Motoring Discussion > BMW - 6 Series Convertible. Too many gears?
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 22

BMW - 6 Series Convertible. Too many gears? - VxFan
Just watched last weeks episode of 5th Gear where VBH did a road test of the above car.

8 speed automatic gearbox!!!

Do cars really need that many gears?
 BMW - 6 Series Convertible. Too many gears? - Zero
no
 BMW - 6 Series Convertible. Too many gears? - Armel Coussine
No they don't. Nor do they need self-important, waddling old prats as owners. One got in my way for three or four miles yesterday on an A road, doing 40 when we were lucky.
 BMW - 6 Series Convertible. Too many gears? - Boxsterboy
Maybe they had a hairdo to preserve?
 BMW - 6 Series Convertible. Too many gears? - diddy1234
what's the point of more gears, you cant go any faster.

The only reason that I would think is that each gear has a narrower speed range for the engine revs so the car has quicker acceleration.

But then I think any owner would soon get miffed at changing gears so often.
If it's an 8 speed autobox, wont it be forever hunting between gears at say 30mph or 40mph ?

I think its more money than sense on BMW's part.

Why not have the least gears tailored correctly to the engines power and torque ?
It's not rocket science.

Maybe i really am getting old, so i will stop winging now.
sorry.
Last edited by: diddy1234 on Tue 10 May 11 at 13:34
 BMW - 6 Series Convertible. Too many gears? - Londoner
Who cars how many gears a car has got if it is an automatic - you don't have alll the hassle of changing gear anyway.

OK, I jest - but there is a need to have enough gears on the one hand so that you have an optimum gear available for your speed/load, and on the other you don't want too many gears so that you are forever "hunting" between them, and wearing out components with the frequent changes.

For some reason five or six gears strikes me as about right. Maybe some engineers have done a study of the subject?
 BMW - 6 Series Convertible. Too many gears? - Alanovich
Interesting, AC. I've often felt BMW to be the second most commonly mimsed marque after Honda.

Loads of retired types dawdling round my parts of the Home Counties in 5, 6 and 7 series motors. Some are even graduating to the SUV models, for shame.
 BMW - 6 Series Convertible. Too many gears? - Iffy
I remember asking a mate if his mountain bike needed 27 gears.

"No," he said. "But I have used every one."

BMW - 6 Series Convertible. Too many gears? - Dave_
>> I remember asking a mate if his mountain bike needed 27 gears.
>> "No," he said. "But I have used every one."

It used to be inadvisable to use the extreme crossover gears (innermost rear cog / outermost front and vice versa) as it could damage the chain.
 BMW - 6 Series Convertible. Too many gears? - WillDeBeest
Still is, I reckon: puts too much strain on the whole setup. With that and overlaps within the range, I think my 3x7 combination yields about 16 distinct, usable ratios. Humph can advise on how it should be done, but I find I do almost all my shifting with the rear set and shift the front set only when there's a radical change in surface or gradient.
 BMW - 6 Series Convertible. Too many gears? - Skoda
I think these are the new-ish autoboxes from ZF. Impressive kit.
 BMW - 6 Series Convertible. Too many gears? - Mike Hannon
Lots of ratios selected by electronics must be the cheapie construction option today I guess.
I believe the best autobox is a hydraulic one which has fewer ratios but is attached to a properly-designed and efficient torque converter. Presumably a lot more expensive to make though.
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Tue 10 May 11 at 14:33
 BMW - 6 Series Convertible. Too many gears? - oilburner
It's to do with having just the right ratio at just the right time. You don't get hunting through the gears any more than you do with a 5 or 6 speed auto when you're at a speed right between gears, and the advantages are that you can always be in either a perfect spot for acceleration (with kick down), or at the perfect spot for optimal cruising. Plus, because the jump from one gear to another is very small, the gear changes are super smooth.

What you will see is that a good 7 or 8 speed torque converter auto will be both quicker and more economical than a 5 or 6 speed manual. Having your cake and eating it! Assuming you want an auto, of course.

You could get the same, maybe better effects with an 8 speed manual box, but obviously it would be undriveable for 99% of people, myself included!
 BMW - 6 Series Convertible. Too many gears? - zippy
No.

But my 3 series needs a 3.5 gear, between 3rd and 4th for town driving as 3 is too low and 4 is too high for 30 mph.
 BMW - 6 Series Convertible. Too many gears? - J Bonington Jagworth
BMW's attempt at a CVT? American V8's used to make do with three...
 BMW - 6 Series Convertible. Too many gears? - -
One upmanship? Merc have their 7 speed box.

Must make for rattling conversations at the golf club.
 BMW - 6 Series Convertible. Too many gears? - Runfer D'Hills
Ooh you cynic you GB!

Probably scarily near the truth mind...
 BMW - 6 Series Convertible. Too many gears? - Dave_
The Lexus LS460 and IS-F have had an 8-speed auto since 2008.
 BMW - 6 Series Convertible. Too many gears? - Londoner
It gets worse (or better, depending on your viewpoint).

Mercedes are developing a 9 speed transmission!

tinyurl.com/3tnx22v
 BMW - 6 Series Convertible. Too many gears? - -
>> Mercedes are developing a 9 speed transmission!

For goodness sake, mine's bigger than yours syndrome.
 BMW - 6 Series Convertible. Too many gears? - Skoda
Fear not, ZF have a 9 speed auto in the works... but for FWD applications! Wonder how you fit that into a FWD gearbox.
 BMW - 6 Series Convertible. Too many gears? - Zero
when does tens of gears become CVT?
 BMW - 6 Series Convertible. Too many gears? - Harleyman
American V8's used to make do with three...
>>

.... or even two (Powerglide) in some cases.
Latest Forum Posts