Motoring Discussion > Got to my car to find front wing dented Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 96

Got to my car to find front wing dented - RattleandSmoke
I am very angry now. Looks like somebody has crashed into the wing, and dented and cracked it.

Luckily on a FIAT the wings are just bolt on. However on the way back the was a slight smell of petrol. I don't know if there is a fuel line behind that wing or if it is just a coincidence.

This is the damage

i167.photobucket.com/albums/u141/amazingtrade/P1060536.jpg

i167.photobucket.com/albums/u141/amazingtrade/P1060537.jpg

i167.photobucket.com/albums/u141/amazingtrade/P1060538.jpg

The splash marks are because I had to go to the lockup on the way back and there is a muddy and lumpy surface is there.

Now because I have only been driving three years I could get no claims protection, so if claim for this I would loose all my no claims bonus.

However I am not sure how much that would make a difference in reality.

How much is a body shop likely to charge to fix this? Everything else on the car drives perfectly, no issues with the steering or anything so I think the damage is just cosmetic but we will see if that fuel smell goes away.

Oh and to vent my anger at these scumbags I ripped a lot of hanging down wall paper of my wall and half the plaster came off with it.

Fuming like mad, but can't swear on here, we were using this car to my grandpas funeral.

Got to my car to find front wing dented - Iffy
Nasty little crease, but looks like only the paint is cracked, not the metal.

Worth taking it to a bodyshop to see if they can straighten it a bit as a cheaper fix.

There's a chance because you can get behind the dent.

It still won't look wonderful, but better than it is now.

Metal has a 'memory', so get someone to look at it as soon as you can.

A new wing, painted, will be a few hundred.

Might be better to keep the one you have, because the new paint almost always shows.

If you claim on insurance, you will not lose all your no claims bonus, only a proportion of it.

I thought I would loose the entire lot, if I only loose a year then I may just go through the insurance as it is less hassle, as it happened outside a job there is a good chance I can claim any up front costs as a business expense too.

I don't mind the £250 excess, it is premiums going up by a massive amount I am worried. Yet if I don't claim on the insurance can't I get into trouble for not telling them about it? E.g they will argue it is a 'risk' and they should have been told regardless if I make a claim.
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - swiss tony
Try talking to someone like this www.nomoredents.co.uk/ (just googled 'smart repairs manchester' they should sort that out fairly easily.
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - -
Wait till Ted comes on the scene Rattie, he'll know where a handy little bodyshop lurks (one man and his dog type of thing no mini skirted receptionists to pay for) who'll likely sort this for far less than your excess, worth gettting to know such a place, my car goes in every couple of years for a few days to get the inevitable scratches and possible rust spot sorted..

I'd say nowt to your insurance company about this, you don't want use a 'life' up for such a small repair, i doubt very much the guilty party is going to be handing himself in at the nick.

Damned annoying though matey.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sat 12 Nov 11 at 14:55
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - Stuu
Assuming its just a bolt-on job, if the wing is cheap, might be cheaper just to throw a new wing on rather than try to push out what looks like an arkward crease. If it were in the middle of the panel id say try pushing it out, but its not.

Quick search puts a front wing at about £40 or so.

Bad luck fella.
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - teabelly
Report the matter to the police. It's criminal damage essentially. Is there cctv around? Look out for any vehicles with marks or bumpers at the right height and shape to have hit you that hang around where you were.

Don't bother repairing it or claiming on insurance as it isn't worth the hassle or increased premiums. There's a good chance some other berk will hit it again so I'd just claim from those you catch in the act. You could probably get inside the wheel arch and push it out yourself.

You'll have to report it to your insurance company and they may load you anyway as they're generally devious weasles.
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - spamcan61
>> Report the matter to the police.
>>
>> Don't bother repairing it or claiming on insurance as it isn't worth the hassle or
>> increased premiums.
>>

So what's the point in reporting it to the Police if you're not claiming anyway? Just making a rod for your own back insurance wise.
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - teabelly
>> So what's the point in reporting it to the Police if you're not claiming anyway?
>> Just making a rod for your own back insurance wise.
>>

Because you report all crime. If you don't, the idiot politicians don't realise there is a problem.

