Motoring Discussion > New French speed limits for caravans Legal Questions
Thread Author: Telb Replies: 5

New French speed limits for caravans - Telb
Anyone thinking of taking their caravan or motorhome to France this year should be aware of this:

tinyurl.com/ye6vdcq

Frankly, I think it would be foolhardy to tow any faster anyway, but getting the stickers might be a good idea. You can bet that the French police WILL start being bothered when swarms of UK caravans start rolling off the ferries without them.

Terry
 New French speed limits for caravans - smokie
I'm not sure these are new, but from memory they are considerably quicker than the UK equivalents. When I was towing it was 50mph on a single and 60 on a dual/motorway, and not allowed in lane 3 when towing. 130kph is sopmewhere around 80mph isn't it? Even when I used to tow with a 3.0 Omega that was about the highest I'd go to (except when I got a snake on when cruising at 80, then I'd boot it to pull it out of it...)
 New French speed limits for caravans - Mike Hannon
Seems to be the same as for ordinary cars. So the pinheaded nutters will be towing at 80mph. Wonderful. Of course the Dutch, in particular, never seem to have done anything else.
Sigh.
 New French speed limits for caravans - Bromptonaut
>> Of course the Dutch in particular never seem to have done
>> anything else.
>> Sigh.

And towing massive caravans with small Volvos.
 New French speed limits for caravans - Dieselfitter
Ah - but the scary part is the regulation for gross train weight above 3.5 tonnes and the Caravan Club's interpretation of how this is calculated, i.e. the max permitted gross weight of the towing vehicle plus it's towing limit. Not it's actual weight and the weight of what it is actually towing. Their example of a Honda CRV is well over the limit. This dramatically reduces the speed limit to 56mph on motorways. I rather hope they are interpreting the regs incorrectly.....
 New French speed limits for caravans - Dave
What happened to the 'European harmonisation' as discussed in the trailer width thread?

So a little car towing a big caravan is allowed to do 130kph, but a big car towing a smaller trailer is stuck at the lower limit. Yeah, that makes sense.

And with so many sticker on the back showing speeds it kind of defeats the object. You now see trucks with 50, 60, 70, 80 and 90 stickers. Throw in the different limits in Germany, depending on whether or not the trailer has the TUV approval for higher speeds, and it's a right dogs dinner. In Germany for instance, a regular trailer is limited to 80, but trucks can do 90, so to stay within the law you're actually holding up the trucks. And with so many stretches of the motorway limiting trucks and trailer towers to only one lane, you're the truckers worst nightmare if you try and stick to 80kph.
Latest Forum Posts