Motoring Discussion > My Volvo intercooler Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 10

My Volvo intercooler - WillDeBeest
Loud raspberry to Videodoctor for being po-faced about some very mild thread drift.

I had my intercooler replaced by my dealer, with a Volvo part to the original spec. Part cost £210, labour another £198, both including VAT. Volvo dealers' Club Six scheme for aged cars like mine meant that was less expensive than the same job at the two independents I know of round here, and dealing with mine is such a pleasant and convenient experience that I'd need a compelling reason not to.

As for D5 intercoolers being 'fragile', mine lasted nine years and 120,000 miles and was only occasionally troublesome rather than utterly knackered. I've never run a car to anything like this mileage before, so I don't begrudge it the occasional new part. Perhaps my driving style suits it (I did get 108,000 miles out of the original front brake pads) but it does surprise me to read of so many failures. I suspect self-selection plays a part; after all, who bothers to post on a forum that their car has been working as expected?

Now, take that and drift it. My dealer is in Maidenhead, incidentally. Someone must have had an auntie there. Go on - Videodoctor knows you want to.
};---)
 My Volvo intercooler - ....
I think the fragile comment comes frm the fact it's such a well documented fix for these cars.
I've run three turbo charged cars now two diesel, one petrol and this is the first where I've had to replace this item.

Still like the car though. Suits me for the kind of motoring I do.
 My Volvo intercooler - Iffy
...Loud raspberry to Videodoctor for being po-faced about some very mild thread drift...

I think the Euro crisis is not the fault of the bankers at all, furthermore....

Just a little Saturday morning humour, now back to Volvo intercoolers, please.

My Volvo intercooler - corax
>> Now, take that and drift it. My dealer is in Maidenhead, incidentally. Someone must have
>> had an auntie there. Go on - Videodoctor knows you want to.
>> };---)

Did you buy your car from there WDB, and was your experience at the dealer pleasant?

:o}

If someone comes on the forum who say's that they know these cars inside out (Volvo D5's), I take the opportunity to ask them a few questions while they are here. I notice from oilburners profile that he doesn't appear often, so it's a good opportunity to get information. And when other owners are present like WDB and gmac, all the better. OK there was slight thread drift, but when the actual OP is happy to drift and discuss his car ownership, then I don't really see it's a problem. The subject of intercoolers just came along, and I don't think it would have lasted much longer.

To me it's like a pub. A large group of people are discussing a main subject, then they slowly leave and what you have left are a few small groups in the corners discussing slightly different subjects (muttering under their flat caps as GB so eloquently puts it :) They do this because they are with people who they know have certain information that might be useful.

The drift is one of the best things about this forum. And if someone doesn't like the subject matter, they can always shuffle on past that particular door and party poop another. Reasonable?

Don't know what to say about intercoolers now :)

My Volvo intercooler - madf
Audi A2/Polo TDI interccolers are a well known fragility. It's called poor design and manufacture..
 My Volvo intercooler - oilburner
FWIW it was my thread too, and I didn't mind the drift. Hey ho!

IMHO, I would expect the intercooler to last the lifetime of the car, which in the case of a Volvo should be a minimum of 250,000 miles or 20 years! :)

Of course, the reality is far from that these days, and Volvo is just one in a sea of many others.

My contribution for drift today, another thing on these D5s is that they benefit from regular cleaning of the EGR plenum mixer chamber. It's easy to get to and a straightforward, if mucky job. Does them the world of good!

Oh, and always remember to fix the air filter box cover on properly, it tends not to be attached correctly at the back and that can result in the filter becoming wet. Even the dealers are guilty of this!
Last edited by: oilburner on Sat 10 Dec 11 at 10:33
>> Oh, and always remember to fix the air filter box cover on properly, it tends
>> not to be attached correctly at the back and that can result in the filter
>> becoming wet. Even the dealers are guilty of this!

There's mention of that on the other place oilburner - something about the lid damaging the airbox due to it's design, ultimately ending up with a damaged MAF.

gmac - another company for you here, although it doesn't look like they have an intercooler specifically for the S60 - although they can make one after discussing your requirements. They do look strong if you read the blurb.

www.proalloy.co.uk/cgi-bin/sitewise.pl?act=sect&s=1081&pt=1079&id=proalloy
You need to check the main alloy pipe from the airbox to turbo too as, when servicing, if the pipework isn't loosened properly at the airbox end, it will snap the retaining clip midway along the alloy pipe putting extra strain on the rubber pipework at the turbo end resulting in split rubber. Not an easy repair either.

This is the reason why I leave all the servicing to someone who knows what they are doing around these cars and why I want the IC done properly as there are a few sensors round the front which don't like being tampered with.

A big screwdriver down the back of the airbox main body to stop it deforming helps locate the top to the main box when replacing the air filter.

As oilburner mentioned the EGR plenum benefits from a clean every couple of years too. Some examples on the Volvo forum of cars with six figure mileages and you can barely see how the air gets through they are so gunked up.
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 10 Dec 11 at 13:16
 My Volvo intercooler - -
I too would expect a long service life from an intercooler, given a bit of regular care to make sure it's mountings are in good condition and no stretched or bodged connectors or pipes to put excessive strain in the thing.

What i can't fathom is the very high cost of them, they are only a simple radiator after all albiet instead of coolant they carry compressed air, i also can't understand why more people don't get their local radiator repair shop to see if they can do something with them.

OK one thats falling to bits isn't going to be worthwhile as a repair job but one springing a leak in a corner or bursting one vane should be a simple enough fix, does no one do this.

Not having suffered such a failure i haven't tried this route but it would be my first call.

On the costings front my lad bought a huge great upgrade front mount IC for his Scooby and i foolishly offered to help him fit it, wish i'd kept me gob shut but there you go, but i remember the cost of the kit being very reasonable considering all mounts and pipework in well made polished alloy with good quality rubber pipes and stainless clamps all included at similar prices being quoted here for what is basically just an alumimium radiator polished to maybe justify the cost.

By the way i couldn't tell the difference after the map was tweaked following the front IC conversion but he swears it was worth it...frightened the life out of me before he ever started upgrading the thing, now running some 350hp and weighs in under a ton..;)
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sat 10 Dec 11 at 13:38
I might look into that gb but some of the other images I've seen have been complete rips near the return pipe to the EGR plenum. This might be why no one is looking at recores like you do with water rads.
>> As oilburner mentioned the EGR plenum benefits from a clean every couple of years too.
>> Some examples on the Volvo forum of cars with six figure mileages and you can
>> barely see how the air gets through they are so gunked up.

Blank off the EGR valve after cleaning? No codes show up on the dash, allegedly.
Latest Forum Posts