You have to report all incidents to your insurance company whether you claim or not anyway. It is a material fact. They find out later and they can invalidate your insurance altogether.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 12 Nov 11 at 19:42
>> Because you report all crime. If you don't, the idiot politicians don't realise there is
>> a problem.

I'm certainly not going to increase my insurance premiums just because of some figures the idiot politicians will ignore or misuse to suit their own ends anyway.

>> You have to report all incidents to your insurance company whether you claim or not
>> anyway. It is a material fact. They find out later and they can invalidate your
>> insurance altogether.
>>
My policy says nothing about 'incidents', I'm certainly not going to report every parking ding, kerbed alloy and scratch. Whether the OP's 'incident' could be called an 'accident' is moot IMHO.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 12 Nov 11 at 19:42
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - Zero
Sorry to disagree Iffy, but that metal looks "stretched" to me.

If it were mine, I would make sure there is no bare metal or cracks in the paint, and I would leave it.
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - R.P.
Halfords do a smart repair. Hard luck Rattle.
...Sorry to disagree Iffy, but that metal looks "stretched" to me...

Quite likely, and I've never been sure about the impact of memory effect when it comes to car panels.

I would be inclined to do as you say, make sure it's rust proof then leave it.

>>
>> I would be inclined to do as you say, make sure it's rust proof then
>> leave it.
>>
Same here. it's bound to collect more as the years go by. No I wouldn't tell the insurance company, they'd be swamped if everyone reported every little ding.
Paint is scratched, not sure if its the primer has come off yet, not inspected it properly as I have jobs and everything else to sort out.

Wing is bolt on so that is a big relieve :) FIAT do this on purpose as wing replacements are common as a result of crowded Italian cities!

As the paint is all scratched it will need respraying anyway so I am going to get a quote for a new wing, respray on front wing, and while they are at it a quote for that minor dent on the rear quarter panel.

When I had bangers they never got mark on it.

One of my neighbours just commented it "its a shame because you really look after that car" probably because I am often seen checking the dipstick, putting screen wash in it and washing the car.

I imagine the main cost will be spraying the wing.
The other issue is not actually my car, it belongs to FIAT, but as I intend to pay off the loan in full I don't think it will be an issue.
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - Armel Coussine
This is one of the things that happen sometimes to car owners, especially if they live in a town.

You could get a new wing or just leave it as Zero recommends. I'm pretty sure that's what I wd do.

Don't eat your heart out over it Sheikha. C'est la vie.
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - -
I don't think Rattie should leave it, he's rightly proud of and looks after his car, why should he run round in a dented wreck because some low life with the honour of a rat can't drive.

Every time he looks at the car this damage will glower at him.
>> I don't think Rattie should leave it, he's rightly proud of and looks after his
>> car, why should he run round in a dented wreck because some low life with
>> the honour of a rat can't drive.
>>
It's hardly a 'wreck' from one little ding :-). I agree with AC and ON, it's a city car and will collect these dents, as pointed out before he bought it. May as well wait until there's a few more then get 'em done in one go.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Sat 12 Nov 11 at 15:26
>> I don't think Rattie should leave it, he's rightly proud of and looks after his
>> car, why should he run round in a dented wreck because some low life with
>> the honour of a rat can't drive.
>>
>> Every time he looks at the car this damage will glower at him.

Its all right for you country bumpkins where damage is measured by layers of horseshite your car collects, but he is a city boy, and its a consequence of the same. Its not his first and it wont be his last. In town if you fixed every little dent, scratch or ding it would take up your entire waking life.
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - PeterS
I'm with GB - although the sensible thing to do would be to leave it, if it was mine it would irritate me everytime I looked at the car, so I'd get it fixed.

