Motoring Discussion > Jaguar recall. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 45

Jaguar recall. - Old Navy
Sky news is reporting the recall of 18,000 Jaguar cars because of a cruise control fault.

news.sky.com/home/business/article/16093768
 Jaguar recall. - Iffy
Let's hope the owners can stop their cars when they reach the garage.

I know that some Ceed drivers have reported that the CC is intermittently faulty and will not engage, often after leaving a Motorway Service Area.

The brake pedal has to be slightly depressed before the system self check on startup is passed and the CC will engage. (Brake pedal switch check).
Anyone know if the Jag X type uses the same CC system as the Mondeo it is based on?
 Jaguar recall. - Zero
Likely same hardware, but its paired with different software.
 Jaguar recall. - Zero
Not engaging is an annoyance,

Failing to disengage is a whole new ball game!!!!!
>> Failing to disengage is a whole new ball game!!!!!
>>

Nothing like a bit of excitement to keep you alert. :-)
 Jaguar recall. - Ian (Cape Town)
>> >> Failing to disengage is a whole new ball game!!!!!
>> >>
>>
>> Nothing like a bit of excitement to keep you alert. :-)
>>

I rarely use cruise control, to be honest.
Call me a luddite, but it seems to be totally against the whole 'concentration whilst driving' idea.
Though with the crazy proliferaton of speed traps I read about in the Uk, one can understand.

Bizzare - SA law allows for a 10km/h cushion on speeding offences, due to 'inherent inaccuracies' of the system. So I can drive at 70 (indicated) in a 60 zone.
 Jaguar recall. - rtj70
I have to confess I got to like using the cruise control on a Golf (1999) and Passat (2000). I got points in 1998 driving a Vectra.... but the simple cruise control on the VWs was great and easy to use. And there was space to rest feed either side of pedals.

In fact I could alter speed (faster/slower) intuitively to match motorway speeds. The Mondeo controls I never liked - I would have to look at the wheel to turn them on etc. I probably would have got better but chose not to use it.

The Mazda was better - easy to use without looking so used them more. And now on the new VW I thought the control would be similar to before but it's a separate stalk. I thought that unnecessary after the previous VWs but it works well. Possible to set speed and see it digitally. and then increase/decrease in either 1mph or 5mph increments. Very good.

Back to the original post though.... not disengaging is a worry. Not even after hitting the brakes!?! How many would turn off inanition and risk steering lock on the motorway!
 Jaguar recall. - Dave_
The Mondeo's cruise control can be cancelled in several ways: pressing "cancel", pressing "off", depressing the clutch or brake pedals. Or knocking it into neutral, I suppose... Not easy if your Jag's an automatic.

The X-type diesel uses the same engine as the Mondeo, so it would be reasonable to expect the hardware to be similar too. Hmmm.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Fri 21 Oct 11 at 21:43
 Jaguar recall. - rtj70
>> The Mondeo's cruise control can be cancelled in several ways: pressing "cancel".... depressing the clutch...

When I had the Mondeo a few times I depressed the clutch pedal when on cruise control.... cruise control didn't disengage. I touched the brake instead.

But the controls on the steering were so poor I didn't use it after first trying it. I have used cruise on the new car more in two weeks than I did in four years in the Mondeo I think! Or soon will at least.

In the new car I can see me using cruise more on motorways again. The Passat likes to accelerate! Well lets you accelerate I should really say.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 21 Oct 11 at 22:24
 Jaguar recall. - Dave_
>> But the controls on the steering were so poor

They are a bit illogical, I'll give you that. A bit like the heater controls.

I tend to knock my cruise control off using the "resume/cancel" button on the wheel, half a mile before I need to stop. The fuel shuts off completely on the overrun, which means I save money on both diesel and brake pads :)

The clutch switch definitely works, because cruise gets cancelled when I change up after leaving a 40 or 50mph limit.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Fri 21 Oct 11 at 22:29
 Jaguar recall. - rtj70
The clutch switch on my old Mondeo usually worked... didn't a few times. In fact I am sure engine revs increased whilst clutch depressed! But never looked into it because the buttons are poor ergonomically.

They are marked and different sizes. And if you memorised them and used them often you'd be fine. On the old VW system there were only two controls essentially. One was a button on the stalk to set speed. The other was a slider that could be used to switch off (clicked off), resume, slow down or speed up. Simple. New VW slightly more complicated but more versatile.
 Jaguar recall. - VxFan
>> Not easy if your Jag's an automatic.

