Motoring Discussion > Worn wiper blades already and wash/wipe problem? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 22

Worn wiper blades already and wash/wipe problem? - RattleandSmoke
Every time I use my wipers they leave a scrape mark on my windscreen, I did rinse them which didn't seem to help but I will clean them properly tomorrow to see if makes a difference. Do they just need a proper clean or are they just cheap crap which only last 3180 miles? Would this be a warranty claim if they are worn? I do use the wash wipe a lot as I am always parked under trees (south Manchester is very leafy)

Also when I use my wash wipe the aim is so high that it misses most the windscreen and goes over the roof, this seems to have got worse recently but I would not expect to have to adjust the nozzles on such a new car, I assume this will be included free in the service?

Also when I take it I am going to get them to listen to the rattle on acceleration which I am really hoping is not a failing cat.
 Worn wiper blades already and wash/wipe problem? - Zero
>> Every time I use my wipers they leave a scrape mark on my windscreen, I
>> did rinse them which didn't seem to help but I will clean them properly tomorrow
>> to see if makes a difference. Do they just need a proper clean

Its not the wipers its some crap on the screen. Clean the screen properly

or are
>> they just cheap crap which only last 3180 miles? Would this be a warranty claim
>> if they are worn?

Its not a warranty claim, wipers are a consumable item

>> but I would not expect to have to adjust the nozzles on such a new
>> car, I assume this will be included free in the service?

Probably not

>>
>> Also when I take it I am going to get them to listen to the
>> rattle on acceleration which I am really hoping is not a failing cat.

Its not

>>
Thanks Zero, I will get out the Autoglym windscreen polish and do a proper job of it tomorrow. I keep meaning to wax it anyway and jobs just keep getting in the way.

Might do the nozzles myself then, I assume its just a matter of using a pin?

Worn wiper blades already and wash/wipe problem? - Armel Coussine
Don't use any sort of window polish or car polish on yr windscreen Ratto. Just water and soap or windscreen washer fluid.

To get the carp off the wiper blades, lift the blades off the screen and run a cloth with water and or soapy stuff along the edge of the blades. You will be surprised by the black line they make on the cloth. Do it a couple of times.

If they still leave curved lines on the screen after that, provided the screen itself is clean, they are due for a change.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 27 Apr 11 at 23:07
 Worn wiper blades already and wash/wipe problem? - Stuu
I have this rather funny image of a northern lad running around a street with his hands in the air screaming ' what shall I do, my screenwash has run out! '.

Chill out, its a bit of dirt, try keeping the car clean. If your washer jets are set wrong, change them, its so simple my wife could do it.
 Worn wiper blades already and wash/wipe problem? - Bromptonaut
Wiper life is not mileage related; they deteriorate over time due use and exposure to light and washer fluid.

Expect mine to last around a year but last set were knacked by using massive doses of meths in the wash bottle during the Xmas freeze up.
I might invest in a pair of Bosch blades. The car is always parked under trees and I get few a lot of screen wash.

I will try giving it a good clean first though. What is the best way to adjust the nozzles? I used a pin I think to do the Fiestas.
 Worn wiper blades already and wash/wipe problem? - rtj70
If the nozzles are adjustable then a pin is probably a good bet. Surprised that knowing the washers were missing the screen you didn't adjust them already.

In the warmer weather then water plus a bit of screen wash is probably fine.
It seems to be a recent problem, in fact I washed it using one of the jet washes at the garage (£1.50) to get all this sand/pollen/tree bits off it quickly but I am guessing the pressure was too great and misaligned them.

They were fine when I got there car.
 Worn wiper blades already and wash/wipe problem? - vitesse
I think it's done using a small screwdriver on the side of the nozzle

vitesse
I'll ask on the FIAT forums if I can't find the screw :). I don't mind sticking pins in old bangers but a bit wear on newer cars.
 Worn wiper blades already and wash/wipe problem? - L'escargot
>> I might invest in a pair of Bosch blades.

From my experience you do so at your peril. Genuine spares are the best.
 Worn wiper blades already and wash/wipe problem? - Skoda
Not sure if you've got some clay bar Rattle? If not, i'd recommend picking up some Bilt Hamber "Auto-Clay". It's ~£10 for a near lifetime supply with a Panda sized car.

