Motoring Discussion > Day trip starting and finishing in NY Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 8

Day trip starting and finishing in NY - Runfer D'Hills
Going to New York in the morning. Business meetings all day Friday. Coming back Sunday. Soooo....have Saturday to kill. Could just go and do some sights. However, it's forecast to be 25C and sunny on Saturday there.

Could therefore (maybe) instead hire a convertible something and go for a drive. Anyone recommend a day trip starting and finishing in Manhattan?
 Day trip starting and finishing in NY - Zero
weeeeel Cap cod would be nice, but a longish drive - about 4- 5 hours there.

I would Strike out for Atlantic City - the boardwalk. about 2.5 hours away.
 Day trip starting and finishing in NY - R.P.
New Jersey turnpike.....if you're a S&G fan. I'd prefer to stay in the city and visit places like Grand Central Station, Statue of Liberty....etc etc.....but maybe you've done that before.
I read a book once which described somewhere called "The Hamptons" Sounded pleasant and within reach. I gather it's a bit of an olde worlde ( in American terms anyway ) holiday resort. Seafoody place I think. Anyone been or have a view?
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Wed 11 May 11 at 21:08
 Day trip starting and finishing in NY - Zero
Nice destination, possibly a nasty drive if the weather is good, its only about 80 miles but about two hours.

The hamptons are Southhampton, east hampton at the end of long island.
 Day trip starting and finishing in NY - R.P.
Avoid Albany - the most horridly sterile place in the States and then some.
Mmm Long Island sounds like a possible plan. Just have to see about a suitable set of wheels....Got the Ray-Bans already so more or less sorted really.

:-)
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Wed 11 May 11 at 21:20
 Day trip starting and finishing in NY - Skoda
There's a place called New Paltz, it's north, the route roughly follows the Hudson, although miles to the side of it. You can take a highway all the way there, around 2.5 hours but dull, or you can take the highway as far a schunnan (sp?) mountain then head right towards the Hudson. Turn left and follow the route north.

There's lots of drab and boring but there's enough varied towns you'd probably find something that appeals. If you don't youll end up in New Paltz and it has a few attractions (signposted too). If you made it that far, the gilded otter would be a good reward for a starved tum.

I'd rate this idea 5 out of 10, there's better places to go :-)
5/10 ?

Ooooh Kay...

:-)
Latest Forum Posts