Why not? All you do is move the gearstick / flappy paddle / press a button (or whatever the Jag has to select gears) from D to N.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 22 Oct 11 at 00:37
>> >> Not easy if your Jag's an automatic.
>>
>> Why not? All you do is move the gearstick / flappy paddle / press a
>> button (or whatever the Jag has to select gears) from D to N.
>>

And hope it isn't using the same software (have the same glitch) as the cruise control. :-)
 Jaguar recall. - Zero
Sometimes an auto wont go to neutral if it thinks the revs will be too high....
 Jaguar recall. - Iffy
I think the cruise on the CC3 is the same as the Mondeo.

It's a model of simplicity and clarity compared to the cruise fitted on my brother's Honda Civic.

On the way to the caravan I can put the cruise on when I join the A1(M) at Durham and not knock it off until I exit at Catterick.

The '+' and "-" buttons do the job for overtaking.
>> On the way to the caravan I can put the cruise on when I join
>> the A1(M) at Durham and not knock it off until I exit at Catterick.
>>
>> The '+' and "-" buttons do the job for overtaking.
>>

Thats the way it should be used, with planning and anticipation. Makes you wonder about the skills of drivers who say they can't use CC.
 Jaguar recall. - CGNorwich
" Makes you wonder about the skills of drivers who say they can't use CC."

I don't think that drivers, myself included, can't use CC., It's not exactly rocket science is it?

It's just that its seems an entirely pointless gimmick. I don't have any trouble whatsoever with maintaining constant speed on the motorway without using it and am a loss to see its advantages. I do have it fitted on my Octavia and a number of previous cars and have given it a reasonable trial but just don't see the point.

I do regularly drive long distances

What exactly am I missing ON?
 Jaguar recall. - Slidingpillar
I know some can be easily used when there is a SPECs enforced average speed to contend with. I was toying with the idea, but my proposed next car only has it if I select the next trim level. As I don't want worse ride/more expensive tyres etc, I'll carry on watching my speed.
>> What exactly am I missing ON?
>>

The main thing is that long journeys (300+ miles) are less tiring. It is not as useful in the traffic dense south but is in lighter traffic areas. I often drive the length of the M74 and north end of the M6 on CC all the way.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 22 Oct 11 at 14:02
 Jaguar recall. - Iffy
...It is not as useful in the traffic dense south but is in lighter traffic areas...

Agreed.

Also handy on average speed limited stretches.

There's about 10 miles of 50mph on the A1(M) south of Bedale.

Set the cruise at an indicated 52mph and rest easy.

Jaguar recall. - Bagpuss
My next company car will have adaptive cruise control, which means it maintains a preset distance to the car in front, irrelevant of the speed. Will also, apparently, slow the car to a standstill automatically and start again when the traffic starts moving, without any intervention from the driver (apart from steering, hopefully).

Normal cruise control would have been standard on the car and this system cost extra - interesting to see whether it was worth the extra money.

I use cruise control regularly, especially early mornings and late evenings when I'm not in a particular hurry and the traffic is light. I just set it to around 150-160km/h, relax and enjoy the driving.
But why is it let tiring? I really don't understand why it should be an effort to keep your foot on the accelerator, you have to put it somewhere after all. Drove to the south of France and back in June and wasn't tempted to use CC at all. I just don't get it.
 Jaguar recall. - Zero
I had cruise control, I dont have it now, and I miss it,

Its great for stretches of 50 mph specs, and on long runs you can move your right foot around, a lot, and dont have to keep it in the same place.

I cant see how you dont get it CGN.
I can honestly say the need to move my right foot around is not something that I even think about when driving - just doesn't bother me. Don't have a problem keeping the car at 50 in specs either. For me a completely pointless feature but I guess we are all different.
 Jaguar recall. - Dutchie
I drove to the south of France and back like you Norwich.

I used CC regulary long streches of relative quiet motorway steady 130km.I found CC relaxing .
>> But why is it let tiring? I really don't understand why it should be an
>> effort to keep your foot on the accelerator,

You do not understand what makes driving tiring, it is not the keeping your foot on the accelerator that is tiring, without the mental effort required for driving it would be no more tiring than sitting in an armchair. Devices which reduce the mental load, (by maintaining a speed for example) must reduce the tiring effect.