I wouldn't bother claiming on my insurance though - it doesn't look that expensive. I also wouldn't be informing my insurance company. On the basis that mine asked if I'd had any claims or accidents in the last 5 years I'de quite happily say "no" if I chose to repair some damage that happened to an unattended car. After all, *I* haven't had an accident, and I don't tell them if I refurbish a curbed alloy or have a scuffed bumper touched up...

Peter
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - Dutchie
Sorry to read about this Rattle.I would wait for Ted he seem to know about somebody to have a look at the dent.According to Gordon.If it was me i would like to have it fixed.
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - Old Navy
Another option is to allow your car to accumulate its few years worth of urban dents and dings, (there will be more), and get them all sorted in one go before you sell it.
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - Fursty Ferret
Worth reporting to the police just so the crime statistics are correct.
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - Ted

Ok, Fairy Godmother is here !

Small bodyshops of repute are few and far between now 'cos of all the arches being turned into high-rent bistros. I found a very pleasant guy, Phil Metaxas, in Stockport who does the bodywork for Citroen Retail World, amongst many others.
He now does the work on our club cars. Last one he did for me was a rear ender on a Prius.
Silly driver reversed into a wall. Couldn't tell now.

Called Bodylines at Hopes Carr, Stockport. I've got the number in me motor if you need it Ratticles.

Me ? I'd get the blue felt tip out and run the car 'til it dies...but then I'm a scruffy sod.

Off to town now, got to move 2 of our cars from their bays due to tomorrow's parade.

Ted
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - bathtub tom
Might be worth trying scrap yards. You may even get one in the same colour.
>> You may even get one in the same colour.

Except that it wouldn't be, quite. What I was thinking was that if the Sheikh really felt too respectable to drive about in a normal-looking urban car with a bit of patina on it like everyone else's, the wing might only cost him 40 quid but a proper paint job might be more unless he had a very good buddy in the body shop. It's the final finish that really costs the bread.

I wouldn't do it myself though, except for a bit of corrosion-arresting touching up. Like Ted, I am a scruffy sod. It's always seemed to me that being dapper is the opposite of having style. May seem perverse to some, but that's how I am.

I bet that Roger would refuse to be seen talking to me in public.
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - Number_Cruncher
>>Except that it wouldn't be, quite.

Interestingly that's one aspect of vehicle repair which is now much easier than it used to be. Owing to the use of technology, the colour variation between batches of paint is now much smaller than it used to be. You can now have panels painted to colour code and be quite confident of obtaining a good match.

Got to my car to find front wing dented - CGNorwich
But a new panel won't match one that has been exposed to the elements for a year or two. All paints fade in the sun. Red pigments seem to be worse.
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - Focusless
We had a yellow mk1 Fiesta 30-odd years ago which my parents for reasons unknown let my sister put a few stickers on. When we came to sell it some years later and the stickers were removed, the paintwork looked, err, patchy to say the least.
Ah but CGN, you can dial in the original paint batch, latitude and longitude, five grades of air pollution from the high Rockies in spring to Manhattan on a bad summer day. Then the machine just mixes the right stuff after glancing outside to see what the weather's like today.

Still won't match under lights or in direct sunlight or something though. You still have to let it get dirty. Just as you did in the first place...

:o}

Edit: I'm not really dissing you NC and take yr point about improved colour matching these days.

But I always notice when you use the term Luddite...
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 12 Nov 11 at 18:05
Cars should be available with a fashionable 'distressed' look like retro. antique furniture. Wouldn't need to worry about a few dings and non matching paint jobs then - just add to the overall effect. Some nice "dubious stain" effect seating could be added as an upgrade.

Got to my car to find front wing dented - Stroudie
It looks to me as if the dent is on a fairly complex shape in the wing shape, and would not just push out.
Maybe it would be better to get it sorted properly by a good local bod, as suggested.
If you don't get it sorted t will be like a running sore every time you look at the car-it will be a continual irritation.
Want to get this sorted properly, as leaving big dents like this is a slippery slope. Got the money to sort it but I am worried if an indie looked at it could it affect the warranty on the car in later life?

