Motoring Discussion > First "chime" of winter. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 36

First "chime" of winter. - R.P.
On the way home tonight from selecting a new addition to the pack- Ice Warning - it's getting colder chaps ! A twenty six degree difference from three weeks last Friday !
 First "chime" of winter. - Alastairw
I see your chime and raise you a gritter siting. I assume Cheshire will run out of grit by the end of November.
 First "chime" of winter. - PeterS
For the second morning in a row mine bonged today (5 degrees is the trigger point though, so quite high) Frost on the roof today too!! Thank goodness for heated seats ;-)

Peter
Fired up the heated seats on Monday ! Central heating had quit here until we caught and handcuffed a plumber to it....close run thing.
 First "chime" of winter. - BobbyG
Had to scrape the frost off my windscreen this morning....
 First "chime" of winter. - VxFan
Got the works Transit Connect parked outside the house tonight as I've got an early start tomorrow.

It's got one of those stupid heated windscreens that I don't like. Give me a scraper any day. While cleaning the ice off the windscreen you can let the engine run to warm it up a bit quicker.
 First "chime" of winter. - Meldrew
What's not to like about a heated windscreen? Best thing in my mid-specced small car.
 First "chime" of winter. - Pat
Surely you don't HAVE to switch it on if you don't want to use it?

Pat
 First "chime" of winter. - Old Navy
A beautiful morning here, Cold, frosty, clear blue sky, and no wind. My garage beats a leccy windscreen. :-)
Stunning morning here as well, classic late autumn - nip in the air, but that unique "yellowness" of a sunny day this time of the year.
 First "chime" of winter. - Bromptonaut
Winter coat, bike lights and hi-viz had ther first outing today.

No ice at home but, viewed from the train, the marshy 'moat' round Berkhamstead castle looked covered in hoar frost.

Beautiful sky colours both this morning and on the way home at 17:30 last night.
 First "chime" of winter. - Dave
We've had maybe half a dozen light frosts so far. The winter skoda is out, mot'd, taxed and insured. The studded tyres are still on it from last year, but not needed yet. In fact, they're all down to 3mm so I'm looking for a new secondhand set.

And I'm half way through finishing a snow plow for the small tractor. The local farmer is a bit sporadic with the plowing, so decided to do it myself this year. Especially as I have customers and deliveries coming fairly regularly. Last year the DHL truck got stuck, and it took a couple of hours to dig him out.

I've bought some wood inside, and even lit the boiler a few times. The mower is in storage, the snow shovel is ready, and I've set the timer for the dogs heated water bowls and kennel heaters.
 First "chime" of winter. - PeterS
Frosty again on the south coast this morning, but beautiful sunshine. With any luck the grass will stop growing now!!

Once again have left it a bit too late to get the chimney swept and logs delivered - earliest is now mid November :-(
 First "chime" of winter. - CGNorwich
Forecast as warm again for the coming weekend. 17C in London on Sunday
 First "chime" of winter. - Runfer D'Hills
>> 17C in London on Sunday

Best get those summer tyres back on chaps...

:-))
Heated Bowls !!!!

Just reminded me that I need to take the battery off the mower - tomorrow's tasking sorted.
 First "chime" of winter. - Dog
The Lancer is too technologically advanced for all these blimming external temp gadgets & ice warnings!!

11 days to go and I get stuck into my 60 bags o' Taybrite :)

First "chime" of winter. - Focusless
When I let the dog out before 6 this morning I didn't think it was that cold, but then I did have to scrape the ice off Mrs F's Colt later.

Switched to long sleeve top and gloves for the run to the station yesterday morning, but didn't feel the need to cover my shapely (ahem) legs; might have been different if I'd gone in this morning.

Some lovely views this time of year on the train between Reading and Bath - out of Reading the line roughly follows the Thames but is raised above the level of the fields, so you look out over a sea of mist.
 First "chime" of winter. - Stuu
No frost in Kettering, just a little moisture on the car roof.
 First "chime" of winter. - -
>> No frost in Kettering,

Was at 0230, and at Welly...;)

First "chime" of winter. - madf
We had our first frost about a week ago. The disused railway cutting I occasionally run along was white..

