Motoring Discussion > Bid anyone? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 14

Bid anyone? - Pat
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lincolnshire/8593051.stm

Pat
 Bid anyone? - Ted

Delightful, Pat. Should be a relatively easy restoration. Essential not to overdo it though.
Go halves with me ?

Ted
 Bid anyone? - Zero
Push it in the nearest dyke.
 Bid anyone? - madf
I drove one once.. about 40 years ago.

Carp then and carp now.
 Bid anyone? - Armel Coussine
>> Carp then and carp now.

But not quite so bad 81 years ago when it was made.

Fabric bodies, rare even when I was a child, are lightweight and easy to repair. I never liked them but I can see the appeal. As for a big old Austin four, I guess it must have its own sort of charm. Most cars do.

I agree with Pat and Ted on this one, not these abrasive philistines. Might fetch slightly silly money at auction though. I would love it if you did it.
 Bid anyone? - Mike Hannon
Acquaintance of mine in the funeral carriage business restored one of these himself years Ago and it's still pottering on. Once the job's done properly it will outlast the rest of us. my pal used to impress me by wearing a maroon blazer with grey slacks and a grey bowler to match the car. I've tried to emulate him but I can't carry it off.
 Bid anyone? - L'escargot
>> Push it in the nearest dyke.
>>

It's people like you that flytip rubbish and spoil our beautiful countryside.
 Bid anyone? - Pat
??????

You really don't do mornings, do you:)

Pat
 Bid anyone? - SteelSpark
According to it's Wikipedia page

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_12/4

The 12/4 was built from '33 until '39, but the BBC article states that the car was built in '29, I wonder which is correct?

Does anybody care to guess how much it might go for?
 Bid anyone? - RattleandSmoke
I may by it instead of the Panda. I find it amazing that the engine still works if its not been run for ages. I also find amazing that I have a grandfarther still living that is ten years older than this car (well almost).
 Bid anyone? - Zero
it turns over. thats not the same as "runs" It just means its not siezed solid
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 30 Mar 10 at 22:55
 Bid anyone? - crocks
>> it turns over. thats not the same as "runs" It just means its not siezed solid.

Yes, and turning it over after all this time won't be doing the bearings any good.

Bid anyone? - Cliff Pope
>> >>
>> Yes and turning it over after all this time won't be doing the bearings any
>> good.
>>
>>
>>

You have missed the point that it has a fixed starting handle. These are irresistable to anybody who happens to pass by, so the engine has probably been kept in fine shape by being turned once in a while during the past 81 years.

I remember reading about a restored vintage tractor that had spent years in a children's adventure park. Dozens of children had regularly turned the engine, so it and the gears were well lubricated and in perfect condition.
 Bid anyone? - MD
Four and Tuppence halfpenny:o)
 Bid anyone? - L'escargot
>> According to it's Wikipedia page
>>
>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_12/4
>>

It's more like this. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_12_hp
Latest Forum Posts