Motoring Discussion > Senna Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 24

Senna - CGNorwich
The film is on general release as from today. Good reviews

www.sennamovie.co.uk/
 Senna - Manatee
Just arranged with motorsport enthusiast pal and respective SWMBOs to go and see this on Sunday. Very much looking forward to it.
 Senna - Zero
Let us have a review then, Nicole wants to see it, but I am not convinced - happy to be pursuaded tho.
 Senna - Manatee
Will do.

Prost, in the trailer for the film -

"Ayrton 'as a small problem - 'e thinks that 'e can't kill 'imself".

www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/12/16/senna-the-ayrton-senna-movie-reviewed/

edit - the original link posted by CGN has only just opened on my slow connection - the trailer is there as well.
Last edited by: Manatee on Fri 3 Jun 11 at 20:23
 Senna - Alastairw
Its on quite limited release isn't it? I wanted to see TT3D a few weeks back, but couldn't find a convenient screening for the same reason.
 Senna - nick1975
He's now so overrated. Good looking and died young, but seriously he was only a man at the end of the day
 Senna - Londoner
>> He's now so overrated. Good looking and died young, but seriously he was only a
>> man at the end of the day
>>
Well, Yes, if you want to look at it like that .....
and a violin is only catgut and wood.
A car is only bits of metal, plastic and leather stuck together.
A home is only bricks and mortar with some furnishings.
 Senna - Zero
I also feel he has been a little over hyped since his death, and I hope the film doesn't venerate him, for he was after all not unprepared to play the cad. Still I suppose 3 WDC in 10 years in F1 is not to be discredited, although he had a vastly superior car at one point. Would have liked to have seen him head to head with schumacher.
 Senna - rtj70
>> Still I suppose 3 WDC in 10 years in F1 is not to be discredited

Racing cars needed more skills back then too. As we all know. Car designers have made it easier for them. And us normal drivers too.
 Senna - BiggerBadderDave
"Would have liked to have seen him head to head with schumacher."

Schumacher never had a pole until Senna died. Senna would have won in 94, after all, Damon Hill very nearly did in the same car.
 Senna - nick1975
Re reading sounds a bit harsh.

Fair play, top ten drivers ever, I accept/don't care, whatever

What annoys me is the media adulation beyond that

Even non motoring folk hold him in some kind of special sentiment, disproportionate from reality.

Just the same wth barca fc being the best team ever.

Just because some people say it, doesn't make it so!

Senna - Mike Hannon
The other day my son send me a link to a Youtube clip of Senna in a late 80s petrol ad, driving a Legend coupe just like mine.
I never liked him much but that made me feel quite young again.
 Senna - Manatee
Having just seen this film, I'd say it is required viewing for any F1 follower.

Much of the film speaks for itself, with contemporary commentary and observation, often with subtitles. There's a lot of footage that wouldn't have been seen at the time, including pre-race drivers' briefings. There's input from Syd Watkins, who was close to Senna.

It didn't really change my opinion of Senna, which was that he was the best of his cohort. Whether he was a better driver than Jim Clark is moot. As for Schumacher - well, as my pal remarked, Senna really started what Schumacher finished in terms of his aggression on the track, which as with Schumacher detracts a little from his talent.

The relationship with Prost is well covered.

There's some terrific on-car camera footage. Much of it is far from HD quality, but that doesn't matter. SWMBO, not an F1 fan, enjoyed it very much as well.

Senna - Zero
Thanks M.

Looks like Nicole and I have a trip to the Kino booked.

Senna - BiggerBadderDave
No back-row hanky panky please. Get a hotel.
 Senna - Zero
We'll drive home via one of the local dogging spots.
 Senna - BiggerBadderDave
You might finally get to meet Iffy.
 Senna - WillDeBeest
Would have liked to have seen him head to head with Schumacher.

The statistics may not bear this out but my impression at the time was that it was Schumacher's arrival on the scene that drove Senna into taking the extra risks that eventually killed him.

I'd been out all day, heard about his death on the midnight news and somehow wasn't surprised. There was something tragic about it in the true sense - his death seemed to be the inevitable product of his competitive character and huge self-belief with the circumstances of that year and the arrival of a new threat in Schumacher.
 Senna - bathtub tom
>>The statistics may not bear this out but my impression at the time was that it was Schumacher's arrival on the scene that drove Senna into taking the extra risks that eventually killed him.