I suspect the "Don't drive tired" and "Take a break" signs on the motorways are meant for you.
 Jaguar recall. - Londoner
Sorry, ON, but I think that you are being too aggressive in your defence of cruise control.
I'm with CGN on this - I simply cannot see the point of it.

I've never had a problem with driving long distances (well, up to 300 miles with breaks) - and in the crowded South-East cruise control is a PITA. You are forever adjusting the settings, and the response is nowhere near as good as using the accelerator and brake. I've tried using it in areas where there are roadworks and average speed cameras, but whatever speed you set it to, some car up ahead has frustratingly set their speed to one mph less than you.

In fact, I find trying to make the cruise control MORE mentally tiring than not having the wretched thing on at all!

(And on cars that don't have a footrest for your right foot - where do you put your right peg. I never found an answer in the 3-series!)
>>and in the crowded South-East cruise control is a PITA. You are forever adjusting the settings,>>

Take a look at my post at 13:57 yesterday, and Zero's 17:34 today. You have to use it with a little common sense.
 Jaguar recall. - Londoner
So we are in complete agreement I am happy to say - the common-sense setting for cruise-control for where I live is "OFF". :-)

Anyone who likes to use cruise control (and probably in circumstances more suited to it) - then fine.

I don't know what it is about cruise control, but it is one of those topics where its supporters seem to feel the need to evangelize it to non-believers.
>> So we are in complete agreement I am happy to say - the common-sense setting
>> for cruise-control for where I live is "OFF". :-)
>>

Yep, I rarely use mine in the south or up at my end if it is busy. I actually meant Humph's 17:31. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 23 Oct 11 at 18:11
 Jaguar recall. - VxFan
>> Sometimes an auto wont go to neutral if it thinks the revs will be too high....

Do I have to do all the thinking round here?

Just turn the key in the ignition to the off position - but don't remove it as the steering lock will come on.
 Jaguar recall. - Zero
Had you been thinking you would have reversed out of the way of the guy who rolled back into you, so dont you get all high and mighty!
 Jaguar recall. - VxFan
;o)

Didn't have time to even look in the mirror to see if anyone had crept up behind me during events. I wasn't going to risk reversing into someone behind me and complicate things further. Sounding the horn should have been sufficient warning for him to have stopped rolling / reversing back. How was I supposed to know there was actually an inexperienced driver at the wheel?

Anyway, wrong thread.
 Jaguar recall. - rtj70
>> Just turn the key in the ignition to the off position

What if you don't use a key to start/stop a car?
 Jaguar recall. - Runfer D'Hills
I use cruise control north of Preston and south of Calais. In those locations it's brilliant. In between it's useless.
 Jaguar recall. - Zero
yes dont want cruise control with slippy tyres
 Jaguar recall. - Runfer D'Hills
Yeah yeah yeah....yadda yadda yadda....

:-)
 Jaguar recall. - WillDeBeest
Agreed, Humph - although I did occasionally manage to use it in my M40 days if I was travelling home late enough for the road to have cleared.

Drivers who use CC on busy motorways are a menace. They're the ones in the middle lane who creep up on your shoulder and box you in, when the decent thing would be to get a pigging move on and get out of the way. I'm sure it applies to no-one here, of course.
 Jaguar recall. - VxFan
>> What if you don't use a key to start/stop a car?

What, like a Twocker? I'm sure a joyrider wouldn't be using the CC. He'll just have his foot planted to the floor on the gas pedal.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 23 Oct 11 at 18:00
 Jaguar recall. - rtj70
No I was thinking keyless entry and start for one. How would that work when you're actually moving? Would it work?

I didn't go for keyless entry/start but there is no key to start the Passat. The entire key fob is inserted and pressed it. To stop you press it in and it comes all the way out again. And to restart you need to depress the clutch. Again not tried stopping and restarting whilst on the move though.
 Jaguar recall. - Manatee
>> Again not tried stopping and restarting whilst on the move though.

Can you try it, and report back? It will be interesting to know whether the steering locks.
 Jaguar recall. - rtj70
Sure - what about at 80mph? Is that fast enough ;-)
 Jaguar recall. - VxFan
>> No I was thinking keyless entry

I know. I was just being facetious.
 Jaguar recall. - Zero
Face entry! Now there is a thing, facial recognition security!
Latest Forum Posts