After washing the windscreen, clay it to remove any minute bits of tree sap or whatever standing proud of the glass and it'll make a noticeable difference to the effectiveness of the wipers (assuming they're not duds).
 Worn wiper blades already and wash/wipe problem? - -
All the above is good, in addition if you wash the car with wash n wax try to keep the stuff off the screen/wipers and use non wax wash for those...i use the excellent Lidl's 1:100 screen wash in 500ml apple and lemon flavour...put a capful in your washer bottle as well, superb stuff and makes a good job of house windows.

It helps to 'park' the wiper blades leaning the other way now and again, they get set in a semi permanent lean otherwise and on up wipes don't flip over.
 Worn wiper blades already and wash/wipe problem? - AnotherJohnH
>> The car is always parked under trees....

That's most likely your problem:

bird poo dries on the screen and tears lumps out of blades as it sets hard and doesn't just wipe off.

little bits of tree debris get stuck under the blade and wear a knick out of the blade where the piece is lodged.

Take your pick from the above, and then start to clean the screen and clear the rubbish from around the wipers whenever it needs doing - can be every trip out.
 Worn wiper blades already and wash/wipe problem? - Stuartli
>>... in addition if you wash the car with wash n wax try to keep the stuff off the screen/wipers and use non wax wash for those..>>

I always use a straightforward car wash shampoo (ArmourAll at present) as it otherwise takes ages to get rid of the wax smearing on the windscreen and especially annoying at night if it's raining.

If necessary I do use AutoGlym bodywork conditioner afterwards on the lower half of the body, avoiding the roof area. Also needs rinsing off well afterwards otherwise (in our hard water area anyway) it leaves a streaky finish on the paintwork.
 Worn wiper blades already and wash/wipe problem? - Notdoctorchris
Front washers and wipers are often troublesome on Pandas, Rattle.
Don't go near the washer nozzles with a pin, however. What happens is that the nozzles are a separate part from the body of the washer mechanism. The nozzle part creeps out of the mechanism sideways and the outlets of the nozzles are obstructed. It happens more often in Winter, so maybe frozen water in the washers expands and pushes the nozzles out.
Anyway, get a small screwdriver and push the nozzles back into place from the side, trying not to twist or you will adjust them out of line. Adjusting them is really a 2 man job as you need someone to squirt and someone to adjust. The tiniest movement of the nozzle makes a huge difference as to where on the screen the water lands.
Panda wipers are not good. You will find reams of discussion on them on the forum. I find that, whichever brand you buy, you need to replace the wiper blades every year for them to work efficiently, no matter how clean you keep the screen.
 Worn wiper blades already and wash/wipe problem? - VxFan
>> you need to replace the wiper blades every year for them to work efficiently,

The wiper blades on my Vectra are coming up to 5 yrs old this July and have done 62,000 miles so far. Still work fine. Proba makes a difference that the car is garaged and therefore doesn't suffer weather abuse quite so much as a car left parked outside 24/7. EDIT - mind you, saying that, our previous works Transit Connect wipers lasted 3 yrs before they split.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 28 Apr 11 at 10:37
 Worn wiper blades already and wash/wipe problem? - Fullchat
Give the screen a final polish with newspaper and vinegar works a treat. Preferably not the newspaper you have had your greasy fish and chips in. ;-)
 Worn wiper blades already and wash/wipe problem? - Stuartli
>>Preferably not the newspaper you have had your greasy fish and chips in. ;-)>>

Not possible these days...:-)))))
 Worn wiper blades already and wash/wipe problem? - VxFan
>> Not possible these days...:-)))))

It's still the same paper they use, minus the ink, isn't it?
Sorted it now, the problem seems to have been caused by me making the last lot of screen wash too weak. I put a 30% mixture in once the weather turned nice, but the trees were still brown. I didn't take that into account.

I cleaned the wipers, cleaned the windscreen but that had little effect. I then used a 50/50 mix and cleaned the wipers again, now the screen wash washes streak free.

Worn wiper blades already and wash/wipe problem? - CGNorwich
"but the trees were still brown. I didn't take that into account."

Few do
Latest Forum Posts