Exactly my thoughts at the time.
 Senna - IJWS14
Just finished reading one of the many books about him. Opinions differ about him as a man, as a driver he was head and shoulders above the rest.

There is a description of him driving an indy car for the first time, pedals and seat set up for Fittipaldi, not him (Tells the crew not to bother adjusting), after 3-4 laps Senna was quicker than Fittipaldi. When getting out he spends 30 minutes telling the crew chief what could be done to improve the car - the crew chief's comment later was "none of our drivers have ever been able to do that!"

Don't think I will get to the cinema, will have to wait for DVD.
 Senna - Manatee
>> The statistics may not bear this out but my impression at the time was that
>> it was Schumacher's arrival on the scene that drove Senna into taking the extra risks
>> that eventually killed him.

Not really IMO. Did Senna change his style that year? Remember also that other drivers said at the time that Tamburello was not a corner you would expect a car without a problem to crash on - it looked like a car or tyre problem, not a driver problem.

As for the Schumacher threat - Senna was probably more fixed (as were others) on the suspicions of Bennetton using illegal traction control than on Schumacher.
 Senna - Rudedog
Schumacher who was winning races with his old Cosworth V8 when driving against the more powerful V10s of the time, people seem to forget that Senna would do anything to win and has be quoted that he would have no qualms running an opponent off the road to win (which he did to Prost at Suzuka in 1990).
 Senna - Manatee
>>Schumacher who was winning races with his old Cosworth V8

and illegal traction control - allegedly. And not in 1990.

There was a quite a bit more to the 1990 Suzuka incident. The story here

goo.gl/sOgqz

in regard to Suzuka 1989 isn't complete - Senna, having been run off the road by Prost, rejoined the circuit from the escape road, pitted for a new nose, and went on to win the race - only to be disqualified for not having passed through the chicane. This was a clear nonsense as it would imply that anybody who missed the chicane would have to backtrack which of course never happened. (you can find this in the Wikipedia link below)

In the video in the link above, in the 1990 Suzuka driver's briefing Piquet seeks clarification that this backtracking would not be required, and gets it, making a nonsense of Senna's disqualification the previous year.

And then - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayrton_Senna

"A year later, after taking his third world championship, Senna explained to the press his actions of the previous year [1990] in Suzuka. He maintained that prior to qualifying fastest, he had sought and received assurances from race officials that pole position would be changed to the left-hand, clean side of the track, only to find this decision reversed by Jean-Marie Balestre after he had taken pole. Explaining the collision with Prost, Senna said that what he had wanted was to make it clear that he was not going to accept what he perceived as unfair decision making by Balestre, including his disqualification in 1989 and the pole position in 1990. Prost would later go on record slamming Senna's actions as "disgusting" and that he seriously considered retiring from the sport after that incident."

Suzuka 1990 clearly wasn't Senna's finest hour, but put the above together with the fact that the 1990 championship depended on the race result it becomes easier to understand.

Schumacher presumably watched, and learned.

Senna - Zero

>> Schumacher presumably watched, and learned.

Learned the lesson well. Which is why the death of Senna deprived us of, well that is the point. We wont ever know how that battle would have developed.

Senna - Hard Cheese

>>We wont ever know how that battle would have developed.
>>

I think it is fair to say that Senna was under threat from Schumacher, Senna was on pole for the first to races though Schumacher had won them both, Senna took pole again at Imola and was being pressurised by Schumacher at the point that he tragicaly crashed.

Subsequently Hill did well to take the fight to Schumacher and, yes, Schumacher's actions in Australia were questionable (though nothing that Senna would not have done) however it has to be remembered that Schumacher was totally unreasonably disqualified from the British GP and the Belgian GP and subsequently excluded from two more races, he no doubt deserved the championship that year having had to fight the authorities as well as the other drivers.

Had Senna not tragically died at Imola and had Schumacher not been treated unfairly by the authorities then I reckon Schumacher would have still prevailed.

Latest Forum Posts