Motoring Discussion > Vauxhall Vectra B facelift - What to do with a troublesome banger
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 15

Vauxhall Vectra B facelift - What to do with a troublesome banger - Stuu
1999 V reg Vectra, nout special, 139k, TCS light and ABS light issues, otherwise OK, they want rid of the car but arent sure where or how much.

I suggested AT at £250-300 spares/repairs, any other suggestions?
 Vauxhall Vectra B facelift - What to do with a troublesome banger - R.P.
ABS will be an MoT failure on the other hand the modules are not that expensive, not sure whether the TCS is fired from the same module and not sure about its MoTness. Has it got a ticket and rent ? :-)
 Vauxhall Vectra B facelift - What to do with a troublesome banger - Zero
The ABS/TCS could be an alternator issue/low voltage - get it checked out.
They have already decided to ditch it, they dont want to spend anything on it as its not worth much. They only asked me about disposal, its already been to a garage and all kinds of horrific predictions were given, scared them off I suspect.

Far as I know its got T&T yes, she wouldnt drive it without.
 Vauxhall Vectra B facelift - What to do with a troublesome banger - R.P.
Might be worth a punt for 300 - failing anything else you might make a little profit flogging it for parts on fleabay.
 Vauxhall Vectra B facelift - What to do with a troublesome banger - VxFan
>> The ABS/TCS could be an alternator issue/low voltage - get it checked out.

My money would be on it being one of the front wheel ABS sensors as it has a dual role of an ABS and TC sensor.
I think the problem is, they are both on modest wages and with the potential for huge costs, they dont want to start down that path, they arent car savvy, hence they rang me.

My instinct was dont scrap it as her OH was suggesting, get some cash back on it, someone out there has the time/tools to fix it, but its old, worth very little and unless you know your stuff, you could end up at the mercy of a garage who could feed you any line they like.

Just in addition, she said the TCS is on all the time, the ABS comes on when started and remains on, but not every time. I forgot to mention, the speedo also fails to work at same time as ABS.
 Vauxhall Vectra B facelift - What to do with a troublesome banger - VxFan
>> I forgot to mention, the speedo also fails to work at same time as ABS.

In which case it's definately the ABS sensor - the speedo uses the signal from it as well.
Ok well thanks for that, ive just ring her and let her know, will let you know if they get a result.
 Vauxhall Vectra B facelift - What to do with a troublesome banger - Mapmaker
eBay it with 99p NR auction. With a full honest description, and details of history etc.

Spares or repairs. You will be *guaranteed* the scrap price. And some bit-part trader will buy it, change the sensor, and it will be back up there for £800 in no time.
 Vauxhall Vectra B facelift - What to do with a troublesome banger - Lygonos
>> they arent car savvy, hence they rang me

:-)
Cheeky.
Apparently the sensors have already been changed, she just rang back.
 Vauxhall Vectra B facelift - What to do with a troublesome banger - spamcan61
I'd go the eBay route as suggested.

My '96 Vectra has permanent TC light on, at some point in the past someone has swapped the ABS controller but not the modulator, the two need to be paired via ECU programming or the TC light stays on. ABS light, and indeed the ABS, work properly though. So the TC light may be unrelated. Could be an expensive fix anyway hence eBay beckons in this case IMHO.
 Vauxhall Vectra B facelift - What to do with a troublesome banger - DP
Could be the wiring to one of the sensors. It gets a hard time from road salt, damp, temperature extremes and vibration.
I think they are better off without, look for it in the small ads soon :-)
Latest Forum Posts