Motoring Discussion > Rough Justice Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 29

Rough Justice - Meldrew
This rider had already been warned about riding on footpaths but this seems a bit harsh

tinyurl.com/68jsp4l
 Rough Justice - zippy
Not rough justice but thugs.

What if it were kids riding (I know they should not but they do).

Could even potentially injure a jogger.
 Rough Justice - Meldrew
There doesn't seem to be much outcry when homeowners shoot burglars.I guess that's rough justice too.
 Rough Justice - Zero
tony martin might disagree with you
 Rough Justice - Meldrew
That was many years ago and ISTR that the intruder was shot in the back which puts a different slant on the justifiable use of force.
 Rough Justice - Old Navy
If the police don't put a stop to the path riding they can't complain if the locals do.
 Rough Justice - Zero
They'll soon complain when they get charged with murder.

Its happened, wire+biker-head.
 Rough Justice - Meldrew
Breaking the law is a gamble or lottery. Illegally riding a motorbike you might get caught by the law and be processed normally or get your head cut off by a vigilante's piano wire or you might get away with it, 99% of the time. How lucky do you feel? Stick to the law and there won't be a problem.
 Rough Justice - Zero
Its not a loose your head lottery,

And what if was your 14 year old kid on a pushbike
 Rough Justice - Manatee
Really ON, you go too far.

A pick axe handle through the spokes would be better. Less chance of killing the 'wrong' person.
 Rough Justice - Iffy
...A pick axe handle through the spokes would be better...

It was a motorbike.

I don't know the patch, but riding a push-bike on the path is probably neither here nor there, but riding a motorbike is irresponsible.

Rough Justice - Zero
>> ...A pick axe handle through the spokes would be better...
>>
>> It was a motorbike.
>>
>> I don't know the patch, but riding a push-bike on the path is probably neither
>> here nor there, but riding a motorbike is irresponsible.

The effect of a wire through the neck is the same for both.

This is indiscriminate attempted murder

Rough Justice - Iffy
...This is indiscriminate attempted murder...

It's stupid and irresponsible - any criminal charge would depend on the extent of the injury.

A cyclist is likely to be travelling more slowly than a motorcyclist, so would probably suffer less serious injury.

Someone using the path lawfully - as a pedestrian - is unlikely to be injured at all.

Rough Justice - Zero
8 Year Old Girl Nearly Killed by Wire Strung Up

by Tejvan on FEBRUARY 11, 2008 in CYCLING
THE horrified parents of an eight-year-old girl torn from her bicycle after riding into wire deliberately strung between two posts want the culprits thrown in jail.

Little Shayla cheated death, suffering cuts and bruises to her throat and face, when she was slung by the neck in a park near her Hastings home about 9pm on Saturday.

Her furious mum, Kylie Hart, said the offenders deserved to spend time behind bars.

“We take this very seriously because it could have been a lot worse,” Ms Hart said.

Police believe angry vigilantes tied the metal wire to trip up local youths riding minibikes and motorbikes in the reserve.
 Rough Justice - Old Navy
>> Police believe angry vigilantes tied the metal wire to trip up local youths riding minibikes
>> and motorbikes in the reserve.
>>

So they got it wrong, just like our justice system often does.
 Rough Justice - Zero
Not sure our justice system prosecutes 8 year old girls.
 Rough Justice - Manatee
>> ...A pick axe handle through the spokes would be better...
>>
>> It was a motorbike.

I was being facetious. Sorry.

But I believe most motorbikes have spokes?

It's the old booby trap thing. Good chance of the consequences being far different from what was imagined. Not unknown for people to be injured or killed by their own traps, either.

Attempted murder would not be an unreasonable description.
 Rough Justice - Zero
At the end of the day, the people who did this are cowardly scum. Afraid to be there in person to deliver "vigilante" justice.
 Rough Justice - Iffy
...Attempted murder would not be an unreasonable description...

Legally, it's laughable.

To prove attempted murder you need to prove intent to kill.

Proving murder is easier in the sense you do not need to prove intent to kill, only intent to do serious harm.

It's one of the points the jury in the Tabak trial will have to wrestle with.

Rough Justice - Zero
I didnt know It would kill them so you cant find me guilty or murder or manslaughter" is not a defence.

The "I didnt know" defence is always shaky.
 Rough Justice - Manatee
I didn't mean legally, as you appreciated.

As to being difficult to prove though, I'm not so sure - what would any reasonable person think the consequences might be of a piano wire across the throat at 20mph? I wouldn't be betting on survival.
 Rough Justice - Fursty Ferret
No, Zero's right: "indiscriminate attempted murder".

Went through a phase in Leeds where local walkers used to build booby traps along a bridlepath that was converted from a footpath - so big logs across the trail on the other side of bends, etc.
 Rough Justice - Iffy
...As to being difficult to prove though...

Attempt murder is difficult to prove because the victim has to survive, but the intent to kill still has to be there.

If you wanted to kill someone enough to launch some form of physical attack, the chances are you would succeed, so the charge itself is a rare one.

Someone who strings a piano wire across a path cannot be said to be intending to kill a random passer-by who is killed by the wire, although they are being reckless as to whether injury is caused.

I would expect it to be charged as manslaughter, although that is a complex area - there are several different types - which I don't claim to fully understand.

In this instance, I think the relevant phrase is something like: 'A reasonable person (doesn't have to be the defendant) could foresee the deliberate action could result in the death or serious injury of another'.

Rough Justice - Armel Coussine
>> although they are being reckless as to whether injury is caused.

A bit more than reckless, I would think were I a judge. To string a wire at head or neck or body height across a path use by cyclists is a disgusting and malevolent act that in an adult with all his or her marbles should attract at least a couple of years of porridge. Five or seven if GBH is caused as it could so easily be.
 Rough Justice - Bromptonaut
Unfortunately this sort of thing is too often seen as funny:

www.bikeradar.com/news/article/whats-smug-and-deserves-to-be-decapitated-13832/
 Rough Justice - Iffy
A distant cousin of mine had a chair pulled from behind him when he was at school.

He spent some time in a wheelchair in the immediate aftermath, but managed to get literally back on his feet.

I heard on the family grapevine yesterday he has spent the last fortnight in hospital, and consideration is being given to yet another operation.

He's now nearly 60, so that schoolboy prank has had some impact.

Rough Justice - Bromptonaut
>> A distant cousin of mine had a chair pulled from behind him when he was
>> at school.

An Aunt of my Father's was similarly crippled for life before her teens.
 Rough Justice - Dutchie
Stringing a wire across the road used to be the favorite catching German motorcycles during the war the Frisians where good at it.

Not justifiable in piecetime attemted murdr in my opinion.
 Rough Justice - Armel Coussine
Well exactly Dutchie. The sort of thing the SAS might be taught to do when necessary. Very very wicked except in time of war. Even then actually. War is an orgy of crime and evil.
 Rough Justice - Ian (Cape Town)
>> In this instance, I think the relevant phrase is something like: 'A reasonable person (doesn't have to be the defendant) could foresee the deliberate action could result in the death >> or serious injury of another'.

Fascinating, and rather apt, iffy.
There's a case here of a bloke mowing down 6 joggers. 5 dead, the chap was as drunk as a lord, apparently, and they are doing him for 5 x murder because of the above.
Latest Forum Posts