Motoring Discussion > New tyres all round? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 19

New tyres all round? - Stuu
Had a look at the Iggy tyres yesterday and theres no more than 3mm on any of them, one of the rears is down to 2mm so that deffo needs changing.

Im of a mind to change all 4 as 3mm doesnt visually look that great to cope with snow and ive visions of sliding off into the hedgerow at the first sign of the white stuff, wise or overreacting? Its £300 worth of tyres that wipes out the little money I have sitting about but then it could be far more costly having an accident I thought.

Ive got two tyres in mind, Uniroyal Rain Expert I think it is and Hankook Ventus Prime 2, both seem to be around the £75 a corner mark - any opinions on either - ive read a few reviews and both get generally great write ups, Uniroyal esp.

Also wondered whether it is normal to get a discount when buying 4 and if so, how much should I aim for?

( yes Im back, computer fixed with a small loan as mum was fed up of me nicking her laptop... )
 New tyres all round? - Old Navy
A Kwik Fit near me has a 25% off all tyres sign outside at the moment.
 New tyres all round? - -
Uniroyal Rain Expert for me, whilst not being a winter compound tyre these do get well reported for being able to cope quite well in the cold.

As a general purpose tyre they are in the top rankings, and remarkable value.

Check Camskills as well as your usual haunts for your size, they had Uniroyals at very good prices earlier in the year.

Those prices are quite high for a small car Stu, does your car have an odd size/rating.
185 55 R15 82. plenty of choices but I dont want to spend upwards of £75 a tyre really and most of the brands cheaper than the two mentioned, id never heard of them!

I only picked out Hankook because they were exceptionally durable on my Charade ( 50k ) and id rather not have something that burns though in 10k ( Im on target for 18k this year ). Id dont require something with massive grip as such, more wet weather grip as I drive alot of back lanes and reasonable rolling resistance qualities.

My normal tyre guy gets his tyres from various sources so if I come up with some brands he will source them and he will negociate on price, no messing.
 New tyres all round? - Mike Hannon
Nice to see you FoR.
I've used Uniroyal Rain Experts on and off for years on the Legend coupe and the Prelude. Got them on the Prelude as I speak. I regard them quite highly as a performance/price compromise.
 New tyres all round? - -
Just remembered, had 2 new Uniroyals RE's fitted to the front (he he) of my daughters new to her Civic last Christmas, just took them off and had all seasons put on which were bought relatively cheaply in the summer..

They had 3mm left after some 25k (might be 30k i can't remember her bought mileage) very hard miles, never gave her a single dodgy moment.
Swapped them to the rear and put the also rans on the front a couple of months back to even the wear out but the also rans wheelspan at tghe drop of a hat so swapped them back.

I had a quick poke nose on Camskills, if you are on 185/55 x 15's, H rated they are £48odd, V rated £53 odd, factor in £10 postage and assume £40 for fitting, hopefully you have somewhere cheaper.

edit, you are on that size.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Wed 19 Oct 11 at 12:19
Getting them done tomorrow. He couldnt match your prices GB, but he matched the 10% discount that the usual suspects are offering off a set and id rather support a local business.

He said he has been fitting alot of precautionary tyres in the last few weeks and having had a look at mine, even though the fronts have 3mm, they are originals and they are perishing between the tread so prob need throwing away anyway.

He also rated the Uniroyals very highly, said they are a great balance between a winter and summer tyre.
 New tyres all round? - -
Excellent.

Hope they do you proud too, s'funny but you can minutely inspect your tyres on the car but once you get them off you see all sorts of little things you didn't notice.

Will be interesting to hear of your appraisals when you've experienced some different weathers and temperatures on them.

Im wondering how much difference having a matching set will make, currently have these elderly Yokoham Advans on the front and worn Pirelli P6000 on the back - not a stretch to think it will feel better.
That said, I took a tyre shredding blast round the lanes earlier and it still goes round corners like its on rails, so it doesnt feel wanting even as it is.

Sadly, spending this amount of wedge means ill have to keep the car for a while though, Im not allowed to change it now until sping 2013 according to er indoors :-)
 New tyres all round? - Old Navy
>> That said, I took a tyre shredding blast round the lanes earlier and it still
>> goes round corners like its on rails, so it doesnt feel wanting even as it
>> is.

Good to see you are a real world driver and not one of these people who can tell the make, and tyre wear to the nearest millimeter just by driving on an average road.
I always have been, but money means burning petrol off at a serious rate isnt very wise - I prefer a luxobarge really and its more an accident of fate that I have a hothatch and Im unlikely to buy another BUT I think of it as having a super hot but difficult girlfriend - you really enjoy it but you know its not forever as in the end it will drive you round the bend.
Very happy with new tyres. They are significantly softer riding than the old set, which makes a huge difference with a stiffly sprung car.
Turn in is still great although im not pushing it yet, want to do a few miles before I start exploring the grip levels. They are also massively quieter than the old ones aswell, it feels like a very different car.

I was talking to the tyre guy and he said Uniroyals are vastly underrated tyres and good value.
 New tyres all round? - Bill Payer
>> I was talking to the tyre guy and he said Uniroyals are vastly underrated tyres
>> and good value.
>>
I note a couple of earlier posters have commented on decent life, but I remember having a pair of Uniroyal Rallye 180's (complete with M+S marking) put on the front of my company Cavalier and they lasted 6K miles! They were very grippy though!
 New tyres all round? - Dave_
>> put on the front of my company Cavalier and they lasted 6K miles

Every company Cavalier I ever saw was driven like that, too :)
 New tyres all round? - Bill Payer
>> Every company Cavalier I ever saw was driven like that, too :)
>>
The leasing company used to surcharge us if the tyres lasted less than 30K miles. The company didn't make employees pay though.

Some of the guys could have the same tyres from start to finish (2yr /60K mile contracts).
My tyre guy told me about an Audi TT 4wd that goes through 4 tyres in 15k and £1k a set.

Ouch.
 New tyres all round? - PeterS
TBH my A4 goes through tyres at quite a rate. A pair of front tyres lasts 12k miles at most; the new ones go on the back and the back ones move forward. They're down to 3mm in another 6k or so miles... Fortunately, despite being 18" wheels, theyre not quite that expensive, but expensive enough!!
 New tyres all round? - Avant
So much for progress. A figure that for some reason has stuck in the mind is a splendid 46,000 miles out of the original front tyres (probably Michelins) on my first company car, a Renault 20TS in 1980. The rear tyres were still going strong when the company changed the car with the mileage in the 50,000s.
Last edited by: Avant on Tue 25 Oct 11 at 22:11
 New tyres all round? - Runfer D'Hills
For years I seem to have been doing +/- 40,000 miles a year and fairly consistently have bought 4 front tyres and two rears each year. That suggests about 20k tyre life on the front and 40k on the back. It'll be interesting to see if going back to a RWD car changes things.
 New tyres all round? - Bagpuss
I got over 60,000km (40,000miles) out of a set of tyres on a BMW 530d that spends a lot its time the far side of 200 km/h, so I would expect the tyre lifetime for a rwd car in the UK to be longer.
Latest Forum Posts