I did think about a scrappy, but there are not that many Pandas in my colour, and Pandas are rarely scrapped (they are still too new and not that common compared to say a Focus).

I am probably looking at a new wing and spraying. I assume the door doens't need to be removed to replace it? From what I could tell there is just six bolts and it joins onto the A pillar.

Looking at it more closely it does seem cosmetic, but I do need to keep an eye on that fuel smell.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sat 12 Nov 11 at 18:59
If the paint's under a clear lacquer, then there won't be appreciable fade - even solid colours are usually protected by a clear coat now.

Behind the front wing is a favourite spot to house the carbon canister - a plastic bottle filled with activated charcoal which absorbs petrol fumes from the fuel tank, and then vents them to the inlet manifold when the ECU opens a vent valve*.

* Don't worry Luddites! - this method of managing tank fumes has been in use for about 20 years now - it isn't new technology to frighten you!
...a plastic bottle filled with activated charcoal which absorbs petrol fumes from the fuel tank...

That's another thing about modern cars I didn't know about.

Could add to the cost of a proper repair, if a new bottle or pipework is needed.

A similar example: a crack low down on the bumper of my old Focus also caused invisible damage to the headlight mounting/adjuster which added about £50 to the repair.

>>That's another thing about modern cars I didn't know about.

The fuel tank venting system is usually very reliable, and that's why it's not particularly well known.

>> >>That's another thing about modern cars I didn't know about.
>>
>> The fuel tank venting system is usually very reliable, and that's why it's not particularly
>> well known.

I know about it, it got blocked in my old pug 405, I found out about it when the car stopped dead due to a vapour lock.
>> Want to get this sorted properly, as leaving big dents like this is a slippery
>> slope. Got the money to sort it but I am worried if an indie looked
>> at it could it affect the warranty on the car in later life?
>>
'BIG' dent LOL, not seen many dented cars if you think that's big ;-)
>> 'BIG' dent LOL, not seen many dented cars if you think that's big ;-)
>>

Don't forget, it's only a small car, so relatively speaking that's a big dent ;-) It's certainly big enough to annoy me on a newish car; on a 4/5 year old car maybe I'd leave it, but not on one as new as Rattle's

Peter
That is the point, it is still a new car and one I want to be proud of, with a load of dents it will feel like an older banger.

I have the money providing its less than £300 for a proper job, if not I will just claim on the insurance.

I paid £250 as a non-insurance job to have a nasty dent and scratch removed from the rear bumper of the A4 (no parking sensors...) at a 'proper' bodyshop. www.pmc247.com/

Didn't avail myself of the courtesy Suzuki, but they also tidied up the chips along the door edges and bonnet in the price - came back looking as good as new!

Peter
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - Skip
I would have to get that sorted, I could never live with it like that - but then i am a fussy git !
Make sure that the replacement wing is a genuine Fiat one & not a pattern part as although they will be much cheaper they rarely fit properly. Also make sure that a decent rustproofing product is applied to the inside of it if you are planning to keep the car long term.
I wouldn't report it to the insurance company, perhaps you should, but i never have in similar situations !
I guess it depends on how you feel but spending £300 for something which will make absolutely no difference to your life and which I suspect you can ill afford is perhaps an extravagance.

I would suggest you leave it for a month. If you are still fretting get the work done. On the other hand you may by then hardly notice it.

Do remember that getting one ding sorted out isn't a guarantee that you will collect another the following week.
True, but if I don't get it sorted the car is worth £300 less anyway and I may one day want to sell it on.

There is that fuel smell too, which comes and goes, and I now wonder if it is a canister which has also dented.

Got to my car to find front wing dented - swiss tony
>> True, but if I don't get it sorted the car is worth £300 less anyway
>> and I may one day want to sell it on.