Trackie bottoms for the last 2 weeks..
Last edited by: madf on Thu 20 Oct 11 at 10:56
 First "chime" of winter. - Redviper
Was presented with a "slippery road" message and a Triangle with a snowflake picture this morning - long time no see I thought as I have to aknowledge it br pressing OK

Could not find my scraper, wasn't badly iced over though a few minutes with the demister on and we are ready to go.
Last edited by: Redviper on Thu 20 Oct 11 at 12:15
 First "chime" of winter. - Stuu
Well if you will get up in the middle of the night dear boy.

Ive come to the conclusion that Kettering seems to have a micro-climate all of its own thats somewhat warmer than surrounding towns because it always seems warmer than at my parents and during snow, we are always the last to get it and the first to loose it.
Not that Im complaining, hate snow, bring on global warming!
 First "chime" of winter. - borasport
Just as well Lidl are doing 5l of concentrated screenwash for £5.99 this week.

Given it would have been ordered a week or two ago, they must have better weather forecasters than the Met Office......,
 First "chime" of winter. - madf
>> Just as well Lidl are doing 5l of concentrated screenwash for £5.99 this week.
>>
>> Given it would have been ordered a week or two ago, they must have better
>> weather forecasters than the Met Office......,
>>

At least with a coin, you are 50% right...
 First "chime" of winter. - Old Navy
Or go the Halfords route and sell it all year round.
 First "chime" of winter. - DP
Yellow snowflake and a "bong" this morning when I fired up the Beemer. Not the first of the season though. That was on Sunday morning.
It was down to 4 degrees C at 6pm yesterday. Clearly it was going to be a chilly one.
 First "chime" of winter. - Fursty Ferret
Actually, I'm still on the original fill of screenwash from when I bought the car a year ago. I honestly have no idea how big the reservoir under the bonnet is, but I'm betting somewhere between a swimming pool and a Scottish loch.
 First "chime" of winter. - VxFan
>> What's not to like about a heated windscreen?

The thin wavy lines play havoc with my vision and I usually end up with a headache.
 First "chime" of winter. - DP
I really miss the Quickclear screen on my old Focus. Brilliant invention.
I can't say the lines ever bothered me, but this does seem to be a personal thing. I know a few people who say they irritate.
 First "chime" of winter. - rtj70
>> I really miss the Quickclear screen on my old Focus. Brilliant invention.

I should have had that on the Passat but the order messed up. I took it anyway. I did see them on my Mondeo from a few years ago but soon got used to it. Brilliant as you say.
 First "chime" of winter. - WillDeBeest
Does the Passat screen have the little wires too? Really used to bother me in rented Mondeos in the 90s but I've not tried one for a long time. That said, given that I commute east in the mornings and west after work, if the wires were going to bother anyone it would be me.
 First "chime" of winter. - bathtub tom
>>I commute east in the mornings and west after work, if the wires were going to bother anyone it would be me.

Surely, that would only matter in sunshine and in this country..................

;>)
 First "chime" of winter. - WillDeBeest
You'd be amazed, BT. It's been a crawl both ways this week, presumably because of a few who need a bit of low sun to realize that the wipers only clean the outside of the screen.
 First "chime" of winter. - Dave_
Not quite a visible frost here, a couple of hours later than GB. I did see some white grass near Kings Lynn about 8.30am though.
11 degrees tonight, warmer than its been all day - very mild wind - dry as a bone.
 First "chime" of winter. - Ted

Loaded my winter stuff into the Vitara a weeks ago. Plastic box with screenwash mix, antifreeze coolant mix, WD40, decent torch and some other kit.

Also my 12V pump wot I got from Lidl a month ago. Got called out to one of the club Fiat 500s with a flat yesterday. I didn't fancy doing a wheelchange on a busy rush hour road so I wanged enough air in to get to my tyre man, who did a repair. The pump covered itself with glory....not bad for a very small cost !

Went to Go-Outdoors to get some decent thermal socks and came away with a snow shovel as well. That should guarantee that we don't get any this year !

Ted
Latest Forum Posts