Motoring Discussion > My new car Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 17

My new car - Stuu
Gotcha :-)

Just had the Ignis serviced, got a clean bill of health, told it wont need anything but a tyre in the next year.

I had the brake fluid changed as it was due and the difference was staggering when I picked it up.
Seems it wasnt just due on paper because the brakes had started to feel a bit dead and the pedal quite spongy - picked it up and it was like a different car - I just had to brush my foot over the pedal and it grabbed strongly. Its made point and squirt so much more fun now I feel like it will stop aswell as go, just goes to show these fluid changes do actually matter.

Still happy with the motor, no 'man maths' twinges as yet, I do rather wish for a smoother ride some days depending on what roads Im on - around town with speed bumps and potholes, its horrid, but on a nice A-road its fantastic. Still, I dont think ill go down the hot hatch route again, but im glad ive had one all the same.

Fancy a people carrier next, I want 'captains chairs' with lots of armrests, I always wanted to be a captain...
 My new car - Zero
Buy a cap.
 My new car - corax
>> Still happy with the motor, no 'man maths' twinges as yet, I do rather wish
>> for a smoother ride some days depending on what roads Im on - around town
>> with speed bumps and potholes, its horrid, but on a nice A-road its fantastic. Still,
>> I dont think ill go down the hot hatch route again, but im glad ive
>> had one all the same.
>>
>> Fancy a people carrier next, I want 'captains chairs' with lots of armrests, I always
>> wanted to be a captain...

Ha, I'm the opposite. I'm already looking at other cars, and fancy something more exciting to drive than the Avensis, with sharper handling and less refinement, so that I feel like I'm driving something. But I know that come winter, my car will be a haven on those nasty slippery roads. I sometimes wish I'd gone for a Seat Ibiza TDi that I road tested, but then I might be up to my eyes in failed turbo's and wiring looms and dodgy electrics by now :)

People carriers - S Max is reckoned to be good, but probably too common for you.
 My new car - RattleandSmoke
What Stu needs is a Space Cruiser Model F, driven with a base ball cap of course.
 My new car - Stuu
I rather fancy a Toyota Previa, something like that, but I expect it will be a bit smaller than that in the end, I dont really need something quite that big.
Ive got the fast car thing out my system, now I want comfort. I drove a Sharan diesel auto a while back, was quite nice although driving position was a bit rubbish, but nippy to drive.

I have the baseball cap, infact, I have quite a few :-)
 My new car - Zero
Stick Stu in a Vauxhall Sintra, this will cure of him of any idea of a people carrier.
Too fast, what he really needs is a Serena 1.8 diesel, 0-60 in around 60 minutes.
 My new car - Stuu
Haha, I drove one of them once. Ghastly bag of bolts they are and made of tin foil.
 My new car - Zero
>> Haha, I drove one of them once. Ghastly bag of bolts they are and made
>> of tin foil.

"A Renault Espace, a Ford Galaxy, a Fiat Ulysse, anything but a Sintra. It would be negligent not to report that owners have almost universally slated the Sintra as being chronically unreliable. Being voted the worst car in Britain probably takes some doing, but the Sintra manages it with some élan. Problems have been reported virtually everywhere. Electrics, rust, CV joints, driveshafts, seat mountings, paint finish, and steering systems have all been reported as problematic. If you enjoy home maintenance, a Sintra could well make you a very happy customer.

With a range of lively engines and a firmer ride than its US forebears, the Sintra promised something above the usual MPV float and wallow. Unfortunately the engines seem a little bit too good for the chassis and brakes. The trim feels cheap and ill-fitting, reinforcing the van-like driving impression. These facts are of secondary concern to the Sintras crash performance.

With a worst in class rating for head-on impact in the Euro-NCAP test, the Sintra was said to have been overwhelmed by the standard test impact, with the steering wheel ripping off its column. Worse was to come. The Sintra was the only MPV tested to get one of its stars flagged, indicating that Euro-NCAP felt there is a very serious problem with the car. In this case, the detrimental mark was given because the driver's head was forced back and up by the smash, threatening serious neck injury, if not a fatality. Overall, however, the car's entire passenger compartment was judged unstable in a head-on smash"

I've not seen one for ages, still see plenty of Previas though.
 My new car - nyx2k
where was the sintra developed then for gm to get is so wrong?
 My new car - Zero
>> where was the sintra developed then for gm to get is so wrong?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_Sintra
 My new car - Skoda
Sounds like a bit of indirect praise for the Sintra's engine there. Coupled with the van comparison, I wonder if auto trader took some fervoured searching from a computer somewhere in north hants just there :-P
 My new car - bathtub tom
>>I want 'captains chairs' with lots of armrests

Here y'are Stu, this one's got a captains chair: tinyurl.com/3w3fba3 ;>)
 My new car - Stuu
Wicked, stick a tow bar on and a bench for the family, instant mpv. :-)
 My new car - DP
The S-Max really is as good to drive as the reviews say. I can't work out how Ford got something so big, heavy and tall on conventional springs and dampers to go round corners like that. I took my brother and sister in-law's 2.0 TDCi for a spirited drive, and factoring in what kind of car it is, and what expectations that gives you as a result, I would rate it as one of the most impressive things I've ever driven.
I know a guy who took one round the Nordschleife and reckoned right up until the brake pads caught fire about six minutes in, he was keeping pace with, and occasionally passing, all sorts of far more exotic stuff.
 My new car - bathtub tom
>>I know a guy who took one round the Nordschleife and reckoned right up until the brake pads caught fire about six minutes in, he was keeping pace with, and occasionally passing, all sorts of far more exotic stuff.

Easily possible with a competent driver and if he did that to the brake pads he must've been 'going for it'.

I've met many with more money than sense, one had a TVR who occasionally took it up the motorway to give it a blast. When questioned, they admitted they never took it over 3K RPM!
 My new car - Zero

>> Easily possible with a competent driver and if he did that to the brake pads
>> he must've been 'going for it'.

He was certainly moving after the brakes failed.
Latest Forum Posts