You WILL collect more. IMHO you would be better of waiting and getting repairs done just before the car goes back - that is unless you do take the car at the end of the lease.

>> There is that fuel smell too, which comes and goes, and I now wonder if
>> it is a canister which has also dented.
>>
I would expect the carbon canister to be mounted in the rear 1/4 panel, near to the fuel filler.
You do need to get the source of the smell checked though....
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - Cliff Pope

>> I would expect the carbon canister to be mounted in the rear 1/4 panel, near
>> to the fuel filler.
>>

On my Volvo 240 it's mounted 15 feet away from the fuel filler, at the opposite corner.

The moral of the story is don't buy new toys and then leave them outside in an urban street.
Or buy a tin of bodyfiller and a can of paint from Halfords.
>>
>> Don't forget, it's only a small car, so relatively speaking that's a big dent ;-)
>> It's certainly big enough to annoy me on a newish car; on a 4/5 year
>> old car maybe I'd leave it, but not on one as new as Rattle's
>>
>> Peter
>>
Yeah, despite being in the 'leave it' camp, i do appreciate it's annoying on a nealry new car. I put a dent in the front valence of my one and only new car when it was about 6 months old, that was jolly annoying.
At the end of the day I as angry as I am about it, I suppose it could have been a lot worse.

Will look into different options though.
I know it doesn't hep Rattle, but someone ran into the back of my car before it was a week old!! Only a scuffed bumper, but still. These things are annoying, but nothing you can do about it so no point getting angry...
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - legacylad
Just forget about it Rattle. Its only a piece of metal.
My 330 has a much bigger dent when my wheelie bin got blown into it.Plus supermarket scrapes down both bumpers. And a dent on the rear wing from a trolley. And marks all over the front bumpers when the previous owner tried to remove dead flies with a brillo pad.
When I come to sell I will sort it. It the meantime someone might steal it/write it off.
I agree its annoying.
Next week I attend a friends funeral. Get it in perspective and live with it, and don't let it affect your driving pleasue. The superficial marks on my car have no bearing on the big grin I get before every drive.
Spend the repair money on decent ale.
...Spend the repair money on decent ale...

He's probably doing that as I post, or at least spending the money on some slop in a Manc club.

been at my mates flat all night going onto meet other mates now. Wl spend a total of around 15 quid tonight. Still worried about car but burrying my grandpa in a weeks time. There are bigger issues in life than a dent toba FIAT panda.
>> There are bigger issues in life than a dent toba FIAT panda.

Now you're talking Sheikha.

These dings are narcissistic wounds or experienced as such. But it isn't your wedding tackle, it's a functional machine. And its functions aren't compromised, or hardly.

These things are always upsetting, especially when the culprit doesn't put a phone number under your wiper with an apologetic note. But they soon fade into distant memory, filed under random experience.

And listen, you don't have to just spit and drive on like us slobs and automotive sluts. You can get it fixed if you like. But there's no big rush. Do the research, ask your friends, ring Ted's recommended bodyshops. And your first stop after that should be a good, honest, straight-talking bodyshop. Take it from there. It may not cost a fortune but a proper panel repair and paint is seldom as cheap as you hope it might be. Take Ted's and the bodyshop's advice on whether you want a new panel or a bit of tin-bashing. Those who advise leaving it until you chop the car in may be right. But if you aren't going to chop it in, this and later dings (God forbid, but maybe) will get very old eventually and you may even get used to them.

Don't just chuck money at it though. Easily done, but expensive compared to a rational approach.
Focus on the funeral for now Rats - don't worry about the dent until afterwards - check to make sure that the "wound" is corrosion proof - slap on some primer if required.
Will check it later, think I have some primer in the shed :).

After the funeral next week I will then take it down to the place Ted uses in Stockport and get a quote. On the FIAT forum they seem to think if it can be beaten out and sprayed it will cost around £200.

Apparently the wing is glued on as well as bolted to make sure the fitting is water proof.
That makes perfect sense to me.
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - bathtub tom
>>the wing is glued on

I think you'll find they mean a mastic is used. Not quite the same as being glued on.
...I think you'll find they mean a mastic is used...

Sounds like the car's a gasket case.

(With a nod to the Boom Boom thread).

Cleaned the dent and most the paint is still there, only a very fine scratch, so I am hoping it can be beaten back into place.

Even if a repair isn't perfect it will look a lot better than it does.
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - Skip
It may be possibe to get it beaten out, but with labour rates being what they are wacking a new wing may still be the cheapest option.
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - idle_chatterer
That's awful Rattle, no-doubt a careless moment by someone but compounded by their dishonesty (although if we're being overly charitable there's a slim chance they didn't realise they'd done it I guess). What happened to 'do as you would be done by', maybe they'll get their come-upance some day?

It happened to me once but luckily I was in a hire car with full CDW, annoying though.

I'd look to get it repaired by a trusted independent or even the dealer 'for cash', possibly not much more than your excess cost and it won't change your future premiums / NCD.

On the positive side, your pride and joy had been 'christened' now....
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - Dog
Sorry to hear about your Panda buddy, I'd report it to the RSPCA if I were thee.
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - TeeCee
I once had a long chat with an IBM engineer working on a System/36 I looked after. In his previous work he had been a specialist on IBM colour-match paint machines. I asked what one was.
He said that basically you drive the car underneath its arm and it looks at the paint in several different frequencies of light. It then mixes a requested amount of paint that will cure to *exactly* that colour. Fiendishly complicated and hideously expensive, but you got an exact match every time so the respray was indistinguishable from the original paint. They only ever sold two in the UK, both to bodyshops who specialised in Royces, Bentleys and the like where "it has to be right and hang the expense" was the order of the day.
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - Falkirk Bairn
48 yrs ago, as a student, I got a summer job in a colour lab of a plastics company. They made a resin which was then heated and colour added. The biggest customers were The Post Office for phones (you could only rent a phone from the PO telephone company, you could not buy a phone as they had a monopoly) and LEGO - Lego Red & White were their 2 x colours.

Colour computers were new and cost £30,000 ex USA so add Purchase tax and transport (my wife started teaching in 1965 on £600 /year - ct today about £21,000!)

Needless to say the sale fell through but the staff there were very able at colour matching, daylight, artificial daylight and 2 or 3 other lights were available in the light chamber - but it could take hours, especially when it was to colour match plastic to other textures - cloth, leather, rubber.

IIRC they are about 200 x formulations for white alone - hence the colour matching issues.
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - mikeyb
Its a real downer when something like this happens, and from what I know of you through your posts you wont be able to leave it and will make yourself sick worrying about it :-)

The C5 has picked up a couple of dinks and a scuffed alloy over the last couple of years - as its leased it will cost me either way, so decided to leave it until return time and have it all done together, as quite likely to acquire more over the next 6 months
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - merlin
Sorry to hear that this happened.

I used to be a perfectionist when I was younger wanting everything to be just right. Now I'm more pragmatic.

I drive Merc E class which is coming up to 3 years old now. So far it has picked up some bad scratches on the rear bumper and a slight dent near to one of the headlights. I believe both incidents happened in car parks. When I first realised that my car had been damaged I was upset. However after a short while I felt glad as it was no longer pristine and there was no need to worry any more about keeping it that way. Odd but that's how I feel...
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - Alastairw
On the first day I owned the Octy I miss-judged the front overhang and grazed a wooden bollard. I still see the mark on the black plastic part of the bumper every time I wash it, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't bother me.

If there are some other chips and dings come trade in time I might get them sorted in one go, but otherwise a car is for driving, and town life will never be kind to the bodywork.
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - Boxsterboy
I would leave it until just before the end of the lease, personally, but if it bothers you, certainly don't claim. I've had 2 low-speed incidents in the S-max now, both of which have proved Ford's claim that the car can withstand accidents at up go 5mph with no damage. Firstly a Pug 206 ran into the back quarter (the girl was on the phone!) - dented wing on the Pug, nothing on mine. Secondly I ran into the back of an A3 (didn't see his brake lights in bright sunshine) - cracked bumper on the A3, cracked number plate on mine.

When you're older, worldly-wise and have more important things to worry about you won't think twice about minor scrapes on your car.
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - Mapmaker
>>When you're older, worldly-wise and have more important things to worry about you
>>won't think twice about minor scrapes on your car.

I'm sorry I think that's somewhat offensive. Rattle's is a particularly nasty scrape with a good chance of turning rusty through failure of the paint.

Town cars do get bashed and scraped. Mine does. And to me every extra removal of paint from a bumper is like having a nail driven into my hand. Poor Rattle's car is nearly new. I think I'd get it fixed if it were me.
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - idle_chatterer
>>
>> Town cars do get bashed and scraped. Mine does. And to me every extra removal
>> of paint from a bumper is like having a nail driven into my hand. Poor
>> Rattle's car is nearly new. I think I'd get it fixed if it were me.
>>

I think the convention is to say "+1" ?
If Iived in a city and had to park in the road I don't think I would buy a new vehicle. It's inevitable that it will suffer a few dings and scrapes and if its less than perfect to begin with you won't suffer this compulsion to restore it to perfection.

Not a universal phenomenon this obsession with appearance of cars as a quick look round an Italian, French,or Spanish street will reveal!
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - VxFan
It would help if we all looked after one anothers cars, rather than some people treating them as disposable items and thinking others do as well.
'It would help if we all looked after one anothers cars, rather than some people treating them as disposable items and thinking others do as well.'

Well it would but its not going to happen any time soon so you have to live in the real world
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - VxFan
>> Well it would but its not going to happen any time soon so you have to live in the real world

I'll just continue trying to avoid parking next to them. Not always easy though if they arrive afterwards. Thats why I observe who I've parked next to and see if it's a different car when I return and give my car a quick once over before driving off. If there is any damage, see if it was caused by who has parked next to you.
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - Mapmaker
>>If Iived in a city and had to park in the road I don't think I would buy a new vehicle.

+1

But when you buy a second hand vehicle that has been well looked after - you wouldn't buy any other sort, would you - then it still hurts.

I was very grown up when somebody - who knows she cannot reverse safely - scratched the bumper of my new-to-me car by driving it into a fence.
 Got to my car to find front wing dented - Old Navy
>> If I lived in a city and had to park in the road I don't think
>> I would buy a new vehicle.

I wouldn't either, most of our London based relatives are well able to afford new (ish) cars but choose not to because of urban damage. However they are typical low mileage urban drivers, I know one of their cars has rear ended the car in front twice and been rear ended once. In one family of five the mum is the only one who hasn't substantially damaged a car.
...the girl was on the phone!...

Must have been tempting to stuff the phone up one of her orifices.

Stupid mare.

Got to my car to find front wing dented - Dutchie
I had a few accidents in the VW Beetle dented a few wings.They where bolted on easy to replace.Backed into a bollard once.THe Lada i had got hit by a Ford Sierra no damage to Lada.Neigbour damaged the VW Jetta reversing out his drive he told me what he had done.His nose has a funny shape now.>:)
 A message for Ted - RattleandSmoke
I just wondered if Ted could give me the number for that bodyshop in Stockport, either on here, by phone or email :).

Will give them a ring tomorrow with a view for getting a quote by the end of the week.
 A message for Ted - rtj70
I assume Ted meant these:

www.bodylinesgarage.com/contact.htm

They are in the Hopes Carr area of Stockport. It's near where the Stockport air disaster of the 60s happened.
 A message for Ted - Ted

Just logged on. That's the one, Rob.
Toll Bar Street is one way so you can't get in off Hillgate. There are a few bodyshops, ignore the rest.
Bodylines is about where the ' o ' is in Toll Bar on the map. A good sound firm to deal with.

Ted
Thanks, looking at Google maps I assume I can get to Toll Bar street Mowbray street?
 A message for Ted - Ted

Yup, or Canal Street. Ask for Phil. Mention Ted from the car club.....then he can hike the price up to include my commission :-)

Ted
Got a quote £300 for the banging out the wing, respraying it and spraying the other close wings so it all blends in.

They did say it is border line new wing but they can repair it.
 A message for Ted - Clk Sec
>>Got a quote £300 for the banging out the wing, respraying it and spraying the other close wings

If it was mine, particularly as it's nearly new, I would have the job done. Couldn't be looking at a dent like that for the next decade!
 A message for Ted - -
Is that from Teds recommended place of known work quality Rattie?

As CS, i'd be getting it done.
Yeah should have said I have booked in for December (the first day they could do it). Yes it is the place Ted mentioned.

I am annoyed obviously but there is no way I can leave it, as it is also quite sharp I would guess it is only border line legal atm too.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Tue 22 Nov 11 at 15:45
 A message for Ted - Ted

He'll do you a good job Ratto. I've got to go and see him tomorrow so I'll put in a good word for you.
Got to collect an IQ ( horrid ) and drive it over to Leeds......then come back on the puffer.
Looking forward to the train...not the drive, but it won't be in the rush hour, have to collect a Fiesta first thing, been mis-fuelled, and bring it back to Chorlton..Lots of tram 'n train.

Major baking at home, so best out of the way !

Ted
 Got car back - RattleandSmoke
Just got the car back looks like they have done a good job, but its raining so its hard to tell but certainly so far I cannot tell there was ever a dent there.

Seems to be a bit less grease in the bonnet though, but that may just be my imagination.

I decided not to get the two smaller dents on the rear quarter panel done as I am always loading things from the doors if I get that fixed it is likely to happen again so no point.

Got the 22 to Stockport which was fairly painless, unlike the 23 yesterday in Didsbury which failed to turn up, the result it took an hour to get 2.9 miles down the road. I am so glad to get the car back.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Tue 6 Dec 11 at 16:23
 Got car back - Armel Coussine
>> I am so glad to get the car back.

Yes, they are strangely useful devices aren't they? You must be very chuffed Sheikha.

Would it be indelicate to ask if you escaped less than 300 quid down? One would hope that Ted's quiet word in your favour would have had a positive effect. Even so, the VAT component never fails to give one a jolt. Sometimes paying in readies can reduce that.

Got car back - -
Sometimes paying in readies can reduce that.
>>

Ah but you have a way with the words AC and a man after me own heart, there must be some Irish ancestry lurking about in you.

Glad your motor is mended Rattie, and no salt had a chance to get into the nooks and crannies before repair.
 Got car back - PeterS
>> ...and no salt had a chance to get into the nooks and crannies before repair.

Don't give him anything else to worry about!!
 Got car back - Zero
To get salt into nooks and crannies it actually has to go somewhere. Its never seen salt.
 Got car back - Dog
>>Ah but you have a way with the words AC<<

Ah, but - mone£ speaks many languages gb.
 Got car back - RattleandSmoke
I did pay cash but I did get a sort of hand written receipt when I requested one.

Hopefully when it stops raining I will have a better chance to have a look at it, as so far it has been impossible to see if the paint is obviously a different shade.

Early signs are it is a very high quality repair though.
 Got car back - mikeyb
>> Sometimes paying in readies can reduce that.
>> >>
>>
>> Ah but you have a way with the words AC and a man after me
>> own heart, there must be some Irish ancestry lurking about in you.

Had some building work done once and remember the builder telling me the only VAT he was aware of was the one that comes in a bottle...
Latest Forum Posts