Motoring Discussion > New Ducati engine Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 8

New Ducati engine - bathtub tom
bore and stroke figures of 112 x 60.8mm, a ratio of 1.84:1

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motorcycle_manufacturers/ducati/8824047/Ducati-unveils-new-superbike-engine.html

Has an engine ever been more over-square?

I can't get my head round the compression ratio figures, will it run on ten octane?
 New Ducati engine - bathtub tom
>>a ratio of 1.84:1

Just realised it's the bore/stroke ratio, not the compression ratio. Doh!
 New Ducati engine - R.P.
Wow - that is some motor, mind you the ideal bike would be a Japanese quality, Italian framed (and named !) with a German engine - that BMW four is something to behold and smooth as one of BBD's chat up lines. Triumph manage something close to perfection...!

It'll designed to run on 98+ RON for you !

Love to gibe it a whirl though.
 New Ducati engine - Lygonos
Now make it a 3.6 litre V6 with 570bhp and plop it in a car please......
 New Ducati engine - rtj70
>> smooth as one of BBD's

And where is Dave?
 New Ducati engine - R.P.
Just been reading a test on Triumph Tiger v. Ducati Multistrada and a Yamaha - what is clear the Japanese caught the European makers on the back foot 40 years ago - clearer still these days is that the Western bikes now are up there amongst and beyond the best that Japan have to offer, a Triumph that is just as reliable, well made and more importantly a better ride than its oriental competitors is a thing to behold, and who could imagine BMWs (which were agricultural 2 wheeled tractors for years) that set the benchmark for sports bikes - The Duke is everything its always been, possessing a spirit an character that Honda can only dream of.......and very, very quick.
 New Ducati engine - Harleyman
The Duke is everything its
>> always been, possessing a spirit an character that Honda can only dream of.......and very, very
>> quick.
>>

All true.... but I sincerely hope they've fixed some of the reliability issues which have dogged the Ducati name for more years than I care to remember.

It has to be said though that European machinery is only competitive now due to the manufacturers adopting Japanese production techniques and management philosophies.

Triumph's particular genius has been to produce excellent new bikes whilst at the same time using the marque's pedigree (albit an adopted one) to the utmost.
 New Ducati engine - MD
>> It has to be said though that European machinery is only competitive now due to
>> the manufacturers adopting Japanese production techniques and management philosophies.
>>
What is wrong with that. About time that this great big headed over inflated island of MINE got a grip, re-nicked the ideas/ways, stopped whinging and went to work proper manner and produced something worthy of buying. Perhaps......................just perhaps this latest financial 'spat' will awaken sensibilities enough to crawl us to recovery. Leave it long enough and there will be no knowledge to pass down.

M
 New Ducati engine - Meldrew
A Bonneville would do me nicely in my dotage!

assets1.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/images/motorcycles/bonneville_T100_Cream2_RHS.jpg
Latest Forum Posts