerous battery and it wont do it any
>> good slip sliding around anyway and is a good source for a vehicle fire
>> mot failure? not till january 12 but it should be a failure now
>> stick some 2x1 under it if you are struggling
>>

It was fitted by a Ford dealer technician under the watchful eye of the Service Advisor. It's secured at the bottom by a substantial plastic part which is bolted to the tray. The battery doesn't move when pushed/pulled by hand. The explanation about the strap over the top seems reasonable. I wasn't aware of the full facts when I wrote my original post.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 30 Apr 11 at 14:14
 Method of holding battery in place - bathtub tom
L'es.

Your first post said: it just sits in the tray with just has a loosely fitting nylon strap over the top

You now say: It's secured at the bottom by a substantial plastic part which is bolted to the tray. The battery doesn't move when pushed/pulled by hand

Puts a different complexion on it.
>> L'es.
>> Puts a different complexion on it.

A bum steer, no less...
>> L'es.
>>
>> Your first post said: it just sits in the tray with just has a loosely
>> fitting nylon strap over the top

>>
>> You now say: It's secured at the bottom by a substantial plastic part which is
>> bolted to the tray. The battery doesn't move when pushed/pulled by hand

>>
>> Puts a different complexion on it.
>>

"I wasn't aware of the full facts when I wrote my original post." At that time I'd merely removed the cover (with the original battery in place) and had had a little fiddle with the strap. It was before I'd had a new battery fitted. I'm not perfect! Guilty as charged! At least I've owned up to my inadequacies. Some members talk a load of twaddle and never admit it!

Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 30 Apr 11 at 16:41
 Method of holding battery in place - corax
The replacement battery in my previous BMW was slightly lower than the original, so I put some solid rubber packing pieces under the strap to secure it. The real problem was heaving the 74A brute into the low floor space in the boot without doing my back in.
>> The replacement battery in my previous BMW was slightly lower than the original, so I
>> put some solid rubber packing pieces under the strap to secure it.

Good idea corax. I'll try the same.
 Method of holding battery in place - DP
I don't understand manufacturers sometimes. The good old fashioned 2" square bit of metal with two creases in it, that clamps over the lip on the bottom edge of the battery, and the accompanying common or garden M10 bolt to secure it to the battery tray is cheap, simple, effective, and has worked well for decades without the need for straps or other accompanying nonsense.
You could potentially argue that the battery might leak and the acid could degrade the bolt head, but really does this ever happen?
Last edited by: DP on Sun 1 May 11 at 19:38
It perhaps became too difficult to assemble now that there is less room under the bonnet in which to work.
 Method of holding battery in place - Zero
Given that its one of these things that now seems to need to be changed once every 8 years, does how the battery is fixed really matter as long as it stays there.
>> It perhaps became too difficult to assemble now that there is less room under the
>> bonnet in which to work.
>>

I mean too difficult on the assembly line.
>> I mean too difficult on the assembly line.

I doubt that.
 Method of holding battery in place - sooty123
Probably cheaper, even if it's just £1 it all adds up. Having a strap's hardly complicated it's pretty simple and effective as well, so why not go with the cheaper option?
Latest Forum Posts