Motoring Discussion > Highway Code "refinements" Legal Questions
Thread Author: Fursty Ferret Replies: 1

Highway Code "refinements" - Fursty Ferret
I often think of things that should be in the Highway Code, but aren't. Mostly common sense, but what do you think should be in there?

To get things started:

1. When joining a motorway, you should accelerate promptly to current motorway speeds. This may result in you having to exceed 1500RPM and avoids the dangerous situation of you ending up stopped at the end of the sliproad with your indicator blinking away.

2. If you do need to pull out to overtake, plan more than two seconds in advance of hitting the car in front of you. When you do pull out, do not swerve into the path of cars passing you in the next lane and then put your indicator on.

EXCEPTION TO RULE TWO: If the car passing you is doing significantly in excess of the speed limit (90MPH or more) then it is perfectly acceptable to pull out provided you judge that they can avoid running into the back of you. In this case, indication is not required. Adjust rear view mirror for best view of panic on their face.
 Highway Code "refinements" - Pat
3. When overtaking on a 20 mile stretch of dual carriageway it should be done on the twin track and NOT on the only roundabout along that stretch.

4. Failure to use indicators on roundabouts will ensure that my crystal ball is not working too. That will mean that I WILL pull out in front of you.

Pat
Latest Forum Posts