Motoring Discussion > What's an old car battery worth? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 21

What's an old car battery worth? - bathtub tom
It must weigh about ten Kilos. Is it worth taking it to my local scrapyard or should I give it to the 'totter' that crawls around the area, ringing a hand-bell, from his old Tranny?
 What's an old car battery worth? - Zero
you wont get anything for it, but the totter will at least save you going down the tip. (sorry local council recycling centre)
 What's an old car battery worth? - carmalade
I have just sent a load to the local scrap dealer ,and on average got £4 a go.
 What's an old car battery worth? - sooty123
A fiver round here.
 What's an old car battery worth? - VxFan
Prices have gone up again then. Last year I took approx 7 batteries and 8 bin liners of aluminium drinks cans and foil food trays to a scrappy on the outskirts of Oxford and got £16 for them.
8 bin bags? Thats a lot of Carling there dave.
 What's an old car battery worth? - R.P.
...and takeaways....

Mind you, may have a kernel of a plan. Lot of effort goes into recycling for the useless institution called the Council (They "forgot" to re-negotiate school electricity bills a few weeks ago costing tax payers 27,000 pounds) - wonder if there was a future in, say, the village collecting all its own aluminium recycling and selling it on ourselves.....?
 What's an old car battery worth? - Dog
>>wonder if there was a future in, say, the village collecting all its own aluminium recycling and selling it on ourselves.....?<<

Doesn't sound a bad idea to me, but what about storage/collection/delivery etc..
 What's an old car battery worth? - R.P.
Take a deal with a recycling firm to provide a container maybe ?
 What's an old car battery worth? - Dog
This appears to be a good idea ~

www.alupro.org.uk/aluminium-recycling-news/story/every_can_counts_business_recycling_in_barnstaple
>> 8 bin bags? Thats a lot of Carling there dave.

My dad and his brother in their younger days dabbled a lot with old cars, washing machines, copper wire, etc. During his later years he just collected the drinks cans, food trays and the occasional car battery he'd find at the side of the road or dumped somewhere.

Every 6 months or so he'd commute to Oxford and drop them off at a scrappy. He then carried on into Oxford with my mum and do a bit of shopping and have a bite to eat. OK, he didn't earn much from the scrap, but it was enough to pay for his petrol, have a day out, and for both of them to have a meal with.

Shortly after he passed away last year I started clearing out the garage and found a load of bin liners full of aluminium cans and a few batteries. In memory of him I took mum to Oxford for a day out with her just like dad used to do, including stopping off at the scrap yard first.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 8 Dec 11 at 00:41

>> of him I took mum to Oxford for a day out with her just like
>> dad used to do, including stopping off at the scrap yard first.

I hope you remembered to pick her her up on the way back?
>> I hope you remembered to pick her her up on the way back?

That might explain why it's so quiet, and there's no dinner on the table.
 What's an old car battery worth? - car4play
I got £15 for two a few months ago. I must confess I was quite shocked the amount was so high.
Just 'phoned my nearest scrap metal merchant - £175/tonne.

It weighs just over 10Kg, that's less than a couple of quid. It'll cost me more than that in fuel.

The totter can have it.
 What's an old car battery worth? - car4play
I took mine to a non-ferrous merchant. We can postulate to our hearts content about how much we might get for a battery. All I know is what I got for them.
As for the fuel, naturally it isn't worth the extra trip, but if you know you are passing nearby, then stick them in the boot..
 What's an old car battery worth? - Runfer D'Hills
Are we talking current prices?
Blimey i would charge ion down there.
I was hoping for something more positive.
 What's an old car battery worth? - Clk Sec
Halfords gave me a £2 voucher for my old battery four years ago when I bought a new one from them. I picked up another this morning, but was offered nowt for the old one.
 What's an old car battery worth? - Runfer D'Hills
No charge sir?
 What's an old car battery worth? - Clk Sec
>> No charge sir?

'We can fit it for £6.99'

Not bad for the plutocrats amongst us and those not wanting to dirty their hands or lug a battery around. For me though, that'll just about pay for a small glass of red wine and a pint of paint stripper on Saturday night.
Latest